“PERFECTO!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Surrey
“PERFECTO!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

What a wonderful place. Location, staff, hotel, breakfast, bed, quality overall was amazing. I cannot fault this hotel. It is my first stay in Madrid and went to celebrate my boyfriend’s birthday. I had previously booked into the H10 Villa de Reina, until I read a review to say that it’s currently having outside maintenance and is covered in scaffolding and sheeting. I quickly cancelled and rebooked into the Palacio de Tepa.

The staff were attentive, helpful and spoke excellent English. I asked for a spacious room overlooking the square with a balcony and that is exactly what I got. If you do go to this hotel, try room 406, it is a perfect location (a 5 minute walk from Sol) and has triple aspect with balconies, all very modern and still felt classically Spanish at the same time. As for the bed, well it was huge and very comfortable.

The breakfast was plentiful and special. A huge range of fruits, pastries, sliced meats/cheeses, sandwiches, cereals, toasts etc and you could also order a hot breakfast like omelette or I had the Spanish omelette which was fabulous! Also there is cava on ice so I made buck fizz with my breakfast too!

The only down side is that we didn't stay long enough!

All in all a wonderful experience and came back thoroughly relaxed.

Big thanks to the Palacio de Tepa, we hope to see you again!

Room Tip: 406, great view over the square
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

I think this will be one of the best hotels in Madrid soon. I say "will be" because the hotel was opened last October, and you still smell the new paint in the room. I think it will be gone by the end of the summer. I don't know why odourless water based paints do not become the industry standard, also for wood; they are as durable. This is especially important in hotels, because they tend to keep the windows of all unused rooms tightly closed for hygiene reasons. Anyway, this is not a problem specific to this hotel, but common to all new hotels, sometimes even to older ones with bad material (paint, varnish, or carpet) selection.

Staying in the room, it was also not an option to leave the windows open for ventilation at night, because it is quite noisy outside. There are a few rooms at the interior courtyard or under the roof, but balcony to one of the most joyful squares in Madrid is what contributes to the charm of staying here, so I would recommend a room with a balcony, in spite of all.

The location is just marvelous! Most museums are within minutes; many good restaurants, tapas bars are in the surrounding. One of the best live music clubs next door, the other just next block straight ahead.

The superior room at the corner was comfortably spacious, the standard rooms also reasonably wide; all with a simple but beautiful elegance. We had no major complaints about cleanliness, but I must say the cleaning lady was far too hasty as if pressed for time; this is especially a handicap as the dark wood floors show every particle of dust. The rest of the staff was very professional as experienced in most NH hotels.

The breakfast was excellent, not giving a feeling of abundance, but of quality and good choice.

When we return to Madrid, I don’t think we would bother to look for another hotel.

1 Thank akliselim
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

We picked this hotel because of it's central location. We paid 115euro per night for a king room. When we checked in we were told that we could not have a king room as booked and had to settle for 2 twin beds pushed together... Which was annoying.
The rooms were pleasant enough but bathrooms were not big enough to swing a rat ... Really tiny.
Location is awesome however we quickly discovered that Madrid is a small city and easy to walk around so you maybe able to get cheaper hotels a little further out.
Hotel bar is pricey and intriguingly bedecked in hundreds of small red plastic flamenco dolls... The kind of thing you buy as a tat souvenir...I think they were trying to be cool but frankly it just looks naff and cheap....with hints of freaky scariness.
Concierge was very helpful and whilst the hotel is stylish it is devoid of atmosphere ...but then for a city break you just want somewhere clean, tidy and in a good spot...and on this agenda the hotel scores well.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Pleasantly surprised, having used nh before, was prepared for the same ammenities decoration etc... But it was completely new! The best; bulgari ammenties in the room and great bathrobes! Not a stuffy five star, more up beat, homely and cozy. Made you feel at home. The tapas bar and staff are fantastic!

• Stayed May 2011
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

We arrived late in the evening and were given a superior room as the standard rooms were taken. Dark wood sloping roof with skylight- nice enough, but the following am we changed to a standard room which was lighter and brighter with its own balcony opening out to 'Plaza de Angel'. Loved everything about this room and was spacious too. Fabulous breakfasts, ideal location just 10 metres from Plaza de Santa Ana, Plaza Major a 5min.walk, 15mins max to the museums, 3 min to metro, but all places in 'old' and 'royal' madrid could just walk to.. Very lively area with loads of tapas bars and restaurants. Try 'Ginger' restaurant just 10 metres along the road for great food in lovely surroundings. Suprisingly good value for money for such a nice restaurant. Get there for opening at 8.30 before the queue starts..This place is popular for a good reason-fantastic food!! Would stay at NH Palacio de Tepa again. It was a 5 star experience for my husband and I!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I got this hotel on priceline, and for the price, it was a good value. The location really can't be beat. You are within a fifteen minute walk from the Prado and the Reina Sofia art museums, and about the same to the Royal Palace. And if you are into feeling the pulse of the city, you are also really close to the Puerta Del Sol plaza. I was there during the big rallies going on there, so that was definitely worth a stroll.

As for the room itself, well, it was small. The bed took up most of the room, but there was also a small desk right beneath the TV that you could have done a bit of work on I suppose. The bathroom was pretty small, but well equipped, with nice fixtures. Considering I was alone, it wasn't bad. You might get a bit sick of your travel partner if sharing, though.

I had a room on the 5th floor, which I think is the top, looking out onto what I think was a skylight from the restaurant. Not much of a view, but it was more quiet than a room that looked out onto the street. But to be honest, I didn't really feel the street was crazy loud or anything, just a typical urban street. Cars only go in one direction around there, so there isn't a lot of honking.

I would stay here again if I got a good rate. The wifi was free, and the service polite if not outstanding. If you're looking for a convenient option on a quick trip to Madrid, you should at least consider this one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at the NH Palacio de Tepa for four nights in June 2011.

This NH hotel is very new (less than a year old) and it certainly had the feeling of a top notch hotel. The hotel and our room itself were impeccably clean.

We had a room on the top floor (the 5th floor). It was very large with exposed wood beams. There was a ton of closet space for unpacking our clothes. The room looked out on a sort of courtyard so it was very quiet. The service from the cleaning staff is to be noted as our room was checked twice daily and was always in spotless condition. One issue we did have with our room was the hot water (or lack thereof). Showering between 8 and 9 proved challenging as we found there to be very little hotel water during this time (which is too bad as the shower was very nice). Perhaps because the hotel primarily serves business travelers too many people are showering at this time. The hotel needs to address this issue. Another issue with our room was that the towel warmer did not function. Perhaps a kink considering the newness of the hotel, but still something that needs to be fixed. The hotel has very good free high-speed wireless.

The location of the hotel is absolutely fantastic for tourists. Nearly everything you want to see (e.g., Museo del Prado, Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, etc...) is within walking distance. The metro in Madrid is also cheap and efficient and the "Anton Martin" metro stop is 200 meters from the hotel, so that too is an option for getting around. There are many good places to eat and shop near the hotel as well. We generally like to walk everywhere when we travel and the central location of this hotel definitely made that possible for us.

We would highly recommend this hotel to others. It is a 5-star hotel, and while it may not be on par with the Ritz and some other leading 5-star brands, it certainly met our expectations and provided good value for our money.