“Introduction to Madrid”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio de Salamanca
Description: "With its traditional zinc-top bar and wall tiles, this much-loved Castizo taberna is among the very best Madrileño eating spots for enjoying cocido. The chef even includes a junior version (cocido pequeño) on his menú infantil. The great seafood specialties here are bacalao pil pil (Basque cod in a spicy green sauce) and besugo la madrileño besugo (or sea bream), being the most highly esteemed fish in the capital due to its exquisite flavor. Other homemade dishes include sopa de fideos (noodle soup) and huesos de tuétano (marrow bone). The dining area, set back beside pillars from the tapas bar, is quiet and relaxing, and the service is friendly." -Zagat
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We were recommended to eat here by friends who had just had lunch there. We had arrived an hour after they did from the airport. We did not realize that we walked in as they were preparing to close. After a short discussion they agreed to serve us lunch which was very good. The soup was excellent and the rest of the meal was also very good. Everyone from the bartender to the waiter to others who came by the table were very nice. This is a locals place and we are glad that we were able to experience Madrid food as a resident.

1  Thank bluelu1951
There are newer reviews for Taberna de la Daniela Goya

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We went in a Sunday evening at about 9 oclock. Weirdly, we are the one two at the restaurant. We ordered gaspachos, calamares, Madrid style trippe and stewed vegetables, all are good. However, a bit frustrated to order as no one spoke English to explain the menu.

1  Thank Ivilla
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The best crocidolite in Madrid, but, on a hot day, the home made gazpacho is the best. The grilled vegetables and tortilla de palatable made as you order was just perfect. Service excellent, professional, and so friendly.

1  Thank gabnraf
Reviewed 17 June 2013

If you like to be ignored by the waiters and bartender this is the place for you. We were there with no attention for 15 minutes. We left.

1  Thank Jongler1
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I went to visit a friend in Madrid this January, and we went to "Taberna de la Daniela", near "Congreso de los diputados", to try a real cocido, which is a typical food from central Spain.

We phoned to book a table, but we made the mistake of booking in a different restaurant of the same chain. When we arrived there we didn't appear in the list, but as we were there very early they gave a table to us with no problem, which is much appreciated.

Then we ordered a cocido, some water and a bottle of wine. I asked the waitress to recommend a bottle of wine, and she didn't have a clue (she didn't even know what grapes did each wine have). There were some wines in the menu that I had tried before, and were fine, but I wanted to try something different, so I ordered a "Monte Castrillo" "Ribera del Duero" wine that I had never tried before; the waitress said it was a good wine. It was the worst decision I could make, I think that wine was just good enough to use for cooking, but not to be served with a nice cocido: no body at all, it tasted like alcohol.. I don't know if it was that the vintage year was very bad or the wine is always that bad, but they should not have it in the menu in a place that serves such a nice cocido and is so expensive.

First of all they brought the broth, which is the result of boiling meat, ham bones and vegetables, it was very tasty, and the portion was very big. When we had a couple of serves each, there was still enough soup for one more serve each, and at that point the waitress came and asked "do you want more soup, guys?" We answered "No, I think we are fine", and then she wanted to take away what was left. I imagined she was asking "do you want me to bring more soup or is it fine with what you have now?" because I could not think that in a nice and expensive restaurant they will try to get rid of you that fast. I had one more serve myself before the waitress took the rest away.

Then she brought the meat and chickpeas. It was very good too, specially the ham. As we were full, we skipped the desserts and ordered an espresso, which was ok.

Then we asked for the bill: it was quite expensive, I would say that it was overpriced, but it's understandable because it's a nice cocido in the centre of Madrid and the place is quite known. But for that price, I would have expected a nicer wine, and a more relaxed waiting service, to make an enjoyable experience that would have been worth the money. Also, the restaurant got very busy during the lunch, and it was quite noisy, this is not their fault but it may be something you want to consider too.
I would consider eating there again, but I would certainly not order the same wine, and maybe I would go to the second shift expecting a more relaxed meal.