“Loved the layout”

Ranked #2 of 775 things to do in Madrid
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Prado has one of the largest art collections in the world, and is best known for its diverse assortment of works by Velasquez, Goya and El Greco.
Northern NJ
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Loved the layout”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This museum is a must-see for anyone in Madrid for at least 3-4 days. The collection is impressive and sizable!

• Arabic first
  • Vietnamese first
Norwich, United Kingdom
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Sorry but this wasn't as good as expected”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Went to the Prado when you could get in for free between 6-8pm. Really liked the idea of not having to pay as it saved four of us around 60 euros. We started queuing at 5:45 which was a good time, as five minutes later, the queue had doubled and we only had to wait 20 mins before we were let in.

I've been to a lot of art galleries in my time, but none have disappointed me so much as this one. I don't know what it was, but the paintings were just really uninspiring. I know a lot of people would disagree.

I'm still glad I can say I've been, and even more glad it was free.

Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“How could you not love this place ?”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It has been 25 years since I last visited the Prado, I love it as much today as I did then. The art is powerful and full of hidden messages. The Artist on display were masters of not only technique but of the changing political and Religious world around them. Take your time and explore deep into what the Artist have to say through these spectacular works of art.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Goya Galores!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was here to see Goya/Velasquez/Reubens works (among other famed painters). If you are a museum enthusiast, you probably already know that one day is not really sufficient to cover this entire museum. Do remember to take along the museum plan placed at the reception (it is free). It will help you pace yourself around better, especially if you are short on time!

chicago
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“free”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

go a couple of nights late after it is free. It makes the art even better. The line looks long, but it moves along and then the place is huge so no worries about crowds

Visited February 2014