“Right in the centre of Madrid, 5* at good prices”
Review of Hotel Villa Real

Hotel Villa Real
Ranked #37 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Location, location, location... right in the Plaza de las Cortes, by the Spanish Congress you can find this little gem of hotel. Around 15 years old, if first opened as a 4 star hotel (I remember!) and with the years and some additions it became a 5 star hotel many years ago.

I got a duplex room, sort of a junior suite, which is the penthouse top two floors (5th and 6th floor) The living room (with TV) and half bathroom downstairs and the bedroom (second TV) and large bathroom upstairs, plus a fabulous terrace overlooking Madrid and the Congress buidling. All in all it is two small-ish floors but making for a very interesting room proposition and out of the ordinary.

At 168 Euros per night (internet rate) I found it very reasonable for such a room in the centre of Madrid. The room has a CD player, cable TV, wifi, safe, bar and all other amenities of a 5* hotel. It belongs to Derby hotels and guests here can use the fantastic terrace bar and swimming pool of its sister Hotel around the corner: Urban, a super modern 5* Grand Luxe hotel super-trendy. You can even charge your drinks at Urban to your Villa Real room: a plus. Visit its glass bar, a small super-trendy bar where many cool people meet. Pricey but oozes quality. Try their coktails.

The Villa Real hotel is small and friendly, the "business centre has only one computer and printer but hardly anyone uses it. When you step out you are yards away from some of the best museums in the Wolrd, such as the Thyssen modern Collection , the PRADO Museum and the Reina Sofia Museum. You will find yourself steps away from two of the best hotels in town, the Palace and the Ritz and walking distance to Puerta del Sol, a great square which is the "geographic centre of Spain" called Kilometre "0". From there you can stroll around shops and the old Madrid with its twisting and narrow streets, monuments and great restaurants.

So, if you want 5* quality at 4* prices, then I recommend Villa Real.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank julio b
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

Felix García Hernán

Write a ReviewReviews (1,872)

Reviewed 21 July 2010

We stayed for 2 nights recently in this fine hotel. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful. It's right near the Prado and the other museums and the botanical gardens. Loved staying at this hotel. Nice free breakfast, anything you could want.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2010

Reviewed 23 June 2010

I'm so dissappointed with how this hotel handled my reservation. I had received several recommendations for this hotel and was anxious to book a room. I reserved an upgrade for the split level duplex room which has a large bed and seperate lounge area with a sofa. I happen to be traveling alone with my 2 children (9 & 14) in July. This was going to be a safe, small, well located hotel for us. Well, unfortunately, the hotel does not allow more than 2 people in this particular room-no exceptions. They conveniently offered a smaller room and a cot as an alternative (at a much higher rate). I just felt that after several emails back and forth as well as a phone call, that they were being a bit rigid and it was short-sighted not to make the exception. Did I say it was for only 2 nights...really now.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2010

Please be assured that we have taken good note of every comment in your
Feedback.

Improve our services continually.

Anyway I would like to inform you that as you know, you have choosen a very special rate with limited conditions. This very discounted rate was only available for the duplex suite for a maximum occupancy of 2 people in the room, so we offer you the different options for your family with the best conditions, but this same rate was not available for the request you have.

Reviewed 23 June 2010

We stayed here when we first arrived Madrid, and then at the Urban Hotel when we returned a week later. It fairly pales alongside the Urban, and I have to agree with those who question it's 5th star. However, I actually found it's plainness and honesty quite pleasing, and classy in an unforced way; owners clearly went to lengths to preserve gracious fittings from a previous era. Bathroom was superb. Linens and finishes excellent. Front desk was very good. We took a duplex for it's private terrace, and while it was nice to have a variety of spaces (including 2 bathrooms!), the bedroom was painfully small. No other complaints -but nothing truly wowed me either. My heart is now with the Urban.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 June 2010

I'm not really sure what these bad reviews are about. We had a beautiful room. It was clean, comfortable, classy. These are the 3 C's I look for in a room and I found them here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Though, I had lived in Madrid and didn't need much help with finding things etc. I have to say the location is fantastic! Right between Sol and the Prado. Perfect. We had been traveling for sometime and this was our final stop. It ended our trip on a high note. I would stay here again and recommend it to everyone I know :)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2010

The Villa Real is rated a 5 star, and with it's sister hotel being the Urban, you wouldn't doubt it. It's also reviewed in the Small Luxury Hotels of the World (and every other one of them is good). The Villa Real, however, is staid, the double beds are two single mattresses put together (on an awful bed), and even having a normal shower causes the room to flood. Would definitely not stay again!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2010

Please be assured that we have taken good note of every comment in your
Feedback.

Improve our services continually.

Anyway I would like to inform you that our mattresses have the highest quality of the market and indeed with a zipper system we could make one double bed of 2x1.80m or twin beds, on behalf of our guest’s needs.

Reviewed 18 April 2010

I reviewed Villa Real on TripAdvisor in 2006 and still find it an okay value when I find a special rate. The location cannot be beat for vacationers. The major construction project at the doorstep could be problematic for cross-Atlantic travellers who want/need to sleep in a bit, and the walls and floors are not adequately insulated from neighbor's rooms. I could hear a neighbor very clearly through the bathroom walls or ceiling. Very expensive internet, but no signal problems. Otherwise, the front desk and door staff is professional and helpful, the rooms are spotless, the beds comfortable, breakfast expansive, hotel restaurant very good with great staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business