“Third time in this wonderful hotel - Highly recommended”
Review of HOTEL OPERA

HOTEL OPERA
Ranked #125 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Third time in this wonderful hotel - Highly recommended”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed eight days in this hotel (my third time in three years) and can't say enough good things about it. The location is wonderful: a very short walk to the subway, Palace, Gran Via, Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor. Comfortable, clean room with plenty of electrical outlets, safe. The buffet breakfast is very good. The staff is wonderful: helpful and friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Maiglesias
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comment regarding your stay with us, here at the Hotel Ópera.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

You can still find the best offers on our official website in your next visit to our city.

From the heart of Madrid and from our entire team we extend our warmest regards.

Maria Carús

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Northampton
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed 1 night as part of an excellent inclusive deal with BA. Warmly welcomed.
Good enough room with a street view but still quiet.

Breakfast time was actually not what was stated in the room, finishing earlier but the staff were relaxed about it. The breakfast was good.

Location was central for walking and also to access to the metro

Service in Café rather slow possibly as some folk who may have been regulars got more attention than the staffing level could really afford.

Would consider again dependent on price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Let me start by thanking you for completing our guest survey regarding your recent stay with us, here at the Hotel Opera.
Your referrals about the location, staff and services are very important to us to encourage our staff and ourselves.

London
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Firstly let me start by saying this hotel isn't a bad hotel. It was average but with a little tweaking could be a lovely place to stay.

The Room
I was a singe traveller so put in what felt like the smallest room in the hotel but it was perfectly acceptable for my needs. However, they clearly had split one big room into two small ones but not properly so you could hear everytime someone showered, went to the toilet or made any normal loudness of noise at all from the other side of the wall.

The room was mostly clean apart from I did notice my toilet bowl hadn't been cleaned and had wee down from previous guest. Little thing that should have been picked up.

Also when I arrived I noticed my TV was 'propped on the side'. I looked closer and the entire TV fell out of the wall. When reported a man came to fix straight away but again something that should have been noticed prior to anyone checking in and potentially dangerous.

The breakfast
Is expensive for what it is but has adequate fruit, cereal, bread and bacon to make your own bacon sandwich. However, I noticed on final day I asked for coffee and was given a coffee pot from someones table who had just left - fresh coffee isn't too much to ask!!

The Staff
All seem ok but no one went hugely out of their way at all, apart form one lady on reception who seemed to be the only person who knew what to do. A good morning / afternoon as you come back in shouldn't be too much to ask not been told where breakfast is served or directed to your room on your first day.

The Gym
Finally the gym is small but works well - but don't expect and great views your cant see through the window as they're in desperate need for cleaning

Overall, the hotel is OK. Its clean linen and comfortable bed but didn't give me much more, other than a great location to base yourself from.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LauraJLondon
Dear guest,

From Manager Department we assure you that we take note about your comments to improve our installations and our service.

Berkshire
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at the hotel over the weekend of the Champion's League final and felt right amongst the atmosphere but a quiet location come evening. Just off the main thoroughfares of Gran Via and Calle de Arenal, ideally located for easy reach of the Royal Palace and most of the key attractions. Perfect for hopping on the open top bus tour and easy access to the Metro too. Rooms are compact but have all the amenities you'll need for a short stay. Modern and clean feel although the layout of the bathroom required some careful negotiation if paying a visit in the middle of the night or after a bottle or two of Rioja! Rather a tight squeeze to access the toilet...
Initially concerned about close proximity of room to the lift shaft but this didn't cause any disturbance for a light sleeper!
Breakfast was good, a variety of things on offer and sets you up for a busy day of sightseeing. Reception staff helpful and obliging and always ready to say hello. Didn't try the restaurant but visited the Cafe for a light lunch one day - Great cakes and pastries.
Took a pre-booked segway tour on our first morning, great way to get your bearings and also took the Metro to the Zoo (get off train at Casa de Campo rather than Batan, as it's signposted). Worth making an early visit, especially at the weekend, to beat the crowds at the animal enclosures. Loved seeing the Pandas and walking through the lemur enclosure.
Would definitely recommend this hotel as the perfect location to enjoy the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingTnA
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We went to the Hotel Opera in May and we really enjoyed our stay. Extremely nice and very helpful staff and its location is absolutely perfect! We did not have to take the transport at all - we could walk virtually to every major tourist attraction in Madrid. The area is beautiful with a lot going on during the day and at night time. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 20 May 2014

For Madrid, this hotel is in an great location - you can easily walk to so many of the great sites, including the Palace, Mercado, Puerta del Sol and Plaza de Espana. Outside the hotel is a really nice small plaza with restaurants and while I was there a great little food fair.

I had a single room and I was not pleased with it. There was about a foot between the bed and the desk with no room to move around, really sit at the desk comfortably, etc. The bathroom was a decent size. Hotel seemed fairly clean. I had the breakfast and if you can get it free in your room rate, it is good, otherwise, I would step outside and enjoy something a little less expensive nearby.

Service overall was not very good. The front desk staff always looked as if I was bothering them if I asked a question or even upon check in and check out. I saw them be friendly with others, so I don't know if it was because I was American or for some other reason. I had dinner in the Opera Café one night and the service was horrible and the food wasn't too much better. The waiter was actually quite rude. I would not recommend it.

I would return to this hotel again if I was able to get a good rate simply for the location. I really loved the ability to quickly walk to so many places.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AngieRoberson
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed for four nights and couldn't believe the location. It's really close to the palace and (unsurprisingly) the Opera House, which means it's also close to lots of shops and restaurants. A lot of the shops are open late so you can go for a browse after dinner, you know you're on holiday when you can do that! Great for the palace too, it's useful to get there early as it gets so busy, as it's literally round the corner that's easy to do.

The room was large and quiet, with a clean fully equipped bathroom (no bath but you don't tend to get them in Spain). Also no kettle, but again they don't tend to provide them so fair enough.

The hotel is really close to the Metro so easy to get around, but surprisingly quiet at night. We felt really safe wandering around. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple