“PERFECT place to stay in Madrid”

Posada del Leon de Oro
Ranked #154 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Auckland, New Zealand
“PERFECT place to stay in Madrid”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We looooved our stay at this hotel.
Staff were extremely helpful and very accommodating
the location is superb few min walking distance from Plaza Mayor and the heart of Madrid
The room was beautifully decorated. every thing is compact but very efficient.
And best of all the price was very reasonable. i highly recommend this place

the only downside is It can get a bit noisy at night because of the restaurant and bar downstairs

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Moonie22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here and I love the hotel and will definately return. It has a real boutique feel about it and the location is brilliant. The staff are really lovely and go out of their way to help. We were on an early flight and arrived much earlier than the advertised check in time but they said to leave our bags and give them 30 mins. When we returned the room was ready and they had put the bags in the room.
I don't think I would include breakfast again which is pricey for the standard you get. Although they are happy to cook something I prefer cereal and toast. The buffet breakdast is sat out on a table for hours, not covered or chilled and I did see a fly on the food. Also I prefer milk on my cereal to be cold not room temperature! There are so many cafes in the area I would go out for breakfast next time.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank JS0151
Melbourne
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was our first hotel on a 5 week holiday and it set the bar very high. We were welcomed with warmth and pride in the hotel and once we saw our room we understood why there was so much pride. Our room overlooked the street and was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was really nice. We did not find it noisy at all. The bathroom was really nice and roomy. In fact our room was extremely spacious. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I reserved a room for two nights at the Posada del León de Oro. We were very excited to stay here. Upon checking-in, we were told that our room was in the hotel's "building next door". This turned out to be a completely different hotel - the Hotel Posada Del Dragon. I told the clerk that this was a different hotel - one I recalled as having lower rates online when I booked at Posada del León de Oro. He insisted that it was the same hotel and the rates were the same. I spoke with another clerk later in the day and was told the same thing. She offered to look into doing something for me, but did nothing. Room at Posada del Dragon was fine, but a completely different style than we were looking forward to experiencing at Posada del León de Oro. I would have been okay staying there had the hotel been honest - they likely were overbooked - and offered to reduce the rate if we agreed to stay at the hotel next door. When we checked out at the Posada del León de Oro, the clerk had to go next door to Posada Dragon to complete the checkout - further reinforcing that we stayed at a different hotel. Only saving grace was that the hotel is in a fantastic neighborhood and very convenient to many of the amazing sites and restaurants in Madrid. We also asked for an additional blanket one evening and got no response from the desk clerk who promised to get us one. Room was also very loud. Door provided no sound protection from patrons at their bar or restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eric M
Germany
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

I booked well in advance. Perfectly located in the centre of La Latina. Rooms very modern, great facilities, very comfortable bed. Wifi was touch & go and kept falling off. Given our advance payment, was expecting a better located room-- we were directly above restaurant thus sleeping-in wasn't possible; staff were not accommodating to allow us to change and wanted a fee (i suggest look at rooms 2nd floor and above). Staff were professional but you feel like a number rather than a guest. Sink plumbing in our room very slow to drain. You would stay here for location & modern atmosphere but not hospitality.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were given a room in the hotel as a wedding gift and extended our stay another night. We had the buhardilla room with the tub in the center. I found the room to be very comfortable. I know that others noted noisiness, but we didn't have much of a problem- maybe because we were on a higher floor? We napped for a short while during our first day and it was pleasant to fall asleep to some of the street noise. During the evenings, we had the windows closed. The bathroom was modern and comfortable, but the tub was the best- the jacuzzi jets were strong and there was no shortage of hot water. The bed was also very comfortable, and the hotel provided an extra blanket for me. While this is not a very traditional hotel, the customer service was very helpful if you sought it out. For example, there was a mistake with our car rental agreement that would have been quite difficult for us (as non-Spanish speakers) to work out, but the person working the front desk made some calls to fix it. Breakfast was above average, and the crowd at night in the restaurant is warm. Overall, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: I think it's worth it to get the large room with the tub!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christine l
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Cute posada. I must say I hate writing a bad review. The Posada itself is really nice, rooms are nicely furnished, clean, simple, trendy, comfortable. The restaurant is excellent, great tapas. However is it is SO noisy! We live in NYC so are used to noise and this is the equivalent to staying on Bleecker Street. We are also in our 30s and like to stay out late but this was ridiculous. The rooms are advertised as sound proof but they are not. The street and restaurant noise is so loud the I was up in bed until 5am, not happy. Also, there was one concierge who was NOT helpful at all. The day we arrived we asked for recommendations for restaurants and she said "anything on the block" -- how can all of the restaurants on the block be good? Plus we were interested in something more trendy. Then she called a restaurant that we found and told us she couldn't get us a reservation but when we tried in our own we were able to get one. We also asked for directions to rooftop bars and she ignored the request. Google map was much more helpful. The location is OK, walking distance to most, but not my preference, too crowded and touristy. Plus it rained one night and they didn't have umbrellas to lend us and could get us a cab so we got soaked trying to hail our own. It's a cute place but not 5star quality. For the price i guess it's worth it.

• Stayed September 2013