Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
l0uise2208
Leeds, United Kingdom
Not sure I'd return next time
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 14 Mar 2014
We stayed here in Dec 2013 in a Cava room for my 30th birthday and it was absolutely wonderful! So wonderful in fact that we booked to return in March 2014. I booked another Cava room as I loved the balcony out on to the Calle Cava Baja. We arrived at around 10.30pm and were checked in by a sullen blonde lady. The first time around we'd been checked in by a dark haired, friendly man for whom nothing was too much trouble. The lady was just a bit awkward but I put this down to maybe our lack of conversational Spanish. We went up to the room and it was NOT what I had booked. It was an inside room that appeared to be a family room and it was dark and dingy. The restaurant is great and the service from the waiters is excellent, I'd definitely recommend, but if you're staying in the hotel don't expect special treatment, our table was bumped for a Spanish couple who'd walked in and we had pre-booked. In all honesty, this stay just felt a bit awkward and uncomfortable. I wanted to complain about not being in the right room but apparently our room was higher priced than the Cava room I originally booked so maybe it was an un-communicated upgrade as such, but I feel that it was probably that they overbooked and bumped us in to the family room. It's not a bad hotel but I've had 2 starkly contrasting experiences so I don't know if I'd return for a third time as it's not cheap. It just felt as though there was a general lack of communication and at times we felt like an inconvenience and a burden rather than paying guests! I'm sure you'll agree that if you're paying for the hotels services you kind of want what you've paid for!
Date of stay: March 2014
    £72
  • Vio.com
4.7 miles from Posada del Leon de Oro
View more hotels in Madrid
All reviews cava baja great location small hotel walking distance to plaza mayor comfortable bed major sites latina balcony cafes
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The Posada del León de Oro is located right on Cava Baja. It is a street full of small bars which might cater more to the night life traveler. The hotel itself is very good. It has three floors and about 16 rooms. We reserved a Family Room which was perfect for our three member family. It was good size room. But the rooms open up to the downstairs restaurant/bar. Hence at night, it can get rather noisy. With that said, even we travelled as a family, we were comfortable here. But if you’re a light sleeper, this place may not be for you.

The hotel is well located by Plaza Mayor and Puerta Del Sol shopping area. Across the street is actually a highly rated small tapa restaurant, La Concha that is worth a stop.

Room tip: Higher up floors will be less noisy
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This was a really disappointing experience. The room is VERY small/cramped. The shower barely was able to fit me let alone my husband (about 6foot, 80kg). The bed looked so comfortable but was not, the doona was some kind of synthetic that made it very hot and we had to have the air-con on all night at about 20degrees to be able to sleep. Felt like a bull in a china shop. Also, this is above the restaurant/bar and at night can be very loud if you are a light sleeper like my husband is - because of the way the houses are built with a lightwell through the middle of the building sound does travel up. Location was good - about a 10min walk to the Market which had a great mix of different eating options. Plus lots of restaurants only a 5-10min walk away.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Just arrived back from 4 nights in this hotel and all I can say is you can't fault it. Full of ambience and energy, staff very friendly, rooms modern and clean, restaurant and bar very good. Very impressed.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ccaasjf
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed 10-12 December 2013 - staff very friendly, rooms clean and modern - the restaurant is very good with very typical well cooked dishes. Lunch time you need to book as well used by local people, which says it all! The tapas in the bar are good as well as is the wine list. A buzzy, vibrant and friendly place to base for a trip to Madrid. The local in door food market, in walking distance, is a must if you are a foodie.

Room tip: We had a junior suite - my only minor criticism would be that some of the rooms could be a touch small.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank I4016DJjohng
Reviewed 16 December 2013

...but fantastic!
Stopped here here on a whirlwind through Madrid on a nice evening for tapas y vino.
Very nice food - despite some of the comments noted - and a good selection of vino and beers in the front-bar.
Would come back...and might even overnight sometime.
Neighbourhood also attractive; Cava Baja - the street - is a hotspot for locals for eating, drinking and the inevitable socialising.

• Trip type: Travelled on business