“Wonderful Hotel, Great Service”

The Westin Palace Madrid
Ranked #36 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Kensington, Maryland
“Wonderful Hotel, Great Service”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

When I travel, I tend to gravitate towards staying at more modern boutique hotels. The Palace in Madrid is quite the opposite, old, stately and grand with incredible service. However, from the second I walked in with my eight year old son in tow I was made to feel at home.

We went to Madrid at the last minute after our beach vacation in the south of Spain was rained out. The front desk at the hotel was efficient and all spoke perfect English. The concierge was able to get us great seats for a Real Madrid game seven hours before game time without paying too horrible a premium and also gave us a perfect days itinerary of must see sights that a eight year old would appreciate. The hotel location is perfect. It is between the Madrid Park and the old quarter with its plazas and grand palaces. Two blocks towards the old section are tapas bars and restaurants to get a quick bite. The hotel interior is very grand with beautiful stained glass and marble. Rooms are very comfortable and very clean with out even the slightest paint chip. I will certainly return to the Westin Palace when in Madrid in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We have stayed in this hotel on a few different occasions - and what I find truly admirable is the consistency -- the hotel and the staff is always impeccable! During our last stay, when returning from the Northern coast (after a disappointing stay in a different hotel) coming here felt like coming home. The especially warm welcome from the receptionist Alberto motivated me to write this review. The location is perfect - close to world renown art galleries, Park Retiro, and my favorite spot - Plaza de Santa Ana. Can't wait to return :)

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Westin Palace, one of the most oldest hotels located in Madrid is a place to stay.....really comfortable rooms and cozy beds as well providing a very relaxing sleep...
The hotel restaurant near the lobby is also great providing a wide selection for the breakfast spread...The hotel provided a quick check in and also quick check out without much hassels and the staff was also very co-operative...

Room Tip: be an SPG member and get special rooms designed for such members*
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
philadelphia
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The palace hotel is beautiful and in a perfect location across from the prado museum. If youre lucky enough, your room could look out onto the fountain which lights up at night. The rooms here are spacious and very comfortable. The manager, Marc Lannoy, was wonderful. He made sure our stay was exceptional. The hotel staff couldnt do enough for us, were always timely and very very helpful. The location is also very close to a metro stop but walking the city, especially at night, is easy. Would highly recommend this hotel! We arrived at 930 am and our room was ready!! Can you imagine that, they are wonderful. Thank you Marc Lannoy and your fabulous staff for making our trip to Madrid amazing! My only negative would be that the wifi in the room was a charge but in the lobby was free. A top notch hotel as this could include inroom wifi.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the fountaines
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My partner and I attended a conference for a week and all I can say is I was very disappointed. I have worked in the hospitality industry for 16 years now with hotels all over the world and by far this has been my worst experience. For starters it took us 45 minutes to check inn after a very long journey from Australia, after we finally checked in it took 2 phone calls to the front desk and 1 hour for our bags to arrive. Their was no free Internet access in the room, we had to sleep on dirty sheets as our room was not made up on a daily basis and their is no turn down service of an evening, which is standard in 5 star hotels across the world, staff were rude and of very little help,then the line up for breakfast was like being hurded up like cattle to a slaughter house, the drinks we had ( 2 cocktails) not made correctly were well over priced. I will never stay at a Westin ever again in my life and frankly it should only be a 2 star

Room Tip: Please do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank slinkster
westinpalacemadrid, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for your review; very different from the recent ones we had and I am very worried. First please accept my apologies
Internet is free in public areas and in the business center and for a fee in the room. We have our “green choice” program that allows people to choose if the bed linen had to be changed daily but this is voluntary by using the “green card” next to the bed. Turn down service in certain categories of rooms is available 24 hours on request and serviced immediately
I regret the delay that you encountered for breakfast and I don´t know if your points where brought to our attention during your stay as this is for us the best way to rectify any mistake
Pls do not hesitate to contact me westinpalace.madrid@westin.com. Even if my hotel made a mistake and did not offer you the service you expected I am sure that the other 180 Westin hotels in the world are trying as us their utmost to satisfy their guests
Best regards
Marc L
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My husband, our son and I stayed here in November 2008 (could not choose that option in the drop down box), and loved it, especially the Chinese restaurant, best one ever. The hotel is lovely, the domed ceiling in the dining room is gorgeous, the rooms comfortable, clean and lovely. It was very busy and the staff were polite and helpful if you needed anything but not neccessarily friendly.I hope to stay there again one day and fingers crossed the Chinese restaurant will still be there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I stayed here for one night on a stopover in Madrid en route elsewhere. Planned to do a little sightseeing, so location was paramount. I couldn't have been happier. The location - across the street from the Prado and the Thyssen museum, 10 minutes to the Reina Sofia - was ideal. The rooms were spacious, clean and quiet. The concierge hit perfectly on both requests - for a classic churro place and a fun place for tapas - and we were able to walk to everything we wanted to see. I suppose if you needed metro access there are more convenient locations but in terms of proximity to museums, the train station, tapas restaurants and even easy access to the airport by cab, it couldn't be beat.

I'll caveat this by saying I was lucky enough to get a room on Hotwire, so I can't speak to the regular price of the rooms but even at a significant premium from what I paid it would have been worth it. Even better, I had emailed ahead to mention it was a special occasion - as a lower-paying Hotwire client, mind you, not a full-price client - and was pleasantly surprised to be informed at check-in that a bottle of sparkling cava would be sent to the room free of charge that afternoon. That's the sort of touch I'd expect at a quality hotel but, honestly, not one I expected or needed given that I'd bargained shopped my way in - the fact that the hotel did it anyway, combined with the wonderful service and great location, means this will be the first place I check into next time I'm back in Madrid and my stay here will always be a fond memory.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple