“Ideal Location & Very Comfortable”

The Westin Palace Madrid
Ranked #44 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Fortunately I wasn't paying for the trip, so didn't have to worry about the 5* price tag (!) but The Westin Palace Madrid is a lovely hotel, excellently located, with very pleasant staff. Stayed in a Deluxe Room which was a good size and comfortable, with gorgeous bedding and a huge assortment of pillows, but did expect something a bit more special considering the cost of the rooms... However the foyer & dining room (particularly the stained glass dome and gold butterflies & keys) are beautiful. Didn't dine at the hotel for lunch or dinner so can't comment, but the buffet breakfast is very good - the options, including champagne, are endless. Customer service email from hotel website doesn't appear to work - emailed the hotel before arrival asking about spa treatments & the hair salon but didn't receive a reply. Would happily stay here again. It makes for a lovely treat for a long weekend in Madrid.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for review and mentioning our very pleasant staff and our world now “Heavenly Beds”
Pls send contact me regarding the email as our internal policy is to answer back within 48 hours and apologize this was not done. This will allow me to trace why the email was not answered
(westinpalace.madrid@westin.com)
Thank you for saying that you would “happily stay with us again”
Hasta la próxima

There are newer reviews for The Westin Palace Madrid

Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed at the The Westin Palace for four nights. It is undoubtedly a very comfortable hotel. It has a lovely location, and the rooms are plush and quite pleasant. My stay however however was far from perfect.

There was construction going on outside of my room. This led to the erection of increasingly obstructing scaffolding. One morning I opened my windows, and there were three workmen directly in front of me. The noise certainly prevented sleeping in, and given my slightly prolonged stay (and that I was a guest on the Starwood Rewards program) I was disappointed with this. Not to mention that my one request- for an external view, was not granted.

My television had persisting problems throughout the stay, initially, not even turning on. To the hotels credit, this was dealt with extremely professionally, and my request that it be addressed during a specific time frame the next day was observed. Unfortunately, the television then had persisting error messages in Spanish on the screen, that I couldn’t change, and when I spoke to the service desk about this, they were impatient and told me that any message on the television would be in English (acting as if I couldn’t read my own language). The conversation was really quite unpleasant, and the young woman who answered the phone was extremely impatient and condescending.

Finally, the prices are excessive, even for a five star hotel. The internet is the main issue, however the lunch buffet at over 45 Euro takes the cake for sheer outrageousness.

In regards to the hotel’s restaurants and bar, I had an average lunch at the Asia Room, an excellent dinner at the Dome restaurant and expensive but enjoyable drinks in the bar (at the very least enjoyable tapas is served free).

I certainly commend the hotel for its ambience, and its generally very professional staff, however it didn’t quite meet expectations for me.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank john_tillett

Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for your constructive review and qualifying our very professional staff and that you commend our hotel
I apologize for the inconveniences; in the meantime we have fixed the TV issue and regret that one associate was not pleasant
I believe that our lunch buffet of 45 euros (VAT included) is a good value for the price taking into consideration the cold, hot and desserts that we offer.
I hope we will have another opportunity to exceed your expectations

Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel that desperately needs to be completely renovated!
The hotel was 100 years old in 2012 and you would think that they would have redone it Like the Princes de galles in Paris,but you would wrong!!

THE service is terrible and I would not waste my time or money staying here until they renovate
I have included photos.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tripadvisor
As the Prince de Galles in Paris the hotel was completely renovated in 1997 and since then we have renovated again almost all rooms, the public areas and the meeting and banquet space. We have recognized the picture of the suite you were in and have corrected the maintenance issues that we should have identified before your stay. As to the service is you have specific points you want me to address please do not hesitate to contact me
(westinpalace.madrid@westin.com). We take our guest comments and constructive feedback very serious to meet and exceed expectations
Best personal regards

Reviewed 17 April 2013

The Westin Palace is a beautiful place. Built 100 years ago, the inside is full of art and beauty. The staff were very helpful to me as a handicapped person and while the building is full of steps, they have elevators to help you. The room was very nice and well equipped for a handicapped person. The breakfast was fantastic and eating Tortilla Espana makes you happy. The bar is a classic also. We had a convention there and they did a good job on the food and helping our 320 plus people happy.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Hasta la próxima

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed at the Palace from 9 till 12 April. To be honest, the hotel looks great on the outside and the inside. Upon arrival we were stunned by the grandeur of the lobby and the restaurant. The location is excellent as well. Breakfast was delicious.
Our room, number 161, however was somewhat disappointing. Why? Well I have three words: details, details and details. The room did not meet a five star standard. First of all we noticed that a curtain was hanging loose. We thought that housekeeping would notice this, but no. Second of all: the disappointing amenities: no free internet(!!), no sewing kit, no shoe polisher, no ironing board, no bag for laundry, no slippers, no shower cap... These are things we take for granted when staying at a five star hotel. Last, the bathroom. Here wallpaper was peeling of the wall, paint was missing on a part of the ceiling and the bathrobes were outworn (holes into it). Things you would not expect in such a hotel. Sorry...

1  Thank Tom82_03

Dear Tripadvisor,
Thank you for your note and first of all my apologies for the maintenance issues in the room that have been corrected. You are right it´s all in the detail if we want to achieve excellence
Thank you for mentioning the breakfast was delicious
Internet is free in the public areas and in the business center. Starwood Preferred Guests (Gold & Platinum) also can choose free internet in the guest rooms as an amenity option.
All amenities you mention can be requested by phone free of charge.
We have inspected the bathrobes and replaced the old ones for new
Once again I regret the inferior service

Reviewed 16 April 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Spain. We spent our first 4 days at this hotel. It is a lovely and gracious old hotel. The public rooms are beautiful. I found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. They accepted our early check in request with good humor. Our room was on the second floor facing a major street, but I was not bothered by street noise. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom well appointed. It was everything I want in a hotel- great location, clean, and a restful retreat from the big city. I definitely recommend the Westin Palace.

Room Tip: Although I was near the elevators, I was never bothered by noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Saludos

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We had a superb 3 night / 4 day break in Madrid last week. As with all intensive city break type vacations, it is imperative to book a high-quality, centrally located base which makes waking up in the morning and end-of-the-day reflections something to look forward to.
The Palace, operated by Westin, is at the higher end of the price bracket but it is ideally located for the central Madrid Museums, it oozes quality throughout its public rooms and customer service is at the heart of its operations.
Roll out of the Palace in the morning and hop on an open-top bus for a 90-minute tour around the Old City.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Tripadvisor
Saying a "majestic" stay in the "palace" motivates us to exceed expectations
Saludos