“Wonderful expirience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Netanya, Israel
“Wonderful expirience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I am so happy that I picked westin palace for our stay in Madrid .since the moment we step in the hotel the service and the feeling we got from every stuff member was wonderful. We came a bit earlier but they gave us a room . The room was very spacious the bed was very comfortable everything was very clean.the breakfast room is lovely! We enjoyed having breakfast that was delicious ! The location couldn't be better! Steps from the museums great tapas bars restaurants main shopping areas etc. I'm hoping for another visit soon!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Paloma H, Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Tripadvisor,
I’m very happy to read your fabulous comments about your stay and our staff and have shared your comments with them
This motivate us a lot
Gracias!
Paloma H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location - next to a park, and very near to major shopping, restaurants, and tourist sites.The hotel itself has beautiful public spaces, particularly the area where the breakfast is served in morning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tripadvisor,
I’m glad to see that you enjoyed the hotel and the city during your stay with us!
Looking forward to welcome you again in a near future!
Paloma H
Tha Hague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Checked in here for an escape weekend with my wife. Despite my superior status they upgraded me from a queen bed to a king bed room - with and internal view. AC was broken, bathroom was tired and twice they came into our room (despite a DO NOT DISTURB sign) to make up the room.

HOWEVER!!! **** (and please read past this) When I mentioned this to the BRILLIANT front desk manager (Christina) She immediately corrected the situation and upgraded us to a much nicer room overlooking the Neptuno square (which is really the BEST view you can get here!)

The Staff were courteous, charming and really save what is a somewhat tired hotel. The one thing Management HAS to address is the utterly ridiculous prices for things... 10.80EUros for an orange juice and 35Euros for a breakfast Buffet is just silly...

Same applied to the in room service and virtually ANY additional service - you just end up going out for everything.

Room Tip: Get a view Overlooking the statue of Neptune! on a high floor (3/5th floor)
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paloma H, Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Tripadvisor,
Thank you for sharing your comments and for saying such nice words about our staff. As Cristina met you we fixed the AC issue and apologize for the inconveniences
Cristina was very motivated with your comments
Paloma Hidalgo
Rooms Division Manager
Virginia, U.S.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We have mixed feelings about this hotel. We stayed here twice, at the beginning and end of a short trip to Spain. The first experience was better than the second. On the second visit, I waited in line for 10 minutes in the SPG Gold/Platinum line. One employee was helping a party of three check in. The other employee was apparently doing concierge work for another guest (despite the fact that the concierge desk was across the lobby). My wife finally went over and stood in the non-SPG line and three minutes later I was checking in there. A few minutes later we walked by the SPG line and the two employees were still dealing with the same customers. Needless to say, that is really bad customer service. Each of those customers took more than 15 minutes of the employees’ time. At least some of the front desk staff need some training or supervision.

The hotel is as elegant in life as it looks on the website (probably more so). It has beautiful furnishings in the public areas and a stunning domed lobby/tea room. We had tea and cakes one afternoon, and I had the most incredible cup of hot chocolate ever (it was literally just melted chocolate in a cup).

The rooms are elegant and relatively large by European standards. Bathrooms were large and functional. The mini-bar refrigerator in our room was not working when we arrived on our second visit, so I turned the temperature to the maximum. Five hours later it had not cooled at all, so we called for maintenance. As is typical in European hotels, they sent a maintenance man who looked at the refrigerator, said it was set at the highest setting, and told us it would be cool in an hour. Of course it did not get cool and we had to throw away $15 worth of food we had anticipated refrigerating. We’ve learned in a couple of dozen trips to Europe that, whether it’s the heating/AC, the refrigerator, or whatever, hotels simply send maintenance men who pretend to do something and make reassurances to Americans. Maybe this works with most Americans, but obviously not with us. When I complained to the staff the next day I was told that minibars are not refrigerators and do not keep items as cold. True enough in Europe (although not in the U.S.), but they usually do keep items at 50 degrees F or so, which is cold enough. This minibar did not work at all. On our first trip to this hotel a week earlier the minibar worked fine, so I know it’s not the entire hotel.

The room also had curtains that were torn at the inside from the blackout curtains. This meant that they could not be closed entirely. This is poor maintenance by the hotel. One of the hot water faucets in the bathroom leaked water slowly while it was on, spreading out over the counter top. Again, poor maintenance. Housekeeping should notice such problems and report them.

On the second visit, we were also placed next to a storage room of some sort. Large equipment and furniture, such as rollaway beds, were wheeled in and out all day and much of the night, and whatever they were doing was very loud. Needless to say, this was not appreciated. It would not be appreciated by anyone, but as an SPG Gold member I was particularly annoyed.

The hotel is in a great location, a block from the Prado, across the street from the Thyssen Museum, and an easy walk to the Reina Sofia. There is a Starbucks just around the corner and a convenience store/café called VIPS next to Starbucks. It is also a very short distance from the largest Madrid train station, the Puerta de Atocha.

We would rate our first visit, in which there were no negative incidents, at five stars. Our second we would rate at three stars. Thus, we give four stars as an overall rating. At $400 a night or so, we expect close to perfection. Our second visit was considerably distant from perfection.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid outside noise, ask for an inside room overlooking the dome. Unless you are stu...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Paloma H, Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for sharing your comments and for saying that the hotel is elegant. I was happy to read you enjoyed your first stay and concerned about the service issues during your second stay; please accept my apologies
I have taken good notice of the mini-bar and curtain points and we will reinforce supervision
Paloma
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our 2d stay here. A wonderful place. Spacious rooms, beautiful public spaces, an interesting and well-executed restaurant open at all hours! A blessing in Spain). Very friendly and helpful staff. We have sent friends to the Palace who previously have stayed at the Ritz. They have agreed that the Palace is better.

Location is superb: The Thyssen is across the street and the Prado a block away. Drawback. No local restos nearby.

Caveat. I am giving the Palace 5 stars despite its having the worst bed--hard and lumpy--Ive ever had in a hotel approaching its quality. No Heavenly Bed here!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank William R
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for you nice comments, for coming back and for recommending our hotel to your friends
Please contact me at westinpalace.madrid@westin.com so I can investigate what happened with the bed as all our beds as per Westin standards are “Heavenly beds”. I regret this
Granada Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is magnificent and unique. The building is over 100 years old and is kept up very well. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The restaurant is absolutely gorgeous and the service is impeccable. We had a buffet breakfast every morning that included an omelet station. Everything you could want for breakfast was available including fresh squeezed orange juice and churros with hot chocolate. We had dinner one night at the hotel and I thought was a bit expensive, $92 euros for 2 but the food and service was amazing. The hotel is walking distance to many tapa bars and restaurants as well as the Museo Del Prado and the Retiro park. Excellent location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank chacha46
Dear Tripadvisor
I was very happy to read your nice comments and shared them with my team as they motivate us to continue to do the Best we can
Looking forward to welcome you again
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I hate to leave negative comments but in the spirit of full disclosure, here I go. My stay at this hotel was not at all good. It started out with someone entering my room while I was napping shortly after my arrival. There was no preceding knock on the door or verbal notification that they were in my room. They turned and left. It was awkward, particularly being a single female traveling alone. I was not able to lock the door in my room as the bolt didn't line up with the door clasp. The door itself was a problem too (you can't make this stuff up!!). I physically couldn't enter my room!! The door stuck to the door frame. I needed assistance getting into my room every single time I entered it but once (when I luckily was strong enough to do it myself). Despite showing multiple staff members this problem, all I got was a shrug and a "you're welcome" that they were able to open my door for me. Not kidding!

The wifi is my other area of concern. It's outrageously overpriced, compared to even nicer hotels in Madrid (intercontinental is cheaper). 17 Euros per day for wifi with service that goes in and out. I got NO work done as my connection was lost every two minutes. I'm so angry that I paid for that!

On a positive note, the staff are very friendly. The hotel is in a fantastic location. The rooms are comfortable and quite large. The food is average. Unfortunately, the negative experiences far out-weighed the good ones and I am certain that I will not be returning to this hotel on future trips to Madrid.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank CatieGC
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for your review and for saying that the staff is very friendly, that you liked the location and that the rooms are comfortable
As Aurelia and Marcelo had the opportunity to speak to you after the incident and during the check-out I trust we gave the proper explanations and apologize for the inconveniences.
We offer FREE wifi in all public areas and in the business center. In the guest rooms WIFI is free for SPG Gold and Platinum members and we have different price options depending on the type of band width and time requested. Nevertheless we agreed to rebate the charge at check-out
I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you better on another occasion