“Dissapointed”

The Westin Palace Madrid
Ranked #42 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 30 May 2009

I stayed in the westin in madrid for 5 nights, location is just perfect and close to everything, but here are few things that I didn't expect, and I'm comparing westin here with other westin in asia, the room location aws looking at the dome of the resturant so no view, receptionists not really friendly, rooms furniture are a bit old, the room had no bathrobe u have to ask for it, the slippers are not there u have to ask, shower gelwas not in the room u have to ask for it, one piece of soap and 1 bottle of shampoo, water not provided complimentry but u have also to ask for it daily, I asked for apersonal scale, i gota broken one, shame on Westin in Europe really,other than u have to ask for every thing in the room, I enjoyed the stay ,the food and the city, no way to compare this hotel to the high level of service you always get in asia, and I had similar experience in Paris westin as well , so I figured out that that is the European standard

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 May 2009

You cannot beat this location in Madrid. Right around the corner from Prado and Thyssen, short walk to El Retiro, a longer walk but still close to the Royal Palace. A minute walk to Plaza Santa Ana with great outdoor cafes by day and a fun nightlife. Markets right around the corner with large bottles of water for 1 euro.

Rooms are large which is unusual in Europe. Beds are comfortable and the room was quiet.

None of my cons would be reason to not stay here because the location is so perfect and the rooms are great but they should be mentioned . . . Cons - Staff is stuffy and the entire hotel has that vibe. We were given inaccurate data regarding what days different museums were open or closed. We wanted to see a bull fight and were told to buy tickets illegally from scalpers outside the ring since tickets were impossible to get. When we arrived there were police everywhere so we figured we would ask the ticket stand what to do. We were sold tickets right away for 6 euro each. The hotel told us from scalpers we should pay at least 50 euro. The breakfast is really expensive and mediocre. In fact everything at the hotel is really expensive -- 9 euro espresso, etc . . .

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2009

You can't beat the combination of the hotel's location and the actual hotel product. You can literally walk to everything....the three museums, the Plaza Mayor, retaurants and all the other sites. This is a huge convenience! Plus, if you want to take a day trip outside the city, the train station is a short walk away.

The guest rooms were very spacious, up to date and immaculate. The Westin Heavenly Bed was a real treat. We got a great deal on Expedia that included breakfast, which is served every morning in their gorgeous Rotunda. What a fabulous way to start the day! One of the best hotel breakfasts we have ever experienced!

I highly recommend this hotel for your trip to Madrid.....it's outstanding!

Reviewed 27 May 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights here over Memorial Day weekend. The room was lovely- it was fairly roomy (not too familiar with standard "European" hotels vs. American ones with a fabulous bathroom and a tub we could both fit in. The climate control system worked great. The location is perfect, especially if the art museums are your main focus as the Thyssen is across the street, the Prado is down one block, and the Reina Sofia is a 15 min. walk. The Metro is a 10 min walk (wish it was just a bit closer, but really isn't bad) and the city center is a 20 min walk or 2 stops on the Metro. The concierge staff was fabulous and really went out of their way. It is a terrific hotel- only downside is the steep price, but having got the room at a reduced rate on Priceline, it was more than worth what we paid.

Reviewed 26 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Palace for 5 nights in May 2009. The hotel's location is unbeatable and the lobby and main restaurant are beautiful. The service is top notch, particularly the concierge staff.

However, I do want to recommend that guests request staying in a room on the higher floors. We were initially given a room on the 2nd floor. We did go to the room and it was very dated and had some cleanliness issues (as some people have posted here). My biggest issue was that it was across from the beauty salon on the 2nd floor and the smells from the salon's chemicals kept coming into the room. We were given a new room immediately upon requesting it. The room was on the 6th floor and was beautiful, It was clean, very spacious, remodeled and very comfortable.

Reviewed 26 May 2009

Stayed here recently with a few friends and had an amazing experience. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel was simply fabulous. The rooms were perfectly sized with a generously sized bathroom. Calls for extra towels were answered immediately and we didn't have to wait the usual 30 plus minutes for service. They were at our door within minutes of placing our call. HIGHLY recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Westin, Madrid. I spent a great deal of time reading hundreds of reviews on different hotels and decided on the Westin due to wanting to take advantage of our travel points, as well as an incredible four night offer they had. My husband and I travel frequrntly and usually stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. We love the uniquess of small boutiquey hotels as well as the traditional elegance of fine , old large hotels. I admit I was a bit nervous about staying at the Westin after seeing reviews stating that it was in need of a renovation, feeling wear and tear and somewhat dowdy. I have to flat out disagree with any of these comments. Maybe because the hotel did upgrade us to a better room. I am not sure. However, the location was perfect. We never got in a taxi or on the metro and we really did a lot of sight seeing , covering many different areas. True, we enjoy walking , especially after eating many delicious meals. But, we never felt exhausted from lengthly walks. The area was safe . We walked around at night and never felt threatened in any way. It was my husbands birthday and our anniversary. They sent up fine chocolates and a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Our room was large , clean ( I am a clean freak!) and modern. The shower had great water pressure, the bed was comfortable and the linens were of high quality. They supplied us with a never ending amount of shampoos and lotions. On our floor, near the elevators was a sitting area , fresh bowels of apples and coffee and tea set out in the morning. Breakfast was included and was one of the nicest breakfast buffets I have experienced. It was in a beutiful large room known for ita stained glass domed roof top. The concirge was helpful with getting us into the restaraunts we wanted, and even made some very good reccomendations. When we return, we will without a doubt stay in the Westin again