“Great One Night Stay”
Review of Hotel Ritz, Madrid

Hotel Ritz, Madrid
Ranked #39 of 442 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed for one night at The Ritz before flying home after a week long stay in Madrid and Barcelona. I would dfeinitely book this hotel on our next visit to Madrid, which I hope will be soon. The staff was very friendly, gracious and prompt. We were greeted by the doorman as soon as we exited the cab and were escorted inside the hotel to check in. The front desk staff was very professional and nice and our bags were brought to our room within less than 5 minutes of checking in.

We stayed in the basic (Classic) room and it was perfectly fine for our needs and was very large and comfortable. We didn't have a view but that wasn't a priority for us. We had a window that looked into a courtyard so the room was quiet but I prefer that for sleeping. The king size bed was very comfortable - probably the most comfortable bed on our entire trip (Spain seems to prefer rock hard mattresses everywhere but the Ritz beds were perfect). We had a walk-in closet and plenty of space. I always worry that the baseline room will be small and awful but that was not the case here.

There were also two complimentary pastries in the room when we arrived, which were delicious and very welcome after our 3 hour train ride from Barcelona. The bathroom was massive! Definitely the largest hotel bathroom I have ever had in Europe. I thought the lighting in it was just fine for doing my hair and makeup and I enjoyed taking a nice hot bath in the very large tub. My only quibble would be that the carpet looked a little dingy and had a few stains on it but it was obviously vacuumed - just looked like it was time for a deep cleaning or for replacement.

The hotel has a lovely terrace but it looks like it only gets used in the summer. It was rather chilly and rainy in November. We had drinks in the hotel bar, which was nice. A very relaxing environment with subdued lighting, a piano player and a somewhat formal atmosphere (they request that you dress business casual and men wear jackets). The afternoon tea looked lovely. We thought it was nice area but given the drink prices (23 euros a piece), we limited ourselves to one drink each. I will say that the drinks are well made and the pours are generous. We didn't have time to eat at the restaurant but it looked beautiful and the food sounded wonderful.

The location of the hotel is excellent. Right in the center of Madrid and next door to the Prado and the Buen Retiro park. It was about a 5-8 minute walk to the Plaza Santa Ana (great tapas bars around there) and a 15 minute walk to the Plaza Mayor.

We enjoyed this hotel the most out of all of the ones we stayed at during our trip. The next time we visit Madrid, I will definitely stay here for the entire time and will plan to have dinner in their restaurant. A really wonderful experience even if for only one night!

Room Tip: Unless you require a view of the park or city, you are just fine going with the baseline room. It...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BdawgDallas_Texas
Write a ReviewReviews (2,027)

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Beautiful hotel , excellent service, everyone very nice and professional . There were only
A few negatives.... The bathroom lighting was not good and the bedroom lighting
was not good. The room was very dark. The shower head could not be adjusted
And the shower was very small. We did have a lovely suite which was very spacious
and comfortable. Good closets and bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with better lighting. And bigger shower
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
executivemgr, Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Sir,

May I thank you for your comments regarding your last stay at the Ritz Madrid. They have been addressed to the different departments and taken into consideration.

I am glad to confirm that works have been started to improve our lighting in the bathrooms by adding a light in the shower cabinets. New lamps will be shortly installed in all our bedrooms and placed on the sidebed tables to improve the lighting in the rooms.

Once again, on behalf of the Ritz team, I would like to thank you for your comments which assist us to improve our property and service.

Juan José Martínez
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Its location makes it very convenient as a tourist. The service is excellent. no matter how much you pay for the room you are treated equally. They surprised me every day with little treats!! they were delicious! my family and I felt spoiled in this hotel. The rooms were gorgeous and very specious. Stay here if you have the chance to visit Madrid.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2011

My husband and I stayed in this beautiful hotel on a recent trip to Madrid. I picked this hotel from Trip advisor and was glad I did. The hotel was central to most sights, if you wanted to catch the Hop on Hop off bus or visit the Prado Museum they were 2 minutes walk away.

We had a spacious suite with a canopy bed and it was very old world and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and had a large bathtub with a shower in it. The restaurants and lounges in the hotel were very luxurious. It was a bit like staying in a luxury home. The breakfast was substantial and the service very efficient. I would highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay in Madrid. A lovely boutique type hotel without the large hotel feel!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2011

They must be joking to call this a Ritz Hotel unless they mean ritz crackers.

I checked into the hotel for two night on a stopover between Miami and Moscow due to some kind of weather problem in Central Europe. I didn't have a reservation, so when I called they "offered" me a full fare. Above $ 500. I was on a corporate account so I accepted. The rooms are tiny. the food is UNBELIEVABLE expensive. The decor is form the 60s. But the worst was still to come. The service is absolutely unacceptable. Not a smile. Not a greeting. Not a welcome. Not a thank you. Must of the waiters don`t speak english.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
15  Thank Yeswhere
executivemgr, Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Dear Sir / Madam,

From these lines, I would like to thank you for sharing your comments about your stay at the Ritz. These comments have been shared with the team members to assist us to improve our service level.

The service we offer to our guests is our most important value and for which we are proudly known. Therefore, your valuable comments are seriously taken and actions will be taken to avoid similar situations in the future and to exceed our guest's expectations.

Regards,

Juan José Martínez
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 4 November 2011

Being a pretty frequent business traveller I see all kinds of things, but I have to say the room I had in the Ritz set some new standard. First, it had no windows. Well, the were curtains and some glass, but I must have been in some underground or inside space because the room was completely sealed. On top of that it was tiny - as in I thought I had walked into a closet when I went into the room, except there was a really small twin bed in it. Hot and stuffy too (in the winter). All that for many hundreds of euros per night. Service was average. Lots of good hotels in Madrid. This is not one of them (or at least, be careful when you check in or you may have a nasty surprise in store).

• Stayed: December 2010
5  Thank Hoteller123
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The best hotel I have ever stayed in. All the comfort you would expect, but what really sets it apart is its exceptional service. Unbelievable.

Room Tip: Stay in this hotel! It doesn't matter what room!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family