“OLd World Elegance”
Review of Hotel Ritz, Madrid

Hotel Ritz, Madrid
Ranked #42 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Magnificant service from a limitlessly large, agreeable staff. Nothing is an effort for them.
The rooms are not modern and perhaps could be freshened up a bit but the bathrooms are enormous and well designed. The common rooms are quite beautiful. And the buffet breakfast is fabulous with delicious fresh squeezed juice, fresh bread etc etc. Pamper yourself.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank David B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ritz, Madrid

Reviewed 25 October 2012

After five days at the Ritz in Madrid I can only say : 'wooh!'
From the moment we were picked up at the airport by the hotel car we were taken care of in a way one rarely encounters even in five-star hotels. The room was large, overlooking the Prado museum, with fruit, flowers and a welcome note.
During our stay the staff, especially the congierges, were very helpful, arranging excursions and dinner reservations in very nice restaurants. We were transported to world of quiet, unobtrusive luxery which was in stark contrast to the daily protests and unrest in the streets of Madrid. This hotel is highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank IpanemaBoy
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We had a perfect 3 days at the Ritz Madrid, from the moment we walked into the elegant lobby. All the staff were friendly and helpful, particularly the concierge on restaurant recommendations. We have found this level of service before only at other Orient-Express properties. Our room was spacious and old-world; we particularly liked that a plate of fruit would be waiting for us each afternoon when we returned from our sight-seeing. The location is central, safe and convenient--we walked everywhere. Breakfasts were wonderful, as good as any we have had anywhere in the world. We fear this hotel has spoiled us for all other travel experiences.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked El Prado, we enjoyed watching a constant stream of pedestrians strolling along P...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David B
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I was surprised to find this hotel was not highly rated here on TA. So I expressed my concerns via email to the management personally right after I booked the classic room. I was very glad that they responded to my email very promptly. Good sign ;)

We arrived around dinner time, and when we checked in, they had already assigned and prepared a room for us. Nicely turned down with bottled water, robes and slippers put out, and a delicious homemade cake with a welcome note.

The room was beautiful, elegant, and original. They still used a key that was who knew how old, the refrigerator was inside the wall like a secret hiding place, all the doors looked very original as well, the carpet was beautiful and plush, everything was very very well maintained. The room was also very spacious, it had a entrance hallway, a seating area that was sort of like a living room, it had chairs, a desk, a console table. The bed was on an elevated floor with curtains, very comfortable with very nice bedding. I felt like sleeping on a royalty bed. It was very quiet although we were facing the street. The only thing that i wish it was different though was the TV. It was that spacious, the TV was too small and kinda hard to watch from our bed.

The bathroom had a separate toilet and a bathtub. All granite and well stocked with nice toiletries. It even had a separate "toilet bowl" to wash your bottom :)

All staff were very2 nice and helpful. They had THE best concierge staff so far during my travel years. The first young gentleman with the glasses who worked around dinner time recommended us to go to these tapa bars, and we ended up going to one of them for 3 nights in a row the whole time we were in Madrid. Another guy who worked in the morning, Alejandro, was super nice and helpful. Not only he was doing his job as a great concierge staff, he also was telling us about some history of some places we planned to go to. Very informative. Great job!

The lobby was so elegant and beautiful, all chandelier and crystals. The breakfast buffett was very very nice. Like the other hotel in Athens, they didnt have that many varieties of hot selections in my opinion, but you could order it from the kitchen directly and they make it for you. All kinds of yogurt, cheese and deli meat, pastry, all delish! To top it off, you could eat it outside on the courtyard with water fountain and piano. Imagine having an "afternoon tea" breakfast every morning before you start your day. What can be better than that?

Del Prado museum was behind the hotel. About 15 min walk to Plaza Mayor, 10 min walk to train station but there were many many stores or cafes along the way.

This kind of hotel is not my typical style when I look or book for hotels since I usually go with modern/contemporary decor, however I was so glad that we stayed here and I'd definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mluv2travel
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The Ritz is one of the most aristrocratic and elegant hotels in the world. However, age does not forgive and the Ritz in Madrid is in dire need of a full and complete makeover. Once that happens, I harbor no doubts it will once again reach the zenith. The above said, service is incomparable, the food outstanding, location next to the Prado and the Thyssen ideal, and to have lunch or breakfast in the Terrace one of the finest pleasures in life. Hopefully the Orient Express realizes soon the need to refurbish and does it very soon...

Room Tip: Although pricier, the rooms overlooking the Prado are magnificent
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Cocolo47
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I am twelve years old and I had a wonderful time at the Ritz. Usually I am bored at hotels and I feel like I have nothing to do, but this one really impressed me. The lobby was beautiful, and the rooms were great. I was staying in a room with my grandma, while my parents shared a separate one. Our room had two seperate beds, and the room came with a big alarm clock, two bottles of water, and a plate of fruit with some donuts. In the morning, we would go downstairs, and we may have to wait a maximum of fifteen minutes in the beautiful lounge. When it was time, the waiters would show you to your table, and you would have a whole array of fruits and cereals and eggs and sausages and pastries to choose from. For breakfast to drink I asked for a hot chocolate. It was amazing and so the next day I asked for the same. The next morning the waiter asked if I would be wanting hot chocolate I said yes and then the next day, the waiter came over and without even asking, poured me the Hot Chocolate. In the lounge, they served little sandwiches and cookies and a choice for tea or coffee at tea time. All in all, I had a great time at the Hotel Ritz Madrid, and I hope to go back someday.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Visiting madrid last weekend with friends. After very busy morning and early afternoon of sight seeing we were in need of drink and a nice place to sit and relax. We spotted the Ritz hotel and thought Why not! We entered through small laneway from street to find lovley garden with plenty of tables with parasols. Looking at menu we thought it was more expencive than we wanted to pay so decide on some spanish champagne, Very, very nice. in total we consumed 2 bottles. The staff were wonderfull, friendly and attentive. Others were having afternoon tea, Looked very nice, geat selection of cakes and sandwitches and tea served in lovley china cups. we spent at least 3 hours there and enjoyed very much. On leaving we took a quick look at public area's of hotel, very impressive. Great afternoon and bar bill was under Euro 140, we felt great value for money. Will go back

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends