“Regal Ritz”

Ranked #35 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
London, UK
“Regal Ritz”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

When exploring hotel options in Madrid I struggled with the choices that are available for a non-business focussed Grand hotel. I narrowed it down to the Gran Melia or The Ritz. Eventually I decided to plump for the far more classical Ritz. [I happened to walk past the former property during my time in Madrid, and disliked its location, the Hard Rock Café on part of its ground floor, and the very small public areas – not impressive and in no way comparable to The Ritz]

The moment I drove up to the property the doorman rushed over to help me and didn’t so much as mention that I’d driven in the wrong way (which I later discovered myself)! Check-in was quick and they showed me to my room. The room itself had been very recently repainted and the woven, heavily patterned carpet had been restored/replaced, but I wasn’t happy with the room so asked to see some alternatives. There was not wrong with it per se, but rather, didn’t fit well with my own preferences. It is worth noting that most of the rooms are individually decorated so if the hotel was fully booked it is something of pot luck which one you are allocated. After being shown a few rooms I eventually settled on a delightful one on the fifth floor which even had a very small balcony overlooking the gardens. The style is very Ritzy (if you have stayed at the Ritz Paris this is a similar style although not nearly as frequently refreshed – even though this property is now undergoing a major refurbishment all of their bedrooms were continually repainted etc) and whilst all of the fixtures and fittings are a good two or three decades old, housekeeping is of such an high standard that they have been preserved in a very serviceable and acceptable condition. There is a lot of very deep wardrobe space, they even have hat “hooks”. The twice daily housekeeping is very efficient and very thorough with a real attention to detail; really good old fashioned service. I found the accommodation very charming and was not the least bothered that it wasn’t 21st century; I enjoyed the slightly faded opulence and grandeur.

The public areas are in keeping with the faded opulence theme and whilst they are all very well maintained, they will need a refresh in the next few years. That said, they are very pleasant places to spend time and enjoy the property. The garden and terrace are a peaceful place to enjoy dinner or breakfast and the food is a mixture of contemporary and more traditional dishes, all cooked to a very high standard with a similarly attentive level of service. I do not understand the criticism that has been levelled at the breakfast buffet (unusually modern for this sort of hotel and most welcome) which is also accompanied by a small menu offering items a la minute e.g. eggs, French toast, etc. etc. etc. The buffet itself is compact but extensive in its offerings of quality local cheeses and charcuterie, breads, pastries, a beautiful selection of fruit (fresh berries included) and a hot selection in addition to any of the hot items that you may order off of the menu. There are also half a dozen or so fresh juices and house mixed “juice bar” type offerings such as orange, carrot and ginger or apple, kiwi and spinach. It is really nice to see such contemporary items available in one of the capital’s most traditional hotels. Unlike the décor, this is certainly an area that is up to date.

The service and warmth of the staff, for me, is what really makes the property stand out; the friendly greeting from the doorman every day; the patient and helpful concierges who discussed everything with me from restaurants to things to see and do; the personal service and attention to detail really made The Ritz stand out from its blander competitors.

If the lack of 21st century fixtures and fittings (all of the services are 21st century such as wi-fi etc.) in the rooms isn’t going to bother you then you will have a fabulous stay here and enjoy some really indulgent service in an elegant city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IntlTraveller21stc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Florida
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I returned from a magical 9 days touring Spain. We had booked several five star properties for this special visit and our only disappointment was the Ritz Madrid. We arrived at this hotel late in the evening after a long day touring the Alhambra Palace. Upon entering our room, it was certainly not a "wow" experience, as we had at our previous properties, the Maria Christina in San Sebastian, and the Alfonso XIII in Seville. I am sure the travelers that arrived here in 1945 were much impressed, but the room was dated, to say the least. The carpet was thread-bare, the water closet and shower were so small our 4 year old granddaughter would have difficulty using them! The bed was uncomfortable as well, not to mention the view or lack thereof. I certainly rued my decision not to stay across the street at the Westin Palace, that's for sure! The most insulting aspect was the attitude of the elderly front desk gentleman. When we complained about the room and explained that we usually have a wonderful experience when we book through AmEx Fine Hotels and Resorts, we were told that that is the type of room that we booked and they had no other to offer. I also inquired about any other rooms that would be recently refurbished and was told a curt "no".

The ONLY redeeming quality of this hotel was that of their superior concierge staff. Each and every one of them were kind, helpful and truly went out of their way to make sure that anything we did outside of our hotel room was something memorable. They are to be commended for their professionalism.

I would definitely think twice about booking a room at this property. I will also be conveying my disappointment to Orient-Express, which is the parent company and American Express. I hesitate to book with any other OE properties, if they don't seem to see the value of investing in refurbishment.

Room Tip: Unless you have booked one of their most expensive suites, I would hesitate to recommend any room at...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drandmrsd
ChTavelli, General Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear drandmrsd,

Thank you very much for your comments in Trip Avisor and for choosing hotel Ritz Madrid for your stay in Madrid and, please allow me to apologize for not reaching your expectations during your recent stay. I am truly surprised about the comments from our reception team not being able to help you by offering other rooms to chose from and again apologize for this. I have taken immediate action with this team to ensure no such recurrence of same.

Dear guest, I can ensure that every year we restore a set of rooms to constantly maintain our grande dame up to date. I would like to personally handle your future reservation at Ritz Madrid to ensure un unforgettable experience and therefore remain at your entire disposal at ctavelli@ritz.es.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid.

Regards,

Christian Tavelli
Glasgow
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Everything about this hotel is Wonderful! The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. We were celebrating our anniversary and they made the 4 night stay so special. The rooms, restaurants and public areas have that old-style luxury that screams quality. The location is second to none; major museums are just a few minutes walk away; the open-top bus tour stops just around the corner; it's an easy stroll to Puerta del Sol...I could go on and on, it is a very special hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I had been to Madrid previously, but this was my first stay at the Hotel Ritz Madrid. Now I'll never stay anywhere else. My daughter and I had a gorgeous room with a balcony and view of the Prado. One couldn't have a better location. The hotel is exquisite, but not in a fussy way. It feels very intimate and the service feels personalized. The service was superb during our memorable six night stay and everyone was so pleasant and helpful. We ate dinner once in the garden and it was just lovely. We opted most days to have breakfast by room service and I've never seen a continental breakfast served so beautifully. I have no complaints at all, only raves about our experience here. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I would ask for a view of the Prado. We were on the 5th floor, which worked well for us, as we had a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent four days at this hotel in early August. We had adjoining rooms since we were travelling with our children.This was our second stay at the Ritz, and having read some of the reviews I was somewhat apprehensive about our stay. The Ritz and its amenable staff did not disappoint.
on checking in, I asked for a room overlooking the gardens, but I was told that our booking was for a basic room rate; however the gentleman at reception managed to get us adjoining rooms with a partial garden view.
the rooms were of average size( large for European standards), but the bathroom , despite its decor and amenities,was tiny!! the shower was narrow & the w.c.cubicle was so small that it was practically impossible to close the door while seated.
the rooms were nicely appointed but the carpets,and particularly those in the public areas looked faded and somewhat worn.
the breakfast was generous, with a large variety on the buffet, while eggs could be ordered from the a la carte menu.
the staff and service were in keeping with what one would expect from a luxury hotel. special thanks to maitr d' Javier, as well as Alexandra and Ricardo in the dining room and Sr. Alonso at reception for the outstanding service. ( We also found the concierge staff very friendly and helpful).
the Ritz is centrally located, especially close to the museums and the beautiful Retiro park.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Superb luxury hotel with old world elegance! I travelled to Madrid with a friend, we had beautiful suites and were well looked after by professional staff who were very friendly and helpful, after only two days they knew us by name - from the bellman to the front desk staff, restaurant staff and concierge, the service was excellent. The hotel manager introduced himself to us over lunch making sure we were happy with everything at the hotel and offering some local pointers on Madrid. As the weather was warm we had most of our meals on the beautiful terrace at the Restaurante Goya under the shade of the mature trees, this is not to be missed, weather permitting. The food was delicious; the cava and wine selection was good. Great location in a nice part of the city next door to the Prado museum. There were many special touches, it was an exquisite experience, I would definitely stay there again on future visits to Madrid.

Room Tip: Splurge and opt for a suite
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Ritz Madrid. The accommodations were lovely; the lobby was beautiful, the dining areas were serene, and the room was elegant. The food was also delicious. We had a wonderful lunch on the terrace (very picturesque and relaxing) and a great breakfast. The juices were all freshly squeezed and the fruit was very fresh. What truly made the difference, however, was the staff. They were all very friendly and professional. We look forward to our next stay at the Ritz!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends