“She can still charm”

Ranked #33 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Switzerland
“She can still charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Ritz in Madrid is like a stylish lady of a certain age who knows that younger women are more attractive but who can still charm a suitor with her old-fashioned, well-honed wiles. We stayed there for three days in mid September. They showed us two rooms, one smaller but on an inner courtyard, the other larger, with a view over the Prado. We opted for the former because of our concern about noise from the street, and were not disappointed. It was quiet. Little things make a difference: (1) an excellent mattress, (2) really luxurious bathrobes and towels; (3) having a printed newspaper of your choice delivered to your door (such a change from reading it on your tablet) and (4) free wifi. (It is scandalous that some hotels, especially at the high end, charge for something that has no marginal cost). In addition the public rooms were very pleasant. By contrast, the fitness room, although stylish, was perfunctory, and the corridors were slightly dank, with one seeming to smell of smoke. The staff were without exception pleasant, though not always efficient. Waiters in the restaurant had poor peripheral vision and some odd views about where people might like to sit. The food at breakfast was excellent, but the service slow on one day when a side room was used owing to an event in the main restaurant. Tea in the garden was a disappointment. The garden itself is on a busy road, separated by greenery, which masks the sight but not the sound. The food was overpriced and poor. The tapas were tasteless and old, clearly having been just partially defrosted or just taken out of a too cold fridge. Disappointed with tea, we asked the very courteous concierge for advice on a restaurant for the evening and he sent us to one close by (Viridiana) that proved to be enjoyable. Price-value at the hotel was good (if you discount the tea). We paid Euro 210 per night all inclusive (bed, breakfast, wifi, newspaper, etc.), but this was only after asking a local contact to book for us. The rack rate would have been double this. Altogether, it was a pleasant experience. We found the elderly lady delightful and charming.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inner courtyard are quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Theoph,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Ritz Madrid. I truly appreciate your positive comments and your great feedback about our tea time food and restaurant service. Please allow me to apologize if it was not up to Ritz standards. If you would kind to share which tapas they were, I will follow up on these, as we do not freeze our food, on the contrary they are prepared daily with the freshest ingredients in the market as we are proud to use a good amount of local products that are delivered to us every day.

Looking forward to welcoming you personally back soon at Ritz Madrid and making sure you enjoy an unforgettable experience.

Chrisitan Tavelli
ctavelli@ritz.es

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This was my first visit on vacations to Madrid. We chose a nice hotel to make our lives easier in Madrid and have a haven of peace after our outings with our 11 year old son. In short, the hotel is a classic property with common areas and rooms that are very elaborate. Don't let this fool you. The service is amazing, friendly, attentive and most important not pretentious at all. It is perhaps the Spanish ethos but we felt very welcomed from the bellman at the door, to the reception, room service and concierge.
While on the high on price, we found it a good value compared to similar hotels in other cities. The team @ the ritz made our stay in Madrid a very memorable one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Victore14,

Thank you very much for sharing your great feedback following your recent stay with us in Madrid. Your comments are without hesitation the best reward our team can have as they show we have succeeded in creating memorable experiences to our valuable guests like you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Back recently from 12 days in Spain, including 3 nights at the Hotel Ritz Madrid. Despite the fact that this Ritz was our highest rated hotel in our travels through Spain, it was easily the worst of our 4 hotel experiences.

As AmEx Platinum cardholders know, you're entitled to a free room upgrade "as available" at every AmEx FHR hotel. And as cardholders also know, almost every hotel grants this upgrade, making it seem as though the hotels actually plan in advance to provide the upgrade (as opposed to determining whether it's available upon check-in). For me, this hotel room upgrade is the #1 benefit provided to Platinum cardholders.

Well, not only did the Hotel Ritz Madrid not have an available upgrade, the behavior of the clerk who checked us in makes me certain that the Ritz Madrid never provides the free upgrade. Upon check-in, after being told that our Deluxe Room was not yet available, I asked about the availability of the upgraded room size (a junior suite). The clerk said that he would check, but before he did, I mentioned the AmEx Platinum benefit of a free upgrade, to which he stopped himself from the process of checking and said "oh, that upgrade is not available." (Also, over the course of our stay, we noticed that the hotel was rather empty during our first two days, and then only moderately full on our final day.)

Upon expressing my disappointment over the lack of upgrade, the clerk assured me that we would be given the largest Deluxe Room they had, which came with a beautiful view overlooking the Prado Museum. But that was not what we were given. Our room was on the first floor, looked only into tree branches, and didn't even face the Prado.

Another Platinum benefit is a guaranteed Noon check in. We arrived at 11:45am and was told that our Deluxe Room was not yet available. We had to wait an hour as the room didn't become available until 12:45pm. But, at 11:45am, we were escorted to the large and gorgeously appointed sitting room and offered a glass of champagne on the house. For that exchange, I wouldn't even mention the delay ... except that, about 45 minutes into our wait, now sitting with empty glasses and unsure how much longer we would have to wait, we ordered a second glass of champagne. Well, they charged us for that second glass, 29 Euros per glass for a total of 58 Euros (roughly $75). Granted, we were each offered only "a glass" and we each ordered two, but we did so only because we were still waiting (at, then, 12:30pm) for the room that was guaranteed to be ready for us no later than Noon.

I selected the Ritz Madrid over the other FHR options in Madrid, in part, because it advertises a "fully-equipped" fitness facility. The Ritz's exercise area is a joke, with only a couple of machines, most of which are squeezed sideways into an ill-fitting space. And, because the room is apparently not used often, all the machines were shut down. Because I could not figure out how to turn them on, and because no one staffs the exercise room, I had to go in work-out gear to the Ritz lobby to ask the concierge for help. It took the staffer that finally appeared about 15 minutes to figure out how to turn on the machine I wanted to use, and then, after I asked him to turn on the room's TV, he tried at that for at least 10 minutes before telling me that it must be broken.

Not unlike what I have found in a lot of European hotel rooms, our king-sized bed at the Ritz is not fitted with a king-sized mattress, but instead with two double mattresses pushed together. I raise this only because, at most high-end hotels, there is enough padding over the mattresses to make the "divide" unnoticeable, at least without effort. But not at the Ritz, where the divide is obvious and uncomfortable.

There is no question that this hotel is located in an ideal area of town, and that it is absolutely beautiful. But based upon the issues listed above, coupled with the price, the Hotel Ritz Madrid simply has way too many service flaws to be considered a 5-star hotel.

5 Thank TravelLover23456
Dear Travel Lover 23456,

Thank you very much for sharing the feedback from your recent stay with us and please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you have encountered during your arrival process. We do grant American Express Platinum benefits (like upgrades) most of the time, but unfortunately this was one of those very busy moments of the year where we were not able to.

Your comments about our team attitude does not reflect the standards we strive to offer to each one of our valuable guests, therefore I have taken the necessary corrective actions to ensure no such recurrence of same. I have also noted your comments about our fitness and the mattresses, for these last ones we will add extra padding when joining two twin beds.

I am happy to read at the end of your comment that you found our hotel absolutely beautiful and perfectly located. I do hope you have enjoyed the amazing museums that surround us as well as the proximity to Madrid´s historical center.

If you would allow me, I would love to receive your contact info (at ctavelli@ritz.es), so I can personally communicate with you to further discuss your experience and try to regain your confidence in a team that works with passion to ensure attention to detail in every interaction.

Looking forward to reading from you and to welcoming you back soon the the real Ritz Madrid.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here on business in 2012
Pros: Elegant building in a prestigious location / quiet and convenient / very good restaurant / good quality furnishings (although somewhat tired)
Cons: Wifi was poor / rooms and décor seemed tired and in need of refurbishment / carpets were dirty and unpleasant

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Manto AR,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at Hotel Ritz Madrid. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant, furnishing, location and I assume service.

I also would like to apologize if you were not pleased with room decor and carpets. Even though the hotel is 104 years, we constantly renovate public areas and rooms, maintaining the same style Cesar Ritz designed back in 1910. For example, we have ordered a new hall carpet this summer which will be installed this December, as being hand made, it takes 6 months to be done. We will also reupholster the entire lobby furnishing. In our rooms, every year we restore 25 to 30 units ensuring updated fabrics and carpets every 6 years.

I truly look forward to meeting you personally on your next trip to Madrid and share with you the updates in our legendary hotel.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

The Ritz, a very charming hotel. I will give you my best estimate of what I experience. The check in process can be a bit stressful, since the area is very small, and if crowded it can be a bit stressful. When we got their the room was not ready, but they upgraded us to a suite, NICE ROOM. No complaints from me on the room, it was very elegant and nice. Thank you RITZ

The location is good, and the overall level of service we got was acceptable. The breakfast was ample and had good variations of things. The outside bar/sitting area is very nice, and we got whatever we wanted. The inside area, was also quite and very conducive to get you a drink or food if you want.

OK so like some other reviewer said, come ready to spend 22 Euros for a vodka tonic. Simple it cost a large amount of money to stay here. If you can get pass that, I think the RITZ will be to your satisfaction.

As to any recommendations from the concierge, I don’t even ask. I do my research before I go and pick my places. They all work on gifts/money for recommendations; I should not say that, because I have run in to some who really care. So like everything else in life hit and miss.

Nice Pretty, full of history, this Hotel has it.

Room Tip: Get a SUITE ours looked in to the Courtyard, but the room was ample an din great condition
Dear Eddie S,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience with all Trip Advisor readers. It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay as well as the building, decoration, food and history.

I am sad to read that service was also acceptable, which means there is room for improvement. If you have a moment, I would very much appreciate to have more feedback of your service experiences at ctavelli@ritz.es.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz madrid and have the opportunity to meet you personally.

Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel. Impeccable service. Close to museums, and walking distance or short taxi ride to many shops and restaurants. Stay here twice on this trip. First in a standard room. Good standard room but walls are thin. Then stayed in a suite, everything was perfect. Make sure to specify your preference of smoking or non-smoking. Also, king size beds are not guaranteed. Sometimes you'll get two twins pushed together. No biggy. Breakfast buffet was perfect. If they didn't have what you wanted they will cook it up for you. Afternoon tea service is so pretty in the garden. And drinks and caviar in the lobby is fabulous treat. Would return in an instant. But definitely would upgrade to a suite.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adri0809
ChTavelli, General Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Adri0809,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay at Ritz Madrid. It gives me and my team great pride when we read great comments like yours, as a result of a very positive stay.

I sincerely look forward to welcoming yu back soon to the legenary hotel Ritz Madrid. In the meantime, please find attached a link to our new hotel video which will for sure bring you great memories. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yg8S-sHhI)

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. Wonderful hotel with exceptional service!
Rooms are slightly dated but very comfortable.
House keeping has great attention to details.
Concierge Mr. Alejandro Lopez is very informative and knowledgable, he accomdated all of our needs with great recommedations. We have stayed in many high end hotels all around the world and he is the best concierge we have encountered!

ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear MHCai,

Thank you very much for your great feedback and comments about your stay and specially about our head concierge Alejandro.

Your words of appreciation are the best reward me and my team can receive and we thank you for that.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid.