“Do not stay here if you want to sleep at night”
Review of Hotel Ritz, Madrid

Hotel Ritz, Madrid
Ranked #35 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 7 December 2013

There was a wedding and the loud noise went on late into the night without a care for other residents in the hotel. There was no night manager other than Alfredo who called himself a "night auditor" who refused to do anything. The only thing he offered was that I should move to another floor higher up for one night. It was past midnight and there was no way I was going to be able to pack my stuff and move for one night. I was already on the opposite side of where the wedding was taking place. The hotel has to decide whether they want to cater to business clientele or make themselves an event hotel. If the latter, then major corporations need to remove them from their list of recommended business hotels.

Room Tip: Insist on a room higher up on the opposite side of the ballroom. The wedding was going on until 3am...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank 53MSG
ChTavelli, Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Mrs Mahtre,

Thank you for sharing your comments with all Trip Advisors reeders and my most sincere apologies if the wedding celebration that took place this week end was too loud to let you enjoy a peaceful night in the beauty of our rooms. I will review our events standards as a celebration like the one you are mentioning should not disturb our guests during the night. I sincerely hope you have enjoyed the rest of your stay at the legendary Ritz.

I would appreciate if you can please contact me directly upon your next visit to Madrid for me to ensure personally that you have a memorable experience.

ctavelli@ritz.es

Write a ReviewReviews (2,002)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I were fortunate enough to return to Madrid and the Hotel Ritz this past October. We were welcomed "home" by the Doormen, Ivan and Enrique, by name, and it felt as though we had only been apart from their love and nurturing for a few weeks instead of an entire year!!
How does a "lady" almost 104 years old continue in such grand style? I believe the answer comes from the General Manager who leads by example and his loyal staff follows because of the pride they experience working at a hotel like The Ritz.
The hotel is spotless, the service is beyond 5 star, the food, and the presentation is non-existent anywhere else. They continue to use the finest linens, china, crystal, and silver. It is as though when entering the revolving door you are transported back in time to a more genteel world where manners and grace still existed and people spoke in hushed tones--and not on cell phones!!!
The rooms are charming, and the bed linen is so crisp and of such high quality, and the beds so comfortable you might give up sightseeing altogether for the endless perfect sleep. The bathrooms are spotless and kept well supplied with plush towels that are HUGE, robes, slippers and more soaps, shampoos and creams than you could use in a week. The Housekeeping Staff is so attuned to your needs, and all requests are met with a smile and the requested result. One day a light bulb blew in the closet, and from the time I reported it until the porter arrived with a replacement was under 2 minutes!!
The buffet breakfast is a treat for the eyes and the palate....with all diet requests met, and even something as unusual as my requesting 12 fresh raspberries each morning was not only fulfilled but came to the table in different artistic formations!
There is NOT a question the competent Concierge Staff of Borja, Alejandro, David, and Jesus cannot answer. They are a tremendous resource of places to eat, where to shop,what sights to visit, and just general information not only about Madrid but other cities in Spain as well.
The Switchboard has the most charming women who will handle your calls and wake you up gently with one or two "wake up" calls each morning.
One of the things I have noticed over our many visits to The Ritz is that the staff stays constant--which means they not only enjoy their work, but working at the Grande Dame of hotels in Madrid.
The staff is so well trained that they are available to assist without being "intrusive"----again a lost art in the Hotel Management world.
I know the Hotel is due for a bit of a " facelift", at 104 wouldn't you want some special care too?, but I know the main features of the Ritz will remain intact....you have never seen a more beautiful lobby, and those ceilings that must be 16 feet high ( or higher) take your breath away.
This last trip I noticed a few dogs that were "guests" and they clearly knew how to behave at The Ritz!! I also saw families traveling with children and the staff is so accommodating and welcoming to their youngest visitors as well as their " more mature" guests!
It is clear that I am in love with The Ritz, the staff, and the way my husband and I have been pampered on our visits to Madrid.
We look forward to returning and can and do recommend The Ritz to any traveler who wants the BEST----if that is your goal The Ritz is your answer.

Finally, if you enjoy flowers, the floral presentations throughout the hotel will take your breath away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank diana z

Dear Diana,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience during your recent visit to your home in Madrid. The entire family of the Ritz is already missing you and Bernie, among the Ritz family but we trust that we will have the great pleasure to welcome you back soon home.

Thank you as well about your comments in regards to our team and to the leadership of this hotel. It is a pleasure to be the captain of such a wonderful ship and to create memorable experiences to each one of our beloved guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon to Madrid and wishing you happy holidays!

Reviewed 29 November 2013

What an amazing visit to the Ritz in Madrid !!! We had hoped to have a wonderful time, but our stay was above and beyond our every expectation. We felt like royalty; the associates took such good care of us. The accommodations were fabulous, the food delicious, the service superb, not a single detail was overlooked. We can't thank everyone there enough for making our stay so special, one we will always think back on with very fond memories.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank badc00kie
ChTavelli, General Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear badC00kie,

Thank you very much for choosing Ritz for your recent stay in Madrid and thank you for sharing your positive feedback with all Trip Advisor readers.

Without hesitation, your comments are the best reward my team can receive as we have achieved our goal of creating fond memories.

We all at the Ritz in Madrid look forward to your return!

Reviewed 28 November 2013

If you have ever dreamt of staying in a grand European hotel, the Ritz is the spot for you. From the moment the ever attentive valet/bellman greets you to the warm welcome at the receptionist, you realize you are in for an indulgent experience. Our room was spacious with loads of storage areas, far more than we required. The bathroom was quite fine and amenities were plentiful. Most of all, the service, food, and decor reek luxury and beauty. One of the most memorable hotels we have ever patronized.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PointerDetroit

Dear Ponteir Detroit,

Without hesitation, your comments are the best reward my team can receive as we have achieved our goal of creating memorable experiences to our guests.

We all at the Ritz in Madrid look forward to your return!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Is this hotel expensive? I don’t know, can you put a price on time-travel?
Would it benefit of a refurbishment? Maybe. In areas such as the bathroom. I actually prefer old to new, but in the bathroom you don’t get that antique charm… Instead it feels a little tired an overused.
But seriously, in all aspects the Ritz puts you back several decades. A firsthand experience on those good ol’ days. Every detail is made for you to forget which year it actually is. It certainly worked on us. It’s no different when it comes to staffing either. There’s always someone around the corner with an open smile and a friendly ‘Boenos Dias!’ The friendly smiles peak at breakfast which is sure to lighten up your morning.
I have no doubt – even as a first-timer in Madrid – that we have stayed in the absolute best hotel in town!

Room Tip: Due to the age of the hotel all rooms are different (I've stayed in 3 – all fundamentally differ...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adakov
ChTavelli, General Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Adakov,

I truly look forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz and meeting you personally.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Not many hotels in the world remain so beautiful and so charming. A great pleasure to stay there. The staff is so friendly and corteous and the food is out of this world
Loved the belle epoque rooms!!! Mine was just like in a 1910 movie...so elegant.....and you can open the windows for fresh air!! Just loved it. Impossible to build a building like that again...,

Room Tip: stayed in a room ending in 02..facing the lealtad square...great light, view and extremely confoirta...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Marteen M,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience with all Trip Advisor readers. Reading your comments are the best reward we can have as we can see that the passion from our teams to what they do daily, create memorable experiences to our guests. Since it´s opening in 1910, Hotel Ritz Madrid has consistently updated it´s facilities but always maintaining the beautiful decoration that Cesar Ritz left us as a legacy.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Crossing the door of this hotel is going back to the glorious times of king alphonse XIII since it's decoration remains the same since a century ago but also because several service details have been maintained. For exemple tea service is done in solid silver tea kettles and a century old chinaware is used. In my bed, perfectly ironed 100% linnen sheetsmade my filed my night with peacefull dreams. Breakfast was rich and fullfied the dreams of all of us. Dinner at Goya restaurant was one of the best experiences during my european trip. Wines were carefully selected and I must admit I had the opportunity to discover several great wines from other regions than rioja, thanks to Gema the master somelier. Thank you also to the concierge team, a great asset in this palace

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family