“Great location and out of sight services”
Review of Hotel Ritz, Madrid

Hotel Ritz, Madrid
Ranked #36 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Beverly Hills, Michigan
“Great location and out of sight services”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel is located a short block from the Prado museum and within walking distance of many other sites. The service provided at this hotel is the best, bar none! And we have stayed at many high end hotels. I would agree with other travelers that in some ways the decor is tired. Carpet on stairs in the lobby is worn. Room furnishings also could use an update. Also agree that you need to bring a full wallet. Cocktail in the lobby priced well above average. Afternoon tea in the garden is lovely, but food was just okay - based on the price. We got a package with guided Prado tour, airport transfers, afternoon tea and dinner - and we were happy with all the inclusions. Guided Prado tour was well worth it.

Room Tip: We were located facing an internal courtyard and felt that it was a good location to avoid city nois...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelRitzMadrid, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Pee G,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Ritz and for sharing your experience with all trip advisors readers. It is great to read that you have enjoyed our Mad for Art package and that our service was above any hotel you have stayed around the world, truly flatering words that I will share with all our team members.

I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to Madrid!

Christian Tavelli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

You have to be prepeared that this is not just a hotel Ritz, it's a Spanish Heritage. It's not newly polished posh and trendy - it's a place with a history and yes - charm, I insist. It's like being back in time and I am happy it is maintained. When I just checked-in and walked its squeaky wooden floors I also thought that it desperately needs renovation. But then I entered the room, looked at the old-fashioned curtains with fringe, aged furniture with scratches and tried to imagine how it could look like after the renovation. And I realised that I personally don't want that to be brand new, polished and soleless. The only thing I would advise to the management is to improve maintanance of these old-time look and feel/ And I admit that this is far more complicated then usual cleaning in the newly refurbished accomodation. Thank you, Ritz.
PS. By the way, being a museum itself this hotel is next door to Prado.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear AngliaA21,

Thank you very much for choosing hotel/museum Ritz for your stay in Madrid. It is a great pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that you have been captivated by the magic of this legendary hotel.

The entire team look forward to your return!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stopped into the Ritz Bar late afternoon on a Sunday for champagne and snack after museum-hopping. We were attracted by the serene, tree-lined patio. No sooner had we ordered Moet Chandon and appetizers when we realized the place was overrun with unruly children from a large family party going on in the corner of the terrace. They were darting in and out of all the tables, yelling to one another and having a great time. Unfortunately the rest of us weren't! I don't mind children in any restaurant, but when they are allowed to run around/under the tables of other patrons I think my patience runs out. I can only assume this family was a very good local customer; otherwise I can't imagine why the Bar Management would have permitted such poor behaviour. We did get a bit of an apology after we paid with a Centurion American Express.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Giovanni d, Gerente at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Texas Twin,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, I am sorry for the issue of children.
We could find out that it was some kids who attended a celebration of communion.
We note your comments so that in future no return to annoy customers who visit us to have a good time.

I look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Best Regards
Giovanni de Virgilio
Food & Beverage Manager
Madrid
Reviewed 2 June 2014

One of the leading hotels in the world. The service is what it is all about. Lots of old world glamour and attention to detail. If you are looking for a contemporary, slick hotel with all kinds of cool technology, this is not the hotel for you. For example, there are no security cards to get your room door. They actually give you a key, which looks like it has been used since the 19th century. If this is not your thing, you might want to go next door to The Palace, but for me, it just added to the ambiance. I am an AX Platimum traveler so got the room upgrade. I don't know if this was part of it, but when we got back from walking in Retiro Park, there was a bottle of cava waiting for us. What a surprise! Beautiful, beautiful place with the best staff in the world!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Suzanne A
HotelRitzMadrid, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Suzanne,

Greetings from the Ritz and thank you very much for sharing your great expriences with all Trip Advisors readers.

Reading your positive comments are without hesitation the best reward me and my team can receive as we can see that we have succeeded in creating memorable experiences for you.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was shocked by the condition of The Ritz Madrid. I cannot think of anything nice to say about this hotel. I found everything faded and dusty. Totally depressing. No charm. My Junior Suite was so dirty that I was moved to a suite. It did not help. It was just an awful experience.

I had made a reservation for dinner on line through the hotel website which they could not find.

Lunch on the terrace was not good . The waiter kept calling me "Lady". Not what I want to hear at a 5 star hotel.

I could not get out of this hotel fast enough. They could not pay me to return. Do not go there. So many wonderful hotels throughout Europe. Do not waste your money on this one.

Room Tip: This hotel needs updating. They still use bedspreads. The minibar was a tray. Yuck.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank 4seasons50
HotelRitzMadrid, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing hotel Ritz Madrid and please accept my apologies for the experience you mention which has also shocked me as it totally does not describe the service and facilities of our hotel, recommended by hundreds of other trip advisor critics.

I look forward to hearing more about your stay in order to take immediate action to ensure no recurrence of same. I would very much appreciate if you could provide me with your contact information at ctavelli @ritz.es.

Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed here for the 1st and 2nd of May which we did not know where National Holidays. The hotel was very nice as you would expect and the staff were helpful. The location is great too. The only down side was that when I left my car with the Valet for parking it was left outside the front of the hotel as a type of advertising I guess (this happens a lot with my car) and although I did not mind this the doorman etc did not look after it as expected, as when I came back one night there were people sitting on it having photographs taken and the door staff did nothing to ask them to not touch the car.

Room Tip: Get one that faces the garden not the road.
1 Thank stewart873
Dear Mr Stewart873,

Greetings from Madrid and thank you for choosing hotel Ritz for your stay in Madrid! It is a pleasure to read that you had a wonderful stay and you enjoyed our service. We regularly have very valuable cars parked outside our hotel and we take great care of them. I do apologize if your car was not well looked after and will make sure our doormen take more care about their protection as well.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz and to have the pleasure to meet you in person.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 15 May 2014

After an exhausting but satisfying visit to the Prado Museum, across the street, we decided that we needed a little TLC. We were a bit bedraggled, a bit frowsy, didn't have reservations, and not dressed appropriately to walk in the door of a place like this, but we were greeted as if we were decked out in our finest and long-awaited. The service was impeccable (this is the sort of place that gives ladies little stools for their purses to sit on), the food delicious, and we had all the pampering we'd hoped for. One amusing blip; when the waiters brought out the amuse-bouche, which I believe had a dab of crab on it, my daughter demurred, and we explained that she is "vegetariano." They whisked it away, only to return with a plate of ham! Not sure what happened there ("vegetariano" is perfectly accurate for "vegetarian") but it was funny.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BakerNomi
Giovanni d, Gerente at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear BakerNomi,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, our entire kitchen team of the Goya Restaurant, works hard to offer our customers plesant exeriences.
With the arrival of warm weather we have the Terrace-Garden open, definitely a unique place to enjoy a cuisine that always respects the original products.
Thanks for your understanding for the vegetarian issue

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards