“Very Good”

Ranked #33 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
washington
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here in February, 2014 for a romantic trip to Spain. This is an elegant, older hotel with uneven services. With the burgeoning of newer hotels, all of which have updated technology and refined service; this hotel and staff seemed a bit out of sort.

Our booking entitled an upgrade at time of check in; this was offered by the reception, with the addition of 175 Euros per night. We were glad to have declined this after checking into our room. The room was clean, large and adequate; decoration reminisce the era of power wigs and large ball gowns. Our room had the view of a garden and further upgrade was really not necessary. The sleep was comfortable and quiet. Toiletries are miniature and were the same brand used by the Les Suites Taipei four years ago.

Receptionists were overwhelmed at times, as there were quite a few ongoing conferences. Multiple phone calls went unanswered and many questions during our stay and at check out were met with blank stares. We wanted more information regarding the Ritz Hotel group, as it has a good presence in Peru. However, instead of engaging in an discussion, they were not interested, and we were asked to consult the internet instead.

In contrast, the concierge was quite good and their recommendations of restaurants were on spot. This hotel was extremely generous with early check in and late check out; no fuss or questions, and our requests were met promptly. High mark to the management, who was prompt with pre-arrival email correspondents.

The restaurant and breakfast were good and adequate. However, our experience at the Ritz Madrid lacks a certain pep, and it left us wanting something more. Perhaps update to the room, botox injections to the staff or something to get the pace going. The hotel and service here are stuck in a time warp: it was like watching your arthritic aunt in action; painfully slow and uncomfortable.

Overall, this hotel is centrally located and very comfortable; it is safe, clean and oozes an old word charm of a bygone era. Clients here are extremely well heeled, matrons wrapped in thick mink, and old money. However, it lacks a little something that warrants five stars.

I would recommend the Hotel Ritz Madrid, just go at a very slow pace, keep the receptionist at bay and engage the concierge.

Room Tip: chose a room facing the garden.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank panam747
HotelRitzMadrid, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Panam747,

Greetings from Madrid and thank you very much for sharing your experience with all trip advisors readers. Without hesitation, your comments are very detailed and appreciated as they allow me to take immediate action to correct certain attitudes from some of our team members.

I sincerely look forard to welcoming you back soon to see "the change".

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The decor downstairs in the lobby, reception and public areas is beautiful and charming, and the location is excellent, but that's where it ends unfortunately. The room was tiny and about 20 years overdue a refurb. Threadworn malting carpets, filthy at the edges around the skirting, and a bathroom so small one had to squeeze sideways between the door and the sink to get in and out. The shower was not separate from the bath and a dirty shower curtain both clung to you as you washed but also allowed gallons of water to flow out over the bathroom floor at the tap end. Towels and bed linen were inferior in quality and the bed not especially comfortable. Wifi was also painfully slow. I'll be back at the Palace over the road next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank chesl77
Dear Chesl77,

Thank you for choosing the Ritz for your stay in town and please accept my apologies if the hotel was did not reach your expectations. Being a 104 years old hotel, all rooms are different and some of our classic rooms may not be as large as entry level rooms in other hotels. Nevertheless, as all rooms are different, it is always a pleasure to show other rooms until your complete satisfaction. And if the classic category is not what you are looking for, we have beautiful deluxe rooms, junior suites and deluxe suites.

In reference to our bed linen, towels and bed comfort, we always receive very positive comments as they are made with the finest linen ensuring a great sleep.

Westin Palace and Ritz by Belmond share a lot of history but are two very different hotels in the interior, managed by two very different brands, ecah one having it´s own followers. Even though I truly respect your decision, should you allow us to reedem ourselves, please email me directly upon your next visit to Madrid and I would be glad to make sure you will enjoy the beauty of our facilities, reflecting the charm and luxury designed by Cesar Ritz in 1910 (ctavelli @ritz.es).

Beverly Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel is located a short block from the Prado museum and within walking distance of many other sites. The service provided at this hotel is the best, bar none! And we have stayed at many high end hotels. I would agree with other travelers that in some ways the decor is tired. Carpet on stairs in the lobby is worn. Room furnishings also could use an update. Also agree that you need to bring a full wallet. Cocktail in the lobby priced well above average. Afternoon tea in the garden is lovely, but food was just okay - based on the price. We got a package with guided Prado tour, airport transfers, afternoon tea and dinner - and we were happy with all the inclusions. Guided Prado tour was well worth it.

Room Tip: We were located facing an internal courtyard and felt that it was a good location to avoid city nois...
Dear Pee G,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Ritz and for sharing your experience with all trip advisors readers. It is great to read that you have enjoyed our Mad for Art package and that our service was above any hotel you have stayed around the world, truly flatering words that I will share with all our team members.

I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to Madrid!

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

You have to be prepeared that this is not just a hotel Ritz, it's a Spanish Heritage. It's not newly polished posh and trendy - it's a place with a history and yes - charm, I insist. It's like being back in time and I am happy it is maintained. When I just checked-in and walked its squeaky wooden floors I also thought that it desperately needs renovation. But then I entered the room, looked at the old-fashioned curtains with fringe, aged furniture with scratches and tried to imagine how it could look like after the renovation. And I realised that I personally don't want that to be brand new, polished and soleless. The only thing I would advise to the management is to improve maintanance of these old-time look and feel/ And I admit that this is far more complicated then usual cleaning in the newly refurbished accomodation. Thank you, Ritz.
PS. By the way, being a museum itself this hotel is next door to Prado.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear AngliaA21,

Thank you very much for choosing hotel/museum Ritz for your stay in Madrid. It is a great pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that you have been captivated by the magic of this legendary hotel.

The entire team look forward to your return!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stopped into the Ritz Bar late afternoon on a Sunday for champagne and snack after museum-hopping. We were attracted by the serene, tree-lined patio. No sooner had we ordered Moet Chandon and appetizers when we realized the place was overrun with unruly children from a large family party going on in the corner of the terrace. They were darting in and out of all the tables, yelling to one another and having a great time. Unfortunately the rest of us weren't! I don't mind children in any restaurant, but when they are allowed to run around/under the tables of other patrons I think my patience runs out. I can only assume this family was a very good local customer; otherwise I can't imagine why the Bar Management would have permitted such poor behaviour. We did get a bit of an apology after we paid with a Centurion American Express.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Giovanni d, Gerente at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Texas Twin,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, I am sorry for the issue of children.
We could find out that it was some kids who attended a celebration of communion.
We note your comments so that in future no return to annoy customers who visit us to have a good time.

I look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Best Regards
Giovanni de Virgilio
Food & Beverage Manager
Madrid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

One of the leading hotels in the world. The service is what it is all about. Lots of old world glamour and attention to detail. If you are looking for a contemporary, slick hotel with all kinds of cool technology, this is not the hotel for you. For example, there are no security cards to get your room door. They actually give you a key, which looks like it has been used since the 19th century. If this is not your thing, you might want to go next door to The Palace, but for me, it just added to the ambiance. I am an AX Platimum traveler so got the room upgrade. I don't know if this was part of it, but when we got back from walking in Retiro Park, there was a bottle of cava waiting for us. What a surprise! Beautiful, beautiful place with the best staff in the world!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Suzanne A
HotelRitzMadrid, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Suzanne,

Greetings from the Ritz and thank you very much for sharing your great expriences with all Trip Advisors readers.

Reading your positive comments are without hesitation the best reward me and my team can receive as we can see that we have succeeded in creating memorable experiences for you.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was shocked by the condition of The Ritz Madrid. I cannot think of anything nice to say about this hotel. I found everything faded and dusty. Totally depressing. No charm. My Junior Suite was so dirty that I was moved to a suite. It did not help. It was just an awful experience.

I had made a reservation for dinner on line through the hotel website which they could not find.

Lunch on the terrace was not good . The waiter kept calling me "Lady". Not what I want to hear at a 5 star hotel.

I could not get out of this hotel fast enough. They could not pay me to return. Do not go there. So many wonderful hotels throughout Europe. Do not waste your money on this one.

Room Tip: This hotel needs updating. They still use bedspreads. The minibar was a tray. Yuck.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank 4seasons50
HotelRitzMadrid, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing hotel Ritz Madrid and please accept my apologies for the experience you mention which has also shocked me as it totally does not describe the service and facilities of our hotel, recommended by hundreds of other trip advisor critics.

I look forward to hearing more about your stay in order to take immediate action to ensure no recurrence of same. I would very much appreciate if you could provide me with your contact information at ctavelli @ritz.es.