“Downhill alert for Vincci Soma?”
Review of Vincci Soma

Vincci Soma
Ranked #157 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I stayed in the Vincci Soma in February and had a good time (albeit after they'd moved me from a noisy room with blanked out windows) so I decided to book here again on my last visit to Madrid.

Unfortunately the experience this time was not so enjoyable. Despite requesting (several months in advance) a similar room to the one I'd had before I got a smaller room at the back of the hotel and on a lower floor. I was told it wasn't possible to change. Seems being a returning visitor doesn’t get you any favours.

The single room although small and with a view of next door's drying laundry was clean and had a safe (although no iron). The bathroom just had a large shower but was spotless. Unfortunately I had to request soap and shampoo on the second day and toilet roll the day after as housekeeping didn’t replace them.

There’s free WiFi in the hotel but the signal in my room varied between very weak and mostly non-existent. The TV quality was very poor although this was also the case on my last visit and seems to be a problem throughout the hotel. They should sort this out.

I also noticed the carpets on the third floor didn't look too sparkling. Not necessarily a problem but can be indicative of general standards in the hotel.

All the above were minor irritants but just about bearable. The dealbreaker was the nightclub next to the hotel. I’d noticed this on my last visit but it didn’t affect me as I was on the 6th floor. This time I was on the 3rd floor and never got any sleep on a Thursday night until the disco ended in the early hours. Very wearing.

The walls were pretty thin as well so I was more aquainted with my neighbours comings and goings than was strictly necessary. If you can’t guarantee a room on a high floor I would seriously consider another hotel.

On the plus side the staff at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. They even understood my poor Spanish and would switch to English when I struggled. The rates aren’t too bad and the location in Barrio Salamanca is great.

Once you been to Madrid a few times it’s the ideal area to stay in. There’s a couple of El Cortes Ingles department stores nearby. There’s very few tourists around and the bars and restaurants are very good. There’s also plenty of metro stations and getting to the airport costs just a couple of Euros.

I visit Madrid a couple of times a year and I’d like to stay at the Vincci Soma again but I don’t want to end up in a poor room. As it seems they can’t honour requests, even several months in advance I’m afraid I’ll have to look elsewhere. A real shame.

Room Tip: If you can't get a room above the 4th floor then get earplugs or get another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank rmajumdar
GemmadeVincci, Gerente at Vincci Soma, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to know that your stay with us has met your expectations, even though there were some specific details that were not to your liking. We will keep in mind your suggestions so as to improve our service in the future. We would like to point out that we are carrying out improvements in our facilities, among which we have now replaced the carpets in the hallways and are improving the Wifi service throughout the entire hotel. The nightclub that is next door is for the moment closed and therefore is not a source of noise problems in our facilities. Without a doubt the satisfaction of our guests is our reason to be.

We hope to welcome you again soon to our hotels.

Warmest regrads.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

as per other reviews, either ask for a room away from the nightclub next door or bring earplugs. It only really disturbed me on the Friday night where I went out of the hotel at 5am to see what the fuss was about only to see a large group of young individuals partying away and keeping everyone awake, must be against residential noise pollution laws but apparently the police don't care.

Otherwise the hotel was nice. They did us a deal on the breakfast so we got it for 11 euros. Would say it's worth it unless you goto self catering because you don't get much change for a meal. Otherwise try the restaurant in VIPS (for breakfast looked good) - out of the hotel and turn right. Metro was conveniently located and bus tour was out the hotel and turn right. Went to some good restaurants not too far away and also Real Madrid and the Palace.

Gym is also a nice touch, rooms are modern and there is a trick in making the TV work. Couple of news channels in English and safe in the room which is good and free wifi which is also good.

Room Tip: Away from noise
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
VincciHotels, "Community Manager" at Vincci Soma, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to write us your opinions and comments regarding your stay in our hotel.  In regards to the noise from the club, we would like to inform you that it is an establishment completely independent from the hotel, it´s management has changed hands recently and it is causing some problems lately, like the one you mentioned.  However, we hope this situation will be resolved as soon as possible, and our establishment as well as various other neighborhood groups in the area have complained about the same problem and have taken adequate measures to solve the problem by reporting it to the adecuate authorities.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

The rooms are small, comfortable, clean and the hotel is well situated. When booking specifically ask for a room away from the discoteque noise. Breakfasts are expensive. Good shopping in the area and the Metro is over the road and easy to use

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 September 2011

We chose the Vincci Soma mainly for its location as we went to see a concert in the nearby Palacio Deportes. We arrived by flight to Madrid airport and took the Metro to Goya station which was just across the road from the hotel, the concert venue was a 5 min walk down the Calle Goya all very easy and convenient.

Smooth and friendly checkin, modern bright room on the 7th floor, well insulated by double, double glazing from the road noise outside. Comfortable bed with a pillow menu should you need. All the standard fair of a 4star city hotel, minibar, music centre, flat screen tv, hairdryer etc.

It was a nice touch to have free in room wifi, not all hotels around the world seem to offer this, and i feel it should be standard in this day and age. (plus it was not slow either!!)

Our breakfast was served in the hotel main restaurant, which included a large array of both hot and continental choices, served us well for the day ahead.

The Vincci Soma is also well located for the heart of the city, being about a 20 min walk or 1.50€ each way on the Metro.

Only negative as has been previously commented, inter-room noise could at times be heard more than normal, but it did not detract overall and we still had a good sleep.

All in all a good stay, pre-booking offered good value for money for a city hotel and would return should we need to stay in Madrid again.

Room Tip: Would recommend a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smurfy71
VincciHotels, "Community Manager" at Vincci Soma, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

To our esteemed guest:

It was such a pleasure reading your comments. Without a doubt, feedback like yours encourages us to continue working hard so that our guests’ experiences at our hotels are enjoyable ones. We would love to see you again soon at any of our establishments.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

Handy for the metro. Good shops, bars and restaurants nearby. Comfortable room but noise transmission from adjacent rooms, conference rooms below, and weekend disco made for very disturbed sleep - always tired which spoiled holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for room above 2nd floor and away from disco.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2011

The rooms are comfortable, though the walls between rooms are a bit thin. Also, there is a discotheque on the premises or nearby, so it's best to ask for a room as far away as possible. The thermostat was set to freezing in the summer, and the engineer seemed unable to adjust the temperature. Other than that, the service was very efficient and friendly. Good location, too.

Room Tip: Sleep far from the discotheque.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank 20,007
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I stayed at the Vincci Soma Hotel in Madrid for 5 nights during the Christmas holiday in December 2010. The location of the hotel is very close to the Goya metro station, in case you want to use Metro to go around the city. There is a shopping area around the hotel.
The single room was very small, but they keep it clean. In my room there were a bed, a desk and chair, a removable bench to place a suitcase, a TV and music sets, an air-conditioning, a refrigerator under the desk, a wardrobe with a safe inside. A bathroom was with shower, toilet and washbasin, equipped also with a hair dryer. New towels and toiletries were provided to me every day. However, during nights in December it was too cold inside, so I had to use air-conditioning system to make the room warm.
I liked the service there and the hosts were very welcoming, friendly and helpful, especially in providing directions to sightseeing places. There is a wireless internet (included in the price) available in this hotel.
I took breakfast there, which was a very good one: from salty and sweet things over fruits and deserts to yoghurts, coffee and juices. For other meals, there are some restaurants around the hotel.
All in all, I highly recommend this hotel at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo