“Small but very adequate”

Hostal Avenida Barajas
Ranked #74 of 277 Madrid B&B and Inns
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Small but very adequate”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I spent just one night there, but I found the room very clean and comfortable, although it was small. The bathroom was also clean, and it provided some facilities that are not available in big hotels. It does not have restaurant, but it provides a small but good breakfast for 5 euros (a very good price considering the cost of meals in Madrid!) I had the metro station at a short walking distance and the town of Barajas seemed to be safe. The close location to the terminar 4 of the Madrid Airport was very convenient. I recommend this hostal for business and leisure trips.

Room Tip: Ask to front desk if your floormates are young (in their 20s or 30s). If so, ask a relocation to oth...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rodashin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Czech first
Nakskov, Denmark
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We expected nothing but a clean room with a nice bed for an overnight stay between two flights. And that was exactly what we had. One metro stop from any of the Madrid-Barajas Terminals and then a mere 250 metres walk leads you to the Hostal Avenida. No frills, but no dirt either - we can especially recommend the rooms around the small patio behind the lobby. Well, lobby? It is rather a corridor with just enough room for a check in desk.
The staff was generally friendly and efficient - only one member knew very little English and did not seem very professional.
The breakfast was OK - just sufficient and nothing more.
But all in all - we can recommend Hostal Avenida if you need a cheap and clean place to spend a night near the airport.

Room Tip: The rooms around the patio are well away from any traffic noise and slightly bigger than the other r...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I had one day in Madrid before a flight back to the states, so this was just what I needed. Clean, quiet, 1 block from the metro and 1 metro stop from the airport. I wouldn't recommend it for a longer stay if you want to explore Madrid, as it is about 30 mins from the city center, but it's great for a layover. FYI, the rooms are outside, so it is actually a motel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
BC, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stumbled on this place through some last-minute web searching from Lisbon, as we were scheduled for just a couple of days in Madrid at the end of our trip to Portugal. We wanted somewhere inexpensive, close to the airport, and on a metro line so we could explore Madrid a bit.

Hostal Avenida was a lucky but perfect choice! One metro stop away from the airport, so we didn't have to pay the extra charge that we would have if we'd been actually AT the airport. A small grocery store next door, and another around the corner. Almost new, with everything working beautifully, and at a very reasonable price. The hostal, and its rooms, are quite small, but in the best European tradition, everything is built in so you don't need much room. Nice facilities! The wifi worked well.

They weren't serving breakfast when we were there, but we found that Barajas actually was a nice little village--you just had to walk over a couple of streets from Avenida de Logrono (where the hostal was located) and there were a bunch of cafes, small shops, a square, etc. None of this was visible at first glance. It seemed like just a big, new main street, but there's more to Barajas than that. An interesting little cultural center as well.

We really enjoyed staying here!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IslanderBC_Canada
Liverpool, England
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I missed my connection at Madrid airport due to plane delays and I had to find myself a hotel for the night.It was pretty scary situation for me being an older woman and alone.
I was recommended a hotel in Barajas , one stop on the Metro.
When I got to Barajas the hotel was a bus ride away , I didn't fancy this in the dark , so when I spotted Hostal Avenida, near the Metro I decided to try it. From the front it looks small but inside the receptionist welcomed me and I got a double room for 45 Euros inc continental breakfast. The hotel has only been open a few weeks, but everything about it was good.
The finish was top class,modern, lovely ensuite shower room , air con , tv...as I said not big but so neat and quiet.
Breakfast was self service in a little area off reception, the owner Emilio spoke excellent English and was very helpful in giving me directions and allowing me to leave my suitcase whilst I saw the city.There is a vending machine in the lobby for snacks and drinks, very handy if it's late at night and you're hungry.
100 yds away is Burger King, next door is a Best Western at twice the priceof Avenida.
I will certainly use this hotel next time I visit Madrid.
Mary Williams ( Liverpool UK)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo