“Stuck in the 1970s”

Ranked #234 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Grand Cayman
“Stuck in the 1970s”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Stayed for 2 nights and expecting a 4* hotel as advertised on the booking site. Very small room with tired decor. Bathroom was about the same size as the bedroom with very awkward access to shower and bath - could be dangerous with a wet floor. Whole hotel looked liked it was last reburbished in the 1970s. Plus points were the very friendly staff, free WIFI and pleasant buffet breakfast served to 11.30 weekends. Lots of much nicer hotels in Madrid.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Patchpup
HOTELAROSA, Directora Adjunta at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
I thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.
We take all customer feedback seriously and regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving.
It is my hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
I am looking forward to welcoming you again.
BEST WESTERN HOTEL AROSA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Ray, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stayed at this property after traveling for 2 plus weeks so this was the last two days of a 22 day trip. The hotel lobby needs updated however the rooms were great based on what rooms in Europe look like. The room and bathroom was clean and updated. Of course as always staying in the city it was noisy at night. The hallways were also noisy late into the night.
Also at check in we noticed you could prepay your breakfast at a discount and we did for 2 days and it was so bad we decided day two to cancel our reservations.
They was no tour desk or consierge so it was difficult to find any help on tours

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
HOTELAROSA, Directora Adjunta at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
I sincerely thank you for the attention you have shown by giving your opinion regarding your stay at our property.
Again, I thank you for your sincerity and I would be very grateful if you gave us, at some point, another opportunity to change the negative impression you are now under.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

A friend and I stayed for one night at the Best Western Arosa on May 3rd, and I was shocked at how rude the staff was. When I called to ask a question at the front desk, they quickly answered and hung up on me before I could ask my second question. When I asked if they had a room for May 4th, they laughed in my face. The next morning, my friend and I were terribly jet lagged and overslept. After several admonishing phone calls from the staff at around 11am, an employee actually opened our room door (without knocking) while we were changing our clothes. It was very uncomfortable and we couldn't wait to get out of there after all of that. One night was PLENTY. Location and rooms were nice, but the attitude was really awful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank elizabethcbrady
HOTELAROSA, Directora Adjunta at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of our hotel on tripadvisor.com
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.
I am looking forward to welcoming you again.
With my best regards
BEST WESTERN HOTEL AROSA

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

We moved here our last night in Madrid out of desperation from a dirty and unsafe hotel. We couldnt have been happier with our move.

-clean
-spacious
-good location on Gran Via for touristy things/plaza mayor/peurto del sol

The only negative was the centrally controlled AC wasn't the coolest, but we survived. I mean we didn't exactly sign up (or want to pay) for 5 star luxury so you get what you pay for.

BOTTOM LINE: great value, would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
HOTELAROSA, Directora Adjunta at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable stay with us.
You maybe sure that with such praises we will always try to better our services and to carry out work with an ever increasing guest.
Very kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

Just back from 5 days in this hotel.I've to admit that after reading a lot of reviews I was a bit worried and i dind't expect much, so it came to a big surprise to discover that this is actually a great hotel.Location is perfect ,metro is just a few steps away and Madrid has the benus that you can actually reach the airport by metro with just 2 euro. Yes, it's true one of the lift at the hotel is very small, but that's because the builiding is very old and i'm under the impression they can't touch it, but if anything i found it very quaint! rooms were newly refurbished and quite spacious. Bathroom brand new.Yes, not all the staff speak English, but the ones that don't try their very best to make themselves understood. Breakfast was very good, a lot of fresh food and never a problem in finding a table despite being very busy. They even have a computer with free interned in their beautifully decoreted lobby. All in all a great place to discover a great city.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
I am very thankful for bringing up such a positive feedback.
I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us. I shared your feedback with all my team and they felt very rewarded by your words.
I look forward to your next visit so we can offer you our undivided attention.
stoke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed in an executive room. I was a little disappointed as I expected luxury but the room was quite basic . We had a free mini bar which was nice and also a free safe.
The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was great with lots to choose from. The drinks are expensive but you get a generous amount.(6 euros for a gin)
The location is excellent close to metro which is the best way to get around. Only 5 minutes walk from an area for the ladies of the night but don't let this put you off they do not pester you.
From the airport to the hotel is 2 euros. Where in the uk can you get value like that ?
Madrid is a wonderful city and would recommend along with the hotel if you do not expect to much in the way of luxury .

• Stayed March 2011
HOTELAROSA, Directora Adjunta at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
I sincerely thank you for the attention you have shown by giving your opinion regarding your stay at our hotel.
My team felt rewarded to know you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Indeed, we have a passion for our guests and it is with deep honesty that we try and make you feel as comfortable as at home.
Hoping to have the pleasure to meet you on your next visit, I remain with best regards.
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed only 2 nights. The hotel was clean but the room I stayed in was a little outdated (room 410) it was on the Grand Via side. I live in the city of Chicago so the noise did not bother me but then too it was not that noisy either. it would have been a plus it the breakfast was included. I took a look and did not feel it was worth the price. Found a bakery near by that was excellent. The staff was friendly. The bartender at night (not sure of his name) was very nice and accommodating. The Wi-Fi worked when it wanted too. It was worst at night. The other problem was the wait if someone was on it (you get your code and can stay on it for an hour).
I returned to Madrid with my niece the night before we left for Chicago. She booked it knowing I had stayed there a few days before. We were in room on the 3rd floor and I was a little pissed because this room WAS updated then my previous one. Not much of view (a construction scaffold set against the building). Not really use to sleeping in a twin bed and would have preferred 2 double beds instead.
Great location, near the Metro station.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
I also thank you for the special mention to our bartender.
Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create and enjoyable experience for each of our Guest.
I really look forward to welcoming you soon in the near future.