“Acceptable with some shortcomings”
Review of Hotel Arosa

Hotel Arosa
Ranked #247 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Location: this is the best part of this hotel. The entrance to the hotel is on a side street to Gran Via, the most famous street in town with lots of stores, coffee shops and restaurants. You can walk from here to most of the sights and there are several metro and bus stations nearby. Unfortunately in the pedestrian area to the right of the Gran Via metro station there seems to be the red light district.

Room: we booked the executive room and I think we probably got the best room in the hotel: on the 8th floor overlooking the Gran Via. The room is pretty small (I expected it to be bigger for an executive!) with ugly PVC flooring but on the plus side the bathroom is very nice with complementary liquid soap and shower & hair gel. The room is overall nicely furnished but the bed is too low and the matrace is only placed on top of it in the middle so there's a big gap betweet the matrace and the wall, which might look fashionable but it's uncomfortable. The view of the room is on Gran Via but they're restoring the building front so there's scaffold right in front of the windows which ruins the view. For our entire stay I have not seen any workers doing any cleaning and painting on the building front.

Breakfast: the usual bread rolls, toast, boiled eggs, hams, sausages, bacon, cheese, pastry, croissant, muffin, three types of cereals, fresh fruits but microwaved scrambled eggs and no salads. Ice cubes for the juices was a nice touch. There's also miso soup with rice which I found unusual.

Free wireless internet: username and password is provided by the reception free of charge upon request. Even though connected to the network with 2-3 lines, the internet doesn't work most of the time. I constantly have to try to re-connect until it starts working but even then it works only for a few minutes.

Lobby: very nice with a bar, comfy couches and two computers connected to the internet (username and password from the reception). I checked in for our return flight on one of them and printed the tickets directly to the printer at the reception at no extra cost.

Staff: they get the job done but it wouldn't hurt if they would be friendlier and most importantly if they would smile a bit.

What I found incredibly disturbing is the cleaning lady cleaning up in the rooms next to us at 8 in the morning! The walls are thin so I could hear her bump into things, speaking loud and vacuum clean like she was right next to me. Of course on a more normal time for cleaning up when the guests are in the city, like at 12 at noon, her cleaning stuff was on the hallway but she was nowhere to be found.

Gym: there's a gym on the 8th floor but we didn't try it.

All in all, I think this is more like a 3* hotel and, if you want good location and you can accept these limitations which I described above (like we did), you'll have a nice stay.

P.S: The tiny elevator is hilarious!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Many thanks for your mixed review following a recent stay with us.

I have certainly taken your comments on board, and I hope that we may be able to welcome you back again in the future for a 100% positive experience.

I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

With my best regards

Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed 1 night at Best Western Arosa, and I wasn't very impressed with the overall quality of this over-starred (4*) hotel. I would give it no more that 3 and half stars. The hotel is centrally located just a few feet away from the metro station Gran Via, and also a couple of minutes walk to the famous Plaza del Sol. The smallest elevator I've seen so far was in this hotel, and I don't think an overweight person would fit in it. Unlike other hotels in Spain, you need to use your credit card to lock and unlock the in-room safety deposit box, which basically defeats the main purpose of storing the valuable items (including the credit card) in the box. The breakfast is overpriced (€14) and it's not worth the money. There are so many cafes around the hotel, where you can have breakfast for a lot cheaper.

On a different note, there is a nice restaurant with friendly waitresses just a few steps down the street from the hotel that serves very delicious Galician food, and you won't regret eating there either lunch or dinner. To not get confused with other restaurants nearby, this Galician restaurant has a large glass door entrance and the table chairs are in white/green color.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Tamuda

Let me start by thanking you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

Center town is just close by, you can get metro easily, everything what you like to visit is reachable by foot, yes the best way to see town anyhow ! People at reception are quite nice and helpful, we did not have breakfast included in arrangement but could get it at hotel without problem, there was a special offer when we went. Breakfast is good : orange juice, coffee or tea or milk, bread, toast, ham, marmelades, honey, butter, eggs, chease, sweets and fruits. Maybe it could be different sweets every day, but of course you can choose everytime something else, one day salty, one day sweet, and one day cereals. Outside the hotel there are many places where you can get some sweets and full breakfast too. Rooms on last floor, japanese floor, are just beautiful. Room big enough, bathroom too, everything is very clean. Sure a nice place !

Room Tip: book room on advance.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create and enjoyable experience for each of our Guest.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!

Reviewed 16 June 2011

The people at the recepction hardly ever smiled (especialy the lady seemed to be annoyed that people stayed there and she had to help them).
The rooms were shabby, we had to change rooms because the bathroom of first one smelled very bad, then we were placed in a smokers room without being asked if we had a problem with it, and it smelled bad too but we decided to enjoy our holiday and didn't ask for another one.
The breakfast was ok and the people there, were very friendly.
The area is perfect, we didn't have to use the metro at all, everything was in walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

I thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

I am sorry your stay didn't meet your expectations. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns and it is my hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future and to offer you our undivided attention.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

Reviewed 5 June 2011

I booked this hotel via Expedia and got a really cheap rate by paying in advance, non-refundable. On arrival I got upgraded to King room which was great. This hotel has been upgraded and decorated fairly recently and is above average for Best Western, 1 min from subway. Location could not be better, right in the middle of shopping area and night life. One of the hotel lifts is a small triangle and the hotel believes it may be the oddest shaped lift in the world. Free wifi throughout the hotel, though not very reliable, it's free. Reception staff a bit grumpy and never smile, but the room maids do. The buffet breakfast is a little pricey but plenty Starbucks etc nearby if you want to save money. But definitely I'll stay at this hotel again, attractive, clean, great location and unbeatable value for money

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

I sincerely thank you for the attention you have shown by giving your opinion regarding your stay at our property.

You maybe sure that with such praises we will always try to better our services and to carry out work with an ever increasing gusto.

Hoping to have the pleasure to meet you on your next visit, I remain with best regards.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Stayed for 2 nights and expecting a 4* hotel as advertised on the booking site. Very small room with tired decor. Bathroom was about the same size as the bedroom with very awkward access to shower and bath - could be dangerous with a wet floor. Whole hotel looked liked it was last reburbished in the 1970s. Plus points were the very friendly staff, free WIFI and pleasant buffet breakfast served to 11.30 weekends. Lots of much nicer hotels in Madrid.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Patchpup
HOTELAROSA, Directora Adjunta at Hotel Arosa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

I thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.
We take all customer feedback seriously and regret that we did not meet your expectations.
It is my hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
I am looking forward to welcoming you again.
BEST WESTERN HOTEL AROSA

Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stayed at this property after traveling for 2 plus weeks so this was the last two days of a 22 day trip. The hotel lobby needs updated however the rooms were great based on what rooms in Europe look like. The room and bathroom was clean and updated. Of course as always staying in the city it was noisy at night. The hallways were also noisy late into the night.
Also at check in we noticed you could prepay your breakfast at a discount and we did for 2 days and it was so bad we decided day two to cancel our reservations.
They was no tour desk or consierge so it was difficult to find any help on tours

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
HOTELAROSA, Directora Adjunta at Hotel Arosa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2011

Again, I thank you for your sincerity and I would be very grateful if you gave us, at some point, another opportunity to change the negative impression you are now under.
BEST WESTERN HOTEL AROSA