“Great location!”

Ranked #241 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great location!”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and don't really have many complaints. It is very centrally located on Gran Via with easy access to all the tourist attractions and was also good value for money. We were lucky to have been allocated a corner room on the 6th floor which was very spacious - with a small sitting area. The drawback was there was no lighting for this area which seemed a bit odd to say the least. It wouldn't have taken alot of imagination to put a standing light in a corner. Also for a four star hotel, the most basic tea/ coffee making facilities were not available in the room which in this day and age is expected even in lower rating hotels. In general, it seemed more like a 3 star than 4 star hotel. The staff were responsive when help needed, but they were not particularly friendly - wouldn't have taken much to smile a little bit more!! We did not have breakfast there as 14 euros did not seem very good value. The lift situation is indeed hilarious (or infuriating? or both?) as referred to by many guests - the tiniest lifts to service such a massive hotel is really beyond reason. However, I have to say we didn't have to wait long most of the time for the lift - perhaps we were lucky. And also as we travelled light, we had no issue with luggage, etc not fitting into the limited space. All in all, a great location which made up for the other faults. The entrance is on the side on Salud rather than on Gran Via. It was a shame with the scaffolding, I am sure it looks alot more attractive without it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank doofvfood
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent experience with us .

I note your ratings were positive, and we will endeavor to address the issues you have raised.

I very much regret for all the inconveniences we may cause to you with the scaffolding but, there is need to tell you that the improvement works are a normal, apart from necessary, duty for any Hotel all over the world so that this keeps up to the highest standards.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again.

Kind regards

Best Western Hotel Arosa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Voorburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 July 2011

After many city tours throughout Europe as well as Spain (lately Barcelona and Valencia) we choose Madrid and an hotel right in the center with walking distance to all high-lights. Arosa is a very best choice. We booked in advence for a week at a moderate price. The entrance and the reception on the 2nd floor seemed quite odd. Scaffolding all around the building, but people were taking it down. We changed rooms from the 5th floor to the japonese floor, without scaffolding. Reception was very friendly and helpfull. We ended up in a spacious room, all funrnished in japonese way, so the beds were okay, but close to the floor. Bamboo type of vinyl flooring, excellent bathroom.

The breakfast which was included in the price was ok, however the hotel was very busy (gay parade) so you had to wait refilling eg scrambling eggs. The lounge and bar were cosy, free drink and cocktails ok., service very good.

Wifi on the room works excellent, no problems printing our e-tickets in the lounge. A point of criticism is the location of the reception and the 1 1/2 elevator for a think 160 rooms. As architect I know something about capacity calculations on elevators. I never have seen this nor designed this my live. Looking to the emergency plan I saw two extra lifts in the other emergency stairwell. I am curious how the future wil look like in Arosa.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Let me start by thanking you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create and enjoyable experience for each of our Guest.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!

Nurnberg, Germany
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Location: this is the best part of this hotel. The entrance to the hotel is on a side street to Gran Via, the most famous street in town with lots of stores, coffee shops and restaurants. You can walk from here to most of the sights and there are several metro and bus stations nearby. Unfortunately in the pedestrian area to the right of the Gran Via metro station there seems to be the red light district.

Room: we booked the executive room and I think we probably got the best room in the hotel: on the 8th floor overlooking the Gran Via. The room is pretty small (I expected it to be bigger for an executive!) with ugly PVC flooring but on the plus side the bathroom is very nice with complementary liquid soap and shower & hair gel. The room is overall nicely furnished but the bed is too low and the matrace is only placed on top of it in the middle so there's a big gap betweet the matrace and the wall, which might look fashionable but it's uncomfortable. The view of the room is on Gran Via but they're restoring the building front so there's scaffold right in front of the windows which ruins the view. For our entire stay I have not seen any workers doing any cleaning and painting on the building front.

Breakfast: the usual bread rolls, toast, boiled eggs, hams, sausages, bacon, cheese, pastry, croissant, muffin, three types of cereals, fresh fruits but microwaved scrambled eggs and no salads. Ice cubes for the juices was a nice touch. There's also miso soup with rice which I found unusual.

Free wireless internet: username and password is provided by the reception free of charge upon request. Even though connected to the network with 2-3 lines, the internet doesn't work most of the time. I constantly have to try to re-connect until it starts working but even then it works only for a few minutes.

Lobby: very nice with a bar, comfy couches and two computers connected to the internet (username and password from the reception). I checked in for our return flight on one of them and printed the tickets directly to the printer at the reception at no extra cost.

Staff: they get the job done but it wouldn't hurt if they would be friendlier and most importantly if they would smile a bit.

What I found incredibly disturbing is the cleaning lady cleaning up in the rooms next to us at 8 in the morning! The walls are thin so I could hear her bump into things, speaking loud and vacuum clean like she was right next to me. Of course on a more normal time for cleaning up when the guests are in the city, like at 12 at noon, her cleaning stuff was on the hallway but she was nowhere to be found.

Gym: there's a gym on the 8th floor but we didn't try it.

All in all, I think this is more like a 3* hotel and, if you want good location and you can accept these limitations which I described above (like we did), you'll have a nice stay.

P.S: The tiny elevator is hilarious!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your mixed review following a recent stay with us.

I have certainly taken your comments on board, and I hope that we may be able to welcome you back again in the future for a 100% positive experience.

I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

With my best regards

Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed 1 night at Best Western Arosa, and I wasn't very impressed with the overall quality of this over-starred (4*) hotel. I would give it no more that 3 and half stars. The hotel is centrally located just a few feet away from the metro station Gran Via, and also a couple of minutes walk to the famous Plaza del Sol. The smallest elevator I've seen so far was in this hotel, and I don't think an overweight person would fit in it. Unlike other hotels in Spain, you need to use your credit card to lock and unlock the in-room safety deposit box, which basically defeats the main purpose of storing the valuable items (including the credit card) in the box. The breakfast is overpriced (€14) and it's not worth the money. There are so many cafes around the hotel, where you can have breakfast for a lot cheaper.

On a different note, there is a nice restaurant with friendly waitresses just a few steps down the street from the hotel that serves very delicious Galician food, and you won't regret eating there either lunch or dinner. To not get confused with other restaurants nearby, this Galician restaurant has a large glass door entrance and the table chairs are in white/green color.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Tamuda

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

With my best regards,

switzerland
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Center town is just close by, you can get metro easily, everything what you like to visit is reachable by foot, yes the best way to see town anyhow ! People at reception are quite nice and helpful, we did not have breakfast included in arrangement but could get it at hotel without problem, there was a special offer when we went. Breakfast is good : orange juice, coffee or tea or milk, bread, toast, ham, marmelades, honey, butter, eggs, chease, sweets and fruits. Maybe it could be different sweets every day, but of course you can choose everytime something else, one day salty, one day sweet, and one day cereals. Outside the hotel there are many places where you can get some sweets and full breakfast too. Rooms on last floor, japanese floor, are just beautiful. Room big enough, bathroom too, everything is very clean. Sure a nice place !

Room Tip: book room on advance.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!

khalkis
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The people at the recepction hardly ever smiled (especialy the lady seemed to be annoyed that people stayed there and she had to help them).
The rooms were shabby, we had to change rooms because the bathroom of first one smelled very bad, then we were placed in a smokers room without being asked if we had a problem with it, and it smelled bad too but we decided to enjoy our holiday and didn't ask for another one.
The breakfast was ok and the people there, were very friendly.
The area is perfect, we didn't have to use the metro at all, everything was in walking distance.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
I thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

I am sorry your stay didn't meet your expectations. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns and it is my hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future and to offer you our undivided attention.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

With my best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I booked this hotel via Expedia and got a really cheap rate by paying in advance, non-refundable. On arrival I got upgraded to King room which was great. This hotel has been upgraded and decorated fairly recently and is above average for Best Western, 1 min from subway. Location could not be better, right in the middle of shopping area and night life. One of the hotel lifts is a small triangle and the hotel believes it may be the oddest shaped lift in the world. Free wifi throughout the hotel, though not very reliable, it's free. Reception staff a bit grumpy and never smile, but the room maids do. The buffet breakfast is a little pricey but plenty Starbucks etc nearby if you want to save money. But definitely I'll stay at this hotel again, attractive, clean, great location and unbeatable value for money

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
I sincerely thank you for the attention you have shown by giving your opinion regarding your stay at our property.

You maybe sure that with such praises we will always try to better our services and to carry out work with an ever increasing gusto.

Hoping to have the pleasure to meet you on your next visit, I remain with best regards.