“Would return!”
Review of Hotel Arosa

Hotel Arosa
Ranked #245 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and would definitely recommend. The room was clean and comfortable and the hotel is conveniently located on Gran Via and right next to the Metro. Good value for money also. One thing that you can't go past is the elevator - it is the smallest we have ever seen and it is a mission to try and fit to adults with luggage!

Tips - shops, restaurants and cafes don't really open till 10am - so if you plan to venture our earlier make sure you are aware of this!

Room Tip: We had a refurbished room on the 7th Floor.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Hotel: Location is excellent for first time guests. We had booked the executive package and were quite happy with the Japanese themed room(bed is low). No issues at all with staff. We had breakfast but were disappointed that on our last day we missed it since breakfast only starts at 7am unlike other hotels where it starts at 6am. We also tried the hotels gym and it was adequate. Internet in room did not work very well, and we resorted to using the pc's in the breakfast room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank djjaguar
Reviewed 13 July 2011

the smallest pair of elevators i have ever been in. One fits about people in the other three. My companion and i had a room( 6th floor) near the alley , i always heard a person taking out the trash at around 3am , other than that it was quite.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Thank you for your mixed review posted following your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns and it is my hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future and to offer you our undivided attention.

I have certainly taken your comments on board, and I hope that we may be able to welcome you back again in the future for a 100% positive experience.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

With my best regards

Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and don't really have many complaints. It is very centrally located on Gran Via with easy access to all the tourist attractions and was also good value for money. We were lucky to have been allocated a corner room on the 6th floor which was very spacious - with a small sitting area. The drawback was there was no lighting for this area which seemed a bit odd to say the least. It wouldn't have taken alot of imagination to put a standing light in a corner. Also for a four star hotel, the most basic tea/ coffee making facilities were not available in the room which in this day and age is expected even in lower rating hotels. In general, it seemed more like a 3 star than 4 star hotel. The staff were responsive when help needed, but they were not particularly friendly - wouldn't have taken much to smile a little bit more!! We did not have breakfast there as 14 euros did not seem very good value. The lift situation is indeed hilarious (or infuriating? or both?) as referred to by many guests - the tiniest lifts to service such a massive hotel is really beyond reason. However, I have to say we didn't have to wait long most of the time for the lift - perhaps we were lucky. And also as we travelled light, we had no issue with luggage, etc not fitting into the limited space. All in all, a great location which made up for the other faults. The entrance is on the side on Salud rather than on Gran Via. It was a shame with the scaffolding, I am sure it looks alot more attractive without it!

2  Thank doofvfood
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent experience with us .

I note your ratings were positive, and we will endeavor to address the issues you have raised.

I very much regret for all the inconveniences we may cause to you with the scaffolding but, there is need to tell you that the improvement works are a normal, apart from necessary, duty for any Hotel all over the world so that this keeps up to the highest standards.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 5 July 2011

After many city tours throughout Europe as well as Spain (lately Barcelona and Valencia) we choose Madrid and an hotel right in the center with walking distance to all high-lights. Arosa is a very best choice. We booked in advence for a week at a moderate price. The entrance and the reception on the 2nd floor seemed quite odd. Scaffolding all around the building, but people were taking it down. We changed rooms from the 5th floor to the japonese floor, without scaffolding. Reception was very friendly and helpfull. We ended up in a spacious room, all funrnished in japonese way, so the beds were okay, but close to the floor. Bamboo type of vinyl flooring, excellent bathroom.

The breakfast which was included in the price was ok, however the hotel was very busy (gay parade) so you had to wait refilling eg scrambling eggs. The lounge and bar were cosy, free drink and cocktails ok., service very good.

Wifi on the room works excellent, no problems printing our e-tickets in the lounge. A point of criticism is the location of the reception and the 1 1/2 elevator for a think 160 rooms. As architect I know something about capacity calculations on elevators. I never have seen this nor designed this my live. Looking to the emergency plan I saw two extra lifts in the other emergency stairwell. I am curious how the future wil look like in Arosa.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Let me start by thanking you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create and enjoyable experience for each of our Guest.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Location: this is the best part of this hotel. The entrance to the hotel is on a side street to Gran Via, the most famous street in town with lots of stores, coffee shops and restaurants. You can walk from here to most of the sights and there are several metro and bus stations nearby. Unfortunately in the pedestrian area to the right of the Gran Via metro station there seems to be the red light district.

Room: we booked the executive room and I think we probably got the best room in the hotel: on the 8th floor overlooking the Gran Via. The room is pretty small (I expected it to be bigger for an executive!) with ugly PVC flooring but on the plus side the bathroom is very nice with complementary liquid soap and shower & hair gel. The room is overall nicely furnished but the bed is too low and the matrace is only placed on top of it in the middle so there's a big gap betweet the matrace and the wall, which might look fashionable but it's uncomfortable. The view of the room is on Gran Via but they're restoring the building front so there's scaffold right in front of the windows which ruins the view. For our entire stay I have not seen any workers doing any cleaning and painting on the building front.

Breakfast: the usual bread rolls, toast, boiled eggs, hams, sausages, bacon, cheese, pastry, croissant, muffin, three types of cereals, fresh fruits but microwaved scrambled eggs and no salads. Ice cubes for the juices was a nice touch. There's also miso soup with rice which I found unusual.

Free wireless internet: username and password is provided by the reception free of charge upon request. Even though connected to the network with 2-3 lines, the internet doesn't work most of the time. I constantly have to try to re-connect until it starts working but even then it works only for a few minutes.

Lobby: very nice with a bar, comfy couches and two computers connected to the internet (username and password from the reception). I checked in for our return flight on one of them and printed the tickets directly to the printer at the reception at no extra cost.

Staff: they get the job done but it wouldn't hurt if they would be friendlier and most importantly if they would smile a bit.

What I found incredibly disturbing is the cleaning lady cleaning up in the rooms next to us at 8 in the morning! The walls are thin so I could hear her bump into things, speaking loud and vacuum clean like she was right next to me. Of course on a more normal time for cleaning up when the guests are in the city, like at 12 at noon, her cleaning stuff was on the hallway but she was nowhere to be found.

Gym: there's a gym on the 8th floor but we didn't try it.

All in all, I think this is more like a 3* hotel and, if you want good location and you can accept these limitations which I described above (like we did), you'll have a nice stay.

P.S: The tiny elevator is hilarious!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your mixed review following a recent stay with us.

I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

With my best regards

Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed 1 night at Best Western Arosa, and I wasn't very impressed with the overall quality of this over-starred (4*) hotel. I would give it no more that 3 and half stars. The hotel is centrally located just a few feet away from the metro station Gran Via, and also a couple of minutes walk to the famous Plaza del Sol. The smallest elevator I've seen so far was in this hotel, and I don't think an overweight person would fit in it. Unlike other hotels in Spain, you need to use your credit card to lock and unlock the in-room safety deposit box, which basically defeats the main purpose of storing the valuable items (including the credit card) in the box. The breakfast is overpriced (€14) and it's not worth the money. There are so many cafes around the hotel, where you can have breakfast for a lot cheaper.

On a different note, there is a nice restaurant with friendly waitresses just a few steps down the street from the hotel that serves very delicious Galician food, and you won't regret eating there either lunch or dinner. To not get confused with other restaurants nearby, this Galician restaurant has a large glass door entrance and the table chairs are in white/green color.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Tamuda

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

With my best regards,