“Don't call Persal a hostel.”
Review of Hotel Persal

Hotel Persal
Ranked #122 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Armonk, New York
“Don't call Persal a hostel.”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A hostal, not a hostel--Persal is a terrific pension located in one of my favorite neighborhoods. It's central to so many attractions for art, culture, food and nightlife. Surprisingly, the rooms were NOT noisy, even tho it's in such a hot area off the Plaza Santa Ana. I did have an interior room. The rooms are spartan but the common areas are terrific... the lobby and dining room are good places to plan your day, or meet up with friends. I was traveling alone and then w/ my teenage daughters, and we enjoyed it and felt as safe as we would in any city.

Room Tip: Our interior rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jskantor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Absolute wonderful location and very friendly staff.. and the price was right- a great deal! Very nice complimentary breakfast. Hotel is very clean and modern- yes i agree with other reviewers. The hotel is "hip". Rooms are somewhat sparse but had all essentials and was extremely clean. Would highly recommend stay for anyone wanting a great experience at a reasonable price. I will be returning. This place would be rated much higher on various sites if it had more amenities but it's a true gem.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quieter but we prefer a room on the street with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David P
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Found this via a friend, Great location, wonderfully kind and friendly staff, great value! Complimentary breakfast was just right - breads, juices, coffee, tea, cheese and ham, a little fruit. Very "hip" and clean decor. Very sparse rooms (but that's all I needed), no elevator (which was a but of a problem), and warm rooms (all of Madrid was HOT so this wasn't too big of a deal). If you need a safe, clean, basic room in a great location - this is your place!

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I've stayed in this hotel a few times now and love it! It's in the heart of Madrid, is close to nightlife, and is very clean. Its rooms even have their own bathrooms! I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice home base during their stay in Madrid. Watch out for Cafetería Marazul next store, though (not associated with Persal in any way). I went there for a coffee, paid (plus tip!), and left. I was then chased down and accused of dining and dashing. The waiters were very rude and swore at me in Spanish, calling me a liar among other things. After checking my wallet and counting my money, I was sure that I had paid. I could understand if there had just been a misunderstanding and they were polite to me about it, but their salty language prompted me to invite a police officer over to help settle the dispute. This prompted them to check their register—and realize that I had paid. Their apology was lackluster. I wish that I could fully express my disdain for the waiters of Marazul, but I suppose that, for Trip Advisor, I'll reign myself in. In short, yay Hostal Persal, boo horrible, unassociated Cafetería Marazul.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank bendiego
phoenix
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Great location and friendly staff. We have stayed here several times and have had a positive experience every time. The cafe next door, however, tried to charge us for our coffees twice. I'd recommend getting coffee elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank punkyPhoenix
Nanjing, China
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Basic but clean rooms with free wifi. Superb location for seeing the sights of Madrid. Very friendly and helpful staff. Huge variety of bars, cafes and restaurants nearby. I had an internal room which meant it was quiet at night but I did not get natural light.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside window.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

You can walk nearly everywhere you want to go from here...plaza mayor, plaza del sol, el Prado...all a short walk away. They have some lovely little restaurants just in front of the hotel too. We had a room with windows facing an inside patio which provided only a little light in our small room. Luckily, we spent most of our days and nights enjoying the sunshine, sights and sounds of the city on foot! Treat yourself to a late night evening of tapas and sangria in one of the many plazas nearby, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013