Hostal la Macarena
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsplaza mayorgreat locationexcellent tapassan miguelroom was comfortable and cleansmall roombars and restaurantsstay there againyour doorsteppeople watchinglight sleeperwalking distancecoffee machinesingle roomreception deskshort staybalcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Cute cozy room near plaza mayor. Great location for sightseeing by foot. Across from Belgian bar and flamingo venue. Hotel delivers cool cervaza to my room for little more than I'd pay in a shop which I drink while people watching and journaling from my balcony!

Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Katie B
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel was a very nice value for the location; you can be in the center of Plaza Mayor in 2 minutes.. It was hard to find though, especially since we had a car. We drove past it twice before figuring it out. It does not have a formal entrance, the hotel sign was not obvious for us, and the check-in desk is on the second floor. The street is one way with no place to pull over, except for another 100 feet down the street. The first room that we were going to stay in was quite small, but the desk clerk managed to upgrade us to a very nice room on the upper floor with more space and a small balcony overlooking the street. The place was clean, but not updated at all. The wifi was so-so, but our room was quiet. Although, when we opened the balcony windows, I felt like I was on Bourbon Street with all the action down below; it was fun.

Room Tip: You should ask for one of the rooms with a balcony and a view. They have small rooms and nice size rooms, and the difference can be huge.
1  Thank Jeffrey A
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed at Hostal La Macarena for 2 nights in october 2013.

The rooms are very small but very clean. The bathroom is also very clean.
Unfortunately we had a room without balcony - so if you can choose, take a room with view to the street and balcony, although it is noisier.

The staff was very friendly and you have many restaurants and bars, as well as the mercado de San Miguel right around the corner!

The location really is lovely!

I would recommend this Hostel for people with a small budget, but still like clean rooms.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed at de Hostal la Macarena 2 nights in october.
The room was very small but clean, and we had a very clean bathroom too.
Unfortunately we got a room without view. So if you can get a room with view - I would recommend that, eventough the rooms are noisier.

The staff was friendly.

The hotel is located very central - right at the Mercado de San Miguel and the Plaza Mayor!
Many good restaurants, bars and shopping streets are right around the corner.

The Museo del Prado is a bit away - but if you like a half hour walk - it is very beautiful to walk from the hotel to the museum.

I definetly would recommend this hostal for young travellers, with low budget.

1  Thank Sabrina M
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for about a week in August of 2013, and we have nothing but glowing reviews to give this hostal and its staff.

Considering how cheap this place is, we had an excellent room. We stayed in room 204 and while it was small, it suited our needs just fine. It had a really cute balcony with French doors and was very cozy and quite comfortable. The view of the street from our balcony was so fun, it was great to watch all of the nightlife go by as we got ready to go out. There was a tree in front of our balcony, which was nice because we could keep the doors open but still have privacy, and at the same time still see the street views if we wanted to. Warning: since most of the rooms are on the street, there will be some noise at night, but I noticed that if we kept the doors closed and pulled the curtains though, the noise wasn't bothersome. We peeked into some of the other rooms and our room was definitely a bit bigger and nicer, so I can't speak for any room other than 204, but we were very happy with the room. We always came back to a very clean and tidy room as well.

The staff at La Macarena are incredible as well. Whenever we asked for recommendations on restaurants or places to go, they went beyond our expectations and gave us excellent advice all-around. This saved us a lot of time and money, especially when it came to day trips that we took and how to get to those locations. We felt very safe because there is always someone at the front desk, and they keep the keys at the desk when you leave. You have to pick it up from them when you get back, and they remembered us and our room number every time. All of them are amazing and we became very friendly with them, but Luciano was especially helpful. He arranged for a cheap shuttle to take us to the airport when we left Madrid, and we would not have been able to get that service at that price if he hadn't pushed for it. Muchos gracias, Luciano!

Besides the great value and service provided here, the location is excellent as well. It's in the very center of Madrid, right next to the Plaza Mayor and a short walk from the Sol station and plaza. I highly recommend visiting the nearby Mercado, just up the street; it's such a fun food venue with a million different options, and the concept is very cool.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this place to my friends and family visiting Madrid. We had an excellent experience, and if we are ever in Madrid again, this is the only place where we would stay. Seriously, considering what you are paying (very inexpensive!), you get a fabulous value.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple