“This restaurant is a treat: excellent service and wonderful imaginately created food”
Review of Treze

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio de Salamanca
Colchester, UK
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed at the Mercure, off Plaza Espana. I simply let the Trip Advisor app on my iPad find my location and asked for local restaurants. I reviewed the TA reviews and opted for Treze. I was not disappointed; although I wondered whether the restaurant would attract any other diners when I arrived just before 9pm. As foreign visitors will know, madrileños and madrileñas famously dine late. Even 9pm is early! On the advice of the previous reviewer, I opted for the (fixed) menu desgustacion @ €40, washed down with a couple of glasses of reserva red and (separately) a bottle of water. In all, there were 6 (small) courses (I think), may be 7. All were imaginatively created and were delicious. Do not worry about the size. It's enough, even for those with large appetites. I started with gratis very light pasta chips infused with a mild curry flavour, wholemeal bread roll and oil, followed by tuna foie with tiny oranges, sauce, olive oil ice cream, and an assortment of very thin toasted bread, followed with a really wonderful kind of tomato capacho with ice cream. The fish dish was finely chopped tuna and a kind of non-spicy salsa. That was followed by "Iberian" strips of steak with tiny blocks of potatoes all topped off with a splendid lemon sauce with tiny, fresh and soft meringues. Service delivered by a friendly, helpful waiter (who spoke some English) was excellent, as was the table setting, and restaurant decor and ambience. The bill came in at €49.

BTW, by 9.25pm, some Treze regulars rolled up, which made me feel less lonely. I'm surprised others have not discovered this gem. Despite the dire economic straits Spain is experiencing, plenty of madrileños and madrileñas are dining out on a Saturday evening.

Will I return? Absolutely. If I have one tiny criticism, it was that the steak seemed slightly too oily. It would have been better grilled or BBQ'd.

• Visited July 2012

Madrid, Spain
“Delicious, Top quality, reasonable prices,.. perfect”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We saw this restaurant in a food critic site and it was quite recommended but we did not expect this level of delicious food.
We went for a tasting menu composed of two entrées, one fish, one meat, dessert: 40 Euro + drinks (2.5 euro/beer) + 2.5 service (bread and apero)
The appetizer was a purée mousse with truffle oil served in a small glass, very good flavour and nice texture.
It does not work as a normal tasting menu where everything is fixed and you cannot change anything. In here you actually pick the entrées from the menu and the fish and the meat, the only limitation is that the whole tables needs to eat the same thing.
We had a duch mis-cuit with some sauces. Very good quality and nice taste served in gorgeous black dishes.
Also as entrée, two artichokes with sweet sauce around and grilled. This was awesome, the smell and the flavour were truly out of this world (ok, I am an artichoke fan but these were awesome)
The fish was cod on a bed of garlic soup, very nicely presented and quite good and salty. Yummy.
The meat was ox. Very tender, cooked as requested and with a potato millefeuille with Iberian hams inside and padron peppers. Just as good as we thought it would be.
The dessert were cinnamon icecream and rice pudding mousse. Both very good and with just the right size.
Chocolate truffles came with the bill.
Service 9 out of 10.
I have NOTHING to say but... round of applause please!
To be recommended 100%