“Amazing tapas. Playfully presented!”
Review of La Gabinoteca

La Gabinoteca
Ranked #333 of 10,773 Restaurants in Madrid
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
honolulu
“Amazing tapas. Playfully presented!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Saw Gabinoteca in a Travel Channel segment on Madrid & put it on the 'must go' list. Glad I did!! Wow! Too bad we went on our last day in Madrid! I would love to try some of the other dishes! We had the Dim Sum de arroz a la Cubana, Carne Roja Gallega, Alcochofas Fritas (great, but a bit salty), Croquettas (ok, these were just ok), Hamburguesa de Tartare and the Huevo, Patatas Y Trufa (stellar! waiter said they are famous for this dish). Each dish was a treat! And the presentation--such playful, quirky presentations--what a kick! It was one of the best meals we had in Madrid! Note: Gabinoteca is a bit off the beaten path & on the bottom/side section of a residential condo, but we were able to find it by walking around the right side of the condo were the commercial spaces were located.

Evanston, Illinois, United States
“So much fun”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This place is off the beaten path, but is really a highlight of Madrid. It's a cool vibe there with lots of young hip locals. The staff is extraordinarily helpful and the food is top notch. I loved it here and wish I had one in my town!!

Tucson, Arizona
“A new favorite in Madrid”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I've been to Madrid for many times over the last 25 years, and once in a while, I find a hidden gem.

A Wednesday 10:30 pm in Madrid, and many restaurants are empty... except la Gabinoteca, which has a (reasonable) waiting list. It's a bit hard to find due to signage, but the TripAdvisor map is correct. It 's on a mini-plaza with a mini-park, but it isn't facing the street. I walked by it twice before I discovered it.

Great food. I ordered the Foie Gras (by mistake due to my own Spanish error... I then realized that I hate foie gras).. but it was wonderful with a side of apricot preserves to spread over the foie gras on lightly toasted bread. I also enjoyed an incredible artichoke dish. The service was very helpful.

A couple tips for your first visit: If you are only 2-3 people, you might be able to squeeze in at the bar. The service was great. Ask your server for recommendations when you order... and don't be shy to ask, "How do I eat this?" It's important that you combine the right toppings, bread, etc. in the right order to maximize the taste.

Finally, great value for money. Dining alone with 2 courses, 2 beers, a dessert, and an aperitif, the total was 43 euro, or about $50.

Combine that with a convenient location and a bustling crowd of Madrid locals, and it was a great experience.

3 Thank nrhays
Pleasant Hill, California
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

What a great treat. We have been in Spain one month and by far this is our favorite. I read reviews and ordered fried artichokes with jamon ... No one mentioned the incredible sauce!!! I also read about the specialty of EL POTITO... Don't ask just get it. The ravioli was very rich (and good) and the red meat Gallega was excellent. We will be back more than once more. Get there early to ensure seating.

1 Thank Kkoleary
Seattle, USA
“Great fun, good food and great service”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

For our final night in Madrid we decided to find a more contemporary tapas restaurant. This was recommended to us by our hotel. GREAT RECOMMENDATION. It was a 2 block walk from the Hesperia Madrid Hotel. We had to wait until the 8:30 pm opening for tapas but it was worth it. We were quickly seated at the table or our choice - upstairs in a quiet wall booth and given our electronic beeper for service and the check. Our waiter helped translate the all Spanish menu and suggest tapas that met our criteria. The real tapa winners were the artichoke hearts with Iberian ham, Russian salad and the brownie dessert. The artichokes were so good we ordered a second helping. The brownie dessert included a great brownie place a tray containing the ice cream, the brown sugar, the strawberries, strawberry syrup and the mango whipping cream that we were shown how to apply via the pressure creamer. You must try the brownie if you have a sweet tooth. We can see why the place was packed, mostly with young folks which made us oldies feel great.

• Visited October 2013