“Fab local spot”

Ranked #709 of 12,166 Restaurants in Madrid
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Having read earlier TA reviews about the menu being all in Spanish, I went through the menu items on their website (which helpfully includes pictures of the dishes) and wrote out the translations to take with us. However, on arrival at the restaurant, we were given a copy of the menu in English and 2 of our 3 servers spoke very good English!

Everything on the menu sounded so good that we had difficulty restraining ourselves from over ordering. Thumbs up for the fried artichokes and the signature dish of El Potito which have both been mentioned multiple times by other TA reviewers. We also had the chicken wings, hot dog and dim sum - all of which were beautifully presented, but were less memorable taste wise (though I did enjoy the sauce that came with the chicken wings).

Great vibe in the restaurant - we went on a Saturday night and, knowing that there are no reservations available in the evening, turned up at 20.30. A few outside tables and a couple of inside ones were occupied by people having drinks (the friendly lady at the bar told us that food would be available from 21.00), so we had plenty of time to choose where we wanted to sit (on the upper level) and browse the menu. Other diners started arriving thick and fast from 21.00 and by 21.30, the whole restaurant was full! Looked like a young, mainly local crowd - great atmosphere!

The staff were great - smiling, friendly and with an uncanny instinct for appearing at our table just as we were thinking of ordering another round of dishes so we didn't make as much use of our table buzzer as expected. The buzzer is a novelty but I don't think it works very well once the restaurant is full - but it was easy enough to catch their attention to bring the bill.

Thanks to TA reviews, we weren't worried when we turned off the main road down what looked like a residential street. You will see a little plaza with some tables outside - there was at least one other restaurant there. We liked that it was off the beaten tourist path. Would definitely recommend to others and return when next in Madrid.

Please take a moment to rate if you found this review useful :)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I went with a friend to La Gabinoteco while in Madrid for a weekend after reading about it in a magazine. I am so glad we went!! We arrived and the place was absolutely pumping with young trendy locals ready for a night out on the town. The interior is really chic, lots of metal and industrial looking. We were told an hour and a half wait (this was at 11pm on a Saturday night) which was a little off putting but we decided to wait anyway. We squeezed into the bar area and ordered drinks and some starters to tide us over. The girl on the bar was really nice and spoke a English so could explain everything to us (you can ask for an English menu). The tapas we ordered were excellent, really interesting modern food and yummy. My favourite was the foie gras with marmalade, rich and delicious. The house special, the bottle which is basically potato egg and truffle, I loved but my friend not so much. Finally a table became available and after having to ask about it we were seated and kept ordering. We had to keep calling our waiter over and he initially was pretty disinterested, which was annoying but after a few wines kind of just became humorous. Then not sure what changed but his attitude really picked up and he became much more attentive. The main manager however was lovely and kept coming over to check on us and see if we needed help with deciphering the menu. Now to the food, Croquettes were not so great kind of mushy, the shrimp pancake was quite nice. Fish tartar was smooth and really nicely seasoned, I would recommend ordering it. Duck tacos were really really good, we kept ordering those a few times. Wine is cheap about 2-3 euros a glass. I started off with the house rose which was dry and spicy, but moved onto white - 15 euro for your house wine which was nice and perfectly drinkable. Our bill was about 90 euros for (a lot of alcohol) lots of food, and we had dessert and an after dinner drink, which compared to other places I had eaten in Madrid was really great value. A real find, and a definite place to visit for really delicious different tapas, with a buzzing vibe. I think during summer would be even better as you could sit in the courtyard out the front.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It's a very interesting place to know and it has a very cozy environment! Try the salad, it's a served in a very courious way and try the mini alfredo, it's a must. Good wine selection with a funny selection. :)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Saw Gabinoteca in a Travel Channel segment on Madrid & put it on the 'must go' list. Glad I did!! Wow! Too bad we went on our last day in Madrid! I would love to try some of the other dishes! We had the Dim Sum de arroz a la Cubana, Carne Roja Gallega, Alcochofas Fritas (great, but a bit salty), Croquettas (ok, these were just ok), Hamburguesa de Tartare and the Huevo, Patatas Y Trufa (stellar! waiter said they are famous for this dish). Each dish was a treat! And the presentation--such playful, quirky presentations--what a kick! It was one of the best meals we had in Madrid! Note: Gabinoteca is a bit off the beaten path & on the bottom/side section of a residential condo, but we were able to find it by walking around the right side of the condo were the commercial spaces were located.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This place is off the beaten path, but is really a highlight of Madrid. It's a cool vibe there with lots of young hip locals. The staff is extraordinarily helpful and the food is top notch. I loved it here and wish I had one in my town!!