Catalonia Atocha
Agoda.com
US$324
US$305
1,547 results
All reviewshot tubplaza mayorterrace roomanton martintrain stationsun loungerswithin walking distancehotel is modernstreet viewrain showerbuffet breakfastreina sofiacomfortable bedsbusy streetprado museumshort walkmajor museums
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and had the luck of having their only suite which was very nice with wooden floors, huge bathroom and a huge size. It only faces the street and can sometimes be a little noisy. A part from that service and friendliness was fine. The hotel is located right across the metro station Anton Martin, so you are connected immediately to the whole city. Plaza Santa Ana is only 5 minutes walking. Breakfast is nothing special and in the basement, so no windowns which gives it a strange atmosphere. Food is presented without detailed look & feel, so you may skip the breakfast experience at this place. For the cushions in the room I asked for a flat one as they only had really big and fat ones, but nothing available. A pity - had to sleep with a folded towel under my head;-)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Eva_Maria_10
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

First, I would like to thank you for using your valuable time to write your opinion about Hotel Catalonia Atocha. That said, I regret what happened with the pillow, as clearly we made a mistake. As you have seen, we offer three different kinds of pillow in all the rooms, but in the case of the Junior Suite, you can also choose three different kind of special pillows "a la carte". I believe that one of the new Receptionist hadn't been informed properly about this point and that is why I guess they didn't offer you that service. We are really sorry for it. In case you stayed again in the Junior Suite, you would find the information about this service in a little brouchure placed on the desk. Best regards from Madrid

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Have just spent 3 wonderful days in Madrid staying at the Catalonia atocha...this was our first visit to Madrid and we did a lot of research before we travelled as to which hotel to stay in and all the positive comments on trip advisor about this hotel are 100% true. It's location is perfect for exploring all that Madrid has to offer on foot or on the metro. The rooms are very very comfortable, the shower was fantastic and the roof terrace was a huge bonus and a great way to unwind after a day of sightseeing. The staff where fantastic and made us feel very welcome. We cannot recommend this hotel enough...just book it!! When we come back to Madrid (hopefully soon) we would not stay anywhere else.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen B
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and, of course, thank you very much for your extremely kind review. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Best regards from Madrid.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Catalonia Atocha

I would like to list the pros and cons of this hotel and end with a summary of what we experienced while staying at the Catalonia Atocha.

Pros
1) Housekeeping is friendly and did excellent work
2) Breakfast buffet was good and plentiful
3) Beds were very comfortable
4) Walkable distance from hotel to Prado, numerous squares, good dining options, Puerta Del Sol and Gran Via
5) Close to the Atocha Rail station so easy to get to if coming into Madrid via the AVE.   However, don't walk it as its too far to lug bags and it's steep uphill
6) Able to walk around safely at night.
7) Wonderful bakery next door
8) Great rain shower fixture in bathroom

Cons
1) Hotel decor is very drab. The paneling on the walls is actually wallpaper. I know this because I saw it peeling in one of our 2 rooms.
2) Area surrounding the hotel is "suspect". Another reviewer referenced a sex shop down the street from the hotel. This is actually a strip club (pole dancing and all).  For me from the hotel down toward the train station, it looks like a very undesirable areas even though we were able to walk around safely at night.  However on the street running parallel to Calle de Atocha, it is a nicer area.
3) Bathroom sinks do not drain completely due to their design

Biggest Con and the major reason or the low rating:
Front desk staff and others were not friendly at all. Only the hostesses in the breakfast buffet area and housekeeping were kind enough to greet you with and "Hola"and a smile each time they saw you and recognized you as a guest in the hotel

Summary
I was very disappointed with not only this hotel, but with the hotel chain in general.  Our party of 3 had originally made plans to stay at the Catalonia Las Cortes. These reservations were made a month or so in advance of our trip. Less than 24 hours before we were to check in to the Las Cortes, we received an email saying they were moving us to the Catalonia Atocha due to a reservation malfunction.  Luckily I had my IPhone so that I saw the email immediately when it came in and was able to respond that we would accept the change.   The hotel staff at the U232 in Barcelona was able to help to determine if our entire party was being moved or just 2 of us.  My problem, in addition to the late notice, is the fact we weren't given options. Yes, they provided complimentary breakfast, but help me to understand why when I went to the Las Cortes website on the day we received the email saying we wouldn't have any rooms, I found the same rooms we had reservations for still available for the same days we requested,  albeit at a much higher rate.

Now for the staff at this hotel. This was not our first trip to Europe.  We have travelled to many other countries.  We have never ever been ignored like we were during our entire stay at this hotel.  Me, personally, I have never been a guest in a hotel in any country where the front desk staff didn't greet you upon entry into their hotel.  Not one time did we get an "Hola" upon returning to this hotel. It is not a "Spain thing", as we were in Barcelona for 4 days and 3 nights and the front desk always offered a "Good Day" or "Hello" upon entering.  The lack of basic customer service would not have been a problem except we noticed how others were being greeted upon entry or exiting the hotel.  At one point the staff member who was helping me, took the time to wave and smile at another guest that was leaving while she should have been helping me.  We were never afforded such a courtesy.  Also note, we did not complain or make any sort of a scene during these very obvious slights. My husband and I were not even asked how we enjoyed our stay upon checkout. So what does that tell you?

Another instance, my husband and I were one of the first to arrive for breakfast one morning. We were greeted  by a very friendly hostess (by the way, all of the hostesses were friendly),  my husband and I were standing at the omelet station when another staffer (he appeared to be a member of management as he was dressed quite nicely in a suit) spoke to the young lady preparing our omelet, but did not utter "Good Day" or "Hello" or anything to us.  Ignored again.

In addition, I went to the front desk to ask the young lady about the different modes of transportation to the airport.  She told me about the taxi, and the shuttle that we could walk back to Atocha station and for 5€ we could catch the shuttle to the airport from there.  I told her,  "No, there is another option where they pick you up and the hotel".  She said she didn't know of another.  I told her OK and went to my room where I pulled out my IPad and found the name of the company.  I took the IPad back to the desk and showed her and she said, "Yes, I know of this company". She then proceeded to go to her closet where they keep tourist information and pulled out the standup board that had all the information about this particular shuttle company.  I had her to call the company and she was able to obtain a reservation for my party of three.
Speaking of transportation, not one time did anyone go over the different modes of transportation in the city. No explanation of the subway system (there was a stop a block away) or the bus system upon our arrival at the hotel.

Please understand, there was no language barrier at this hotel.  I am not a rude American who goes abroad bringing my customs trying to force them on others.  I greet all in their language and I try with my poor attempts at speaking the language because it's the right thing to do.

This hotel did not do what was right by us nor did it meet my expectations for the good customer service others seemed to have received while staying there.  We were not treated warmly (except when we went to the front desk to ask a question and some of the front desk staffers acted as if we were an imposition) and we were ignored in favor of other guests.

Finally, This hotel may be perfect for others.  However, I cannot recommend this hotel due to its lack of concern for us as customers. Had the front desk had been more customer focused, the hotel would have warranted a better rating.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank gvldiva

Dear Madam:
My deepest apologies that you felt our reception and front desk staff were not friendly and helpful. I can promise you that they normally are very welcoming. (and I say this from a first-hand perspective, as my office is located just off the reception area) At Catalonia Hotels, we believe that the best stay comes with good service, and this includes always treating our guests with kindness and respect. In any case, I warmly thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive and detailed review. Please do not doubt that we will carefully analyze each and every point discussed. In regard to your treatment by the reception staff, we will take this as a warning. It is true that sometimes, in our every day work and routines, we forget things that are fundamental. And one of these things is that we must never lose our sense of hospitality and kindness. Warmest Regards.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

I stayed here last time I was in Madrid and it really is a wonderful hotel. Clean, with friendly and helpful staff, and a great rooftop cold tub to cool you down in those hot Madrid summers. The excellent is also excellent, within 10 minutes walk of Atoche train station, the Prado and Sol.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
cataloniaatocha, Director General at Catalonia Atocha, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your opinions about the hotel and share them with other web surfers who visit TripAdvisor web site. Do not hesitate it helps us a lot. On the other hand, we are very happy to see that you had such a good stay in our hotel. It will be a pleasure to have you again soon in our hotel. Best regards.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here on vacation and were very impressed. It was new, clean and had very helpful staff. We arrived at 8:30 am and were pleased to find they offer early checkin on an as-available basis for 10 euro. I have paid half the price of a room on a regular basis for business travel and found this very reasonable. The room was nice and very new. Although breakfast was not included, they had a special offer for 10 euro when we were there (usually 16 euro). We had breakfast both days and it was great. I would have paid the $16 euro for what we got.

We had coffee and desert in the coffee shop downstairs and found it very nice also. Overall, great place in a wonderful location, that was at a very reasonable price. Our experience in Madrid was great and this was part of it.

Room Tip: They have a nice patio on the 7th floor. Great place for a drink or to bask in the sun. Second tip, there is a wonderful market on the 2nd floor of the building across the street. Many locals shop at it and our tour guide showed us, but on the last day. If you want stuff for a picnic, or just a great experience, you should go there.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you Sir for your kind compliments, especially for those referring to our buffet breakfast. We are doing our best to improve the variety and quality of the food and, of course, the quality of the service. And it is nice to see that our guests appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you soon in the hotel. Best regards from Madrid.