“Definitely recommend it!”

Ranked #163 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Antwerp, Belgium
“Definitely recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had a great stay at this hotel. The building was very nice, some of the reviews here say it "needs updating" but I loved the classic style of it. Also the hall always smelled like it had just been cleaned. Staff was quite friendly and everything was very clean.

GETTING THERE:
We took the pink Metro line 8 at the airport* to the last stop (Nuevos Ministerios) and then got on the blue line 10 there and got off at stop Plaza d'España. From there it was just a short walk to the hotel. At Plaza d'Espana you could take the yellow line 3 and blue line 10, and also line 2 but for that you had to walk quite a way underground.
*Look out because there are two stops at the airport: there's "Aeropuerto T1-T2-T3", which is where you have to get on/off if you come from that part of the airport (I think those are for national flights), but you get on/off at "Aeropuerto T4" if you come from T4 (we came from Belgium and that was our stop, so I guess that's just international flights). "Aeropuerto T4" is line 8's final stop, so if you have to get off there, that's very easy, you just stay on the Metro until the last stop.
Also, when you go back from the hotel to the airport, you can't just get out of the Metro and in the airport; you have to buy a new ticket at the vending machines upstairs from the Metro at the airport. It's because they ask a 1 euro fee per person if you want to go to the airport with the Metro.

FOOD:
We had breakfast at the hotel. This was a nice buffet, not extremely large but good. We asked them where we could go have dinner and they told us we could to to Càscaras, which was very close to the hotel. We had dinner there on the last evening and it was great, so that was a really good tip. You could also have food brought up to your room, like a hamburger, pizza or pasta (there was a "menu" on the table in our room). I never did this so I don't know if it's good, but the price was OK so I guess it's worth a try :)

ROOM:
As I said before, it was clean and nice. We got shampoo/conditioner and shower/bath gel in the bathroom and there were clean towels every day (even though this wasn't necessary) and a hairdryer in the bathroom. There were no shower caps, so bring your own if you need one. In the bedroom there was a small table and a comfy chair, a desk with chair, and a TV. Our beds were comfortable and extra cushions and blankets were in the closet. Our closet was in the hallway and had a safe and a minibar. Everything in the minibar costs 3,5 euros, which I thought was quite expensive, so it's cheaper to go to the lobby and buy food or drinks at the vending machine since it's much cheaper there.

SURROUNDINGS:
The hotel is close to the Plaza d'España and you can take a walk to the Palazo Real from there.

DOWNSIDE:
The only thing I didn't like was that the room was very hot when we just arrived, it felt like the heating was on but it wasn't. But that got better when we turned the "heating" on and put it on 10°, when the colder air started blowing into our room it got a lot more agreeable.

Overal, great hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Comfortable beds, Rooms need updating.. TVs hardly work.
Front desk staff acts like they don't want to be bothered.
No bell staff to bring up bags.
I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

PRO: Great location near main roads, metro, Temple of Debod (great spot for sunset), and restaurants. Bed sheets were so comfy.

CONS: Wifi is free, although, you need to access a username and pw from the front desk which expires within three days.. I was using it on my iPhone which was soo irritating bc it kept logging me off so I kept re-entering it every time I used it. Very limited in TV channels which was a downer. AC didn't work. We had a balcony but never used it bc it was just a view of the dirty street.

• Stayed April 2012
Philly Metro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I used this hotel after not being able to book the Husa Princessa a few blocks away. We were very pleased with our choice, as hotels are meant to be clean, provide a great nights sleep and safe....nothing more. The property is older, but the check in was efficient and the property was clean. The room and bed were large and comfortable. Internet access was complimentary. It also had a very pleasant fragrance that had somewhat of a relaxing effect. The guys at the front desk made several reservations for us. We were able to get a table at Botin (roasted suckling pig was awesome). There was a fantastic little restaurant right next door that was awesome as well....I cannot remember the name. There is also a place two blocks on the other side of Plaza de Espana off the the first side street that has the best lobster paella. It is a small quaint place on the intersection of Calle de Langanitos and Calle le flor Baja. The best way to explore the city is to buy a two day ticket on the Madrid City Bus Tour.

Room Tip: Interior rooms eliminate the street noise, which in this location is primarily conversations of pede...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PHLTraveler515
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

This hotel was mostly pretty good, although there were one or two negative points. Let's get them out of the way first.

Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment. Although there was a reasonably good choice of hot and cold buffet (with some lovely local ham!), the coffee was a bit of a problem. Coffee came only from a single self-service coffee machine. I was there at the same time as a number of elderly people who were obviously struggling to operate the machine, so I had to wait for quite a while before the machine was available. It didn't even make particularly nice coffee. They really need to either serve you coffee like most hotels do, or at least put in a couple of extra machines. Also, the kiwi fruit in the fruit selection were not ripe. But apart from that, breakfast was fine.

As other contributors have noted, the bar shuts at an unreasonably early time. I came back from dinner at 10 pm expecting to be able to have a beer in the hotel bar, but it was closed.

The internet connection was included in the room rate that I paid, but it looked like it was quite expensive if you didn't have it included in your rate. Do check on this when you book if you want to use the internet.

Apart from that, the hotel was pretty good. It used to be a Sofitel until a couple of years ago. As you probably know, Sofitel is another brand of the Accor group, who also own the Mercure brand, but Sofitels are generally more up-market than Mercures. The overall feel of the hotel was therefore considerably classier than the average Mercure. The bedroom was a good size, and had a very modern and nicely kitted out bathroom. There was a nice big in-room safe with plenty of room for even the least compact laptops.

Oh, one more very small negative point: the choice of channels on the TV was rather limited. I'd normally expect to at least be able to get BBC World or CNN, but I couldn't find either of them or indeed any English language channels.

The reception staff were perfectly helpful, and I didn't have to queue for one at any time.

All in all, the negative points were not too serious, and to stay in what is almost a Sofitel-quality hotel at Mercure prices was a bargain. I'd probably stay there again if I go back to Madrid.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business