“Mercure Madrid - good value with some great qualities”

Mercure Madrid Plaza de Espana
Ranked #172 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Montreal, Canada
“Mercure Madrid - good value with some great qualities”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed in the Mercure Madrid Plaza de Espana for 3 nights recently.
The hotel is old style but maintained quite well.

Old style, how so?
- Old fashioned elevators (2)
- Lobby is a bit on the darker side
- Cool antique looking fixtures in the bathroom

What we liked:
- Room bed: was super comfortable with premium linens and great pillows
- Room sound proofness: Very quiet. Heavy door with innner hallway and second inner door. We never heard anyone.
- Room security: Excellent secure lock on door. The safe was the largest I've ever seen and I could fit my laptop in it easily.
- Cleanliness: Very clean
- Heating / AirCon / Water temp and pressure: All good
- Breakfast: Excellent variety of food choices including fresh cut fruit, yoghurts, whole wheat bread, capuccinos. Best part, staff kept restocking the food....even asking us if we wanted anything else at 11am when the breakfast ends.
- Location: excellent

To improve:
- Breakfast: oddly they charge extra (2 Euro) for eggs - suggest they could include eggs in the price, as the baccon and other hot items are included.
- Front desk staff: Sometimes seemed to look a bit surly, but once you engaged them in conversation, they seemed to warm up and then they seemed friendly.
- When a renovation is planned, lighter color choices in the lobby would help.

Conclusion:
- Excellent value while satisfying our most important considerations
1) Excellent sleep quality in a super quiet room
2) Great breakfast

Note: They stored (for free) a considerable amount of our luggage while we hiked the Camino de Santiago.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Finding a decent hotel in Madrid is difficult, and I first came to this hotel when it was a Sofitel and for a very high price in an overcrowded situation. At that point I was rather disappointed, but since it was converted to a Mercure, and I have been able to book it for around 100 euros a night, I am quite pleased, and it is always my first choice for Madrid stays. Beds are very comfortable, rooms decorated in a style which is quite superior to other Mercure hotels, bathroom high class, and service is fast and professional.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Madrid
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I cannot understand why this hotel gets excellent reviews. I am staying here at the moment and to be perfectly honest it is poor. The worst Mercure I have stayed in and I stay at Mercure hotels all over Europe.

The hotel is old, the bathrooms are very small and the bath/shower tiny. There are no coffee or tea facilities in any of the rooms no matter how much you are prepared to pay.

The rooms are much smaller than usual.

There is no restaurant or any means of finding something to eat in the evenings in the hotel.

I cannot wait to leave.

They have a vending machine down in the lobby or go search for a cafe.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank doitnow1
sydney
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I arrived at the hotel late one night. It was an easy metro ride from the airport to the Ventura Rodriguez metro stop and the hotel was under 5 minutes walk away. I was greeted by the receptionist Luiz who checked me in quickly and gave me the key to the room. I settled in to the room and at first glance it seemed pretty bland. The showers have very bad water pressure and the bed and pillows are terribly hard and uncomfortable. I then got ready as I wanted to go out for the evening so I went downstairs as I wanted to ask the receptionist for some directions. No one was at the desk but I looked around and found him sitting and having dinner while watching a football game in the restaurant. You'd think staff wouldn't do this in full view of the guests. Anyway so I got his attention and he came back to the desk. He seemed more interested in getting back to his Real Madrid football game then offering me any help.

I ended up staying for 3 days. The hotel doesn't have room service but they have a menu for some local pizza delivery place. On checkout I encountered the same guy from checkin. I gave him my credit card to pay and he processed the charge. When I checked the receipt I discovered he had processed it in my home currency instead of the local Euro. I pointed it out to him and he said that it automatically does that and it is out of his control. After 5 minutes of arguments he finally decided to refund the original amount and recharge in Euro. Problem is he processed the refund in Euro so basically the last 2 transactions cancelled each other leaving me with the original charge in my home currency. At this stage I gave up arguing.

Planning on visiting Madrid again but won't be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank ms88Sydney
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Although Mercure is a generic hotel brand, this hotel is an exception to the rule.
The hotel was convieniently located between the two Metro stations, Ventura Rodreiguez and Plaza de Espana it is about a five minuite walk from either. The hotel is located in the heart of plaza de espana, filled with local restaurants such as Saaron Tapas, Gino's Italian Restaurant as well as a McDonald's, Burger King and Starbucks. The area itself is pleasant and is located near the Red Bus Tour bus stop -- aimed at tourists.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the receptionists who seemed polite and friendly and showed willingness to help. We had read reviews on here stating that you may be able to get a balcony room -- unfortunately there was only smoking balcony rooms at time of arrival however the staff were able to cater for us, placing us into rooms on the 4th floor which had a connecting door to each room, ideal for families booking two twin/double rooms.
The hotel had a pleasant scent throughout and had period features such as the lifts and old fashioned telephones, the hotel had luxorious thick carpets.
The room was located to the side and was overlooking a block of flats. It also had a shower which had instant hot water and plenty of towels, in addition to a face cloth which had lavender placed on the top. The room had 3 telephones, one in the bathroom, the desk and bedside -- calls to other rooms are free. The room also had an electronic safe and minibar which was €3.50 per item however there is a vending machine in the lobby which is much cheaper (around €1).
The bed in the room was extreemly comfortable and the pillows were duck feather and down. There was also air conditioning and the window opened fully, ensuring the temperature was suitable.
Breakfast -- it is advertised around the hotel that you get 3 croissants and a drink for €2.75 or a larger serving for €5 -- the picture is deceptive and makes the portions look bigger, there is no differention to the menu (eg. You can't swap the coffee for orange juice). The hotel does serve a breakfast however it costs €14 and it is contiental -- this is the only negative point as this price is too high based on choices avaliavble. As mentioned, there are other places which serve breakfast in the vincinity.
The pictures on the website\on here make the rooms seem dated, however the rooms are lovely, they have character to them and are very clean. It's also nice to see a trouser press in a room these days!
The price was very good, costing just £57 per ROOM per night -- excellent value for a capital city!!
For great value, service and attention to detail, book this hotel!!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank HungryScouser
County Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Great Staff on the front desk. The Man who checked me in was very helpful and telephoned another Mercure for me to ask about a Room....A really nice guy. I am thankful to alessandro for the Room he allocated us and I particularly enjoyed the Lounge Express Breakfast as the Croissants were better than those I have in France and the coffee was very good. The Service was excellent-the Lady who works Tuesday Morning was very good. Everything in the Room worked well. I slept well and enjoyed the Balcony. My Room was quiet. The Room was large' clean and nicely decorated. The Hotel is close to McDonalds and Burger King and a stones throw from The Don Quixote and Sancho Panza Statue in the Square. I would not hesitate in staying here again. Thanks again Mercure Plaza de Espana!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family