“Very nice hotel and excellent value”

Leonardo Boutique Hotel Madrid
Ranked #263 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Dublin, Ireland
“Very nice hotel and excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed here in August 2011 as I was visiting some friends in the city. It took me a while to find the hotel, eventhough I lived in Madrid for a while, as it is not right in the middle of Arguelles and it can be a bit misleading with the other NH in Alberto Aguilera.
The subway is within walking distance and also several bus stops.
The area is very secure and with many convenience shops and supermarkets around...there is also a 24 hour shop just down the road from the hotel!
I checked in and the receptionist offered me to buy breakfast in advanced at a special rate which I took.
I have to praise specially the Reception staff who were friendly, professional and the most helpful. They answered graciously my million questions and they helped me greatly during my stay.
Breakfast on the two mornings was great, a nice selection of continental breakfast, with fresh juices, pastries, breads...a good value for money! The breakfast staff was attentive and friendly as well and they recognized me the second day I went down, those little touches make the whole difference from one stay to the other!
The room was very clean, with a great aircon unit and a very comfy bed :). You get complimentary internet (I think is 30 minutes) but past this I think you have to buy a voucher...not that I needed internet during my trip so I did not really care.
I paid €55 per night + € 9 for breakfast everyday. Unbeatable value for this city.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ellefolk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
Tokyo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

After having looked into many hotels in Madrid, we decided to stay at the NH for four nights at the beginning of October. It was a very good (and reasonably priced) choice.

The NH is conveniently located within 5-10 minutes walking distance from the nearest subway/metro station and, as such, approx. 30 minutes 'door-to-door' from many of the city's main attractions. We even took the metro all the way from the airport to the hotel which took us about 40 minutes, including changing lines twice (not recommended if you carry a lot of heavy luggage since changing lines involves quite a lot of stairs/walking within stations).

The hotel and rooms are quite modern, clean, and well maintained. We stayed in one of the standard double rooms on the third floor facing the main street. The room had a nice and comfortable feel to it and featured all the basic amenities you would except from a similar hotel (decent size closet, free safety deposit box, TV, small working desk, etc). The bathroom was also good-sized and clean.

The breakfast buffet on the lobby floor was actually very good and had a good variety of foods and beverages. We didn't expect this at all. Thumbs up!

There's free 30 minutes wifi in the lobby area that works just fine (we used our ipad). You need to get an access code from the front desk in order to use it.

The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful and speaks good English in case your Spanish is a bit rusty.

The area around the hotel seems to be more of a residential area but there's some nice tapas bars and smaller fruit/fish shops along the main street. Try the tapas bar right across the street from the hotel. When we were there, temperatures were still up in the twenties (celsius) and it was nice to spend a couple of hours sitting outside eating tapas and sipping on sangria after a long day touring the city.

In short, we can only recommend the NH and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank TokyoSurferboy
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

In a residential area, not expensive, very clean and with a nice breakfast. Staff is friendly and attentive, and they do speak English. I liked the room, which had a safe, plenty of closet space, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean, towels fresh, toiletries good class. I was there in October, so they had heat available and not a/c, and the others who wrote that the rooms were warm or hot is true. You cannot really turn it completely off. However, the window opens, and brings the temp down, so that it is not unpleasant to sleep. Internet charge is not high for the room, and it is free in the lobby. They will book and cancel tours for you. All in all, I recommend it.

Room Tip: The street is not very noisy, so street view is not bad.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed here with my brother in April having travelled to see the Real Madrid v Spurs Champions League game. We arrived in Madrid about 9am and thought we'd be cheeky and see if our rooms were ready. We didn't expect a positive response but great service from reception and we had our room 15 mins later. Free wifi in the lobby. Good sized room for two 40 somethings. The hotel is in a mainly residential area but only about 5-10 minutes walk to nearest metro station and easy to use the metro, we brought an all day ticket from the airport and used the subway all day. We felt safe all the time and would definitely return. We didn't eat in the hotel and there was no bar but opposite the hotel was a small bar used by locals which was friendly and we sat outside watching the world go by late on the Tuesday night. We did a tour of the Bernabeu stadium which was a dream come true for true football fans.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MikeyBEssex
Cheshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

I stayed at the NH Arguelles for two nights over a weekend in August, during a visit to Madrid.

Arrived at the hotel slightly ahead of the designated check-in time, but were given a room straight away. Rooms are almost of 4* quality, with good furniture and carpeted throughout. Bed is probably one of the highest I've seen (a good meter from floor to covers), but extremely comfortable. Rooms are equipped with a plasma tv with some international channels. There was, however, no wardrobe, only a desk. Our room had functioning aircon (although a bit noisy) and, interestingly, a ceiling-built radio. Bathroom was excellent, with a power-shower.

Our package also included buffet breakfast, which was good although not much variety - just your usual cereal, toast, yoghurt, fruit and cake(s). It was a reasonable start to the day.

The hotel itself was of modern standard. Free wifi was available in the lobby. As far as location goes, the NH Arguelles is set in a student area not too far from the centre of Madrid, although not walkable. There didn't seem to be any buses near the hotel and the nearest metro station is about 5-7 mins walk away. Because that particular line was closed over August, our walk to a different line was a bit longer. As far as parking goes, everywhere around the hotel is residents parking, so unless the hotel provides parking itself, it could cost you a bit.

Finally let me just say that, although there might be a lot of graffiti in the surrounding area, we never had any problems either during the day or at night. In fact, we didn't have any problems or felt fearful at any point during our time in Madrid.

All in all, and for €80 for the two nights for two people, we were pleased with our choice!

PS: For those interested, the hotel had Pizza Hut room service!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2007

This is a very nice hotel - why it has only 2 stars - I can't find a reason. It is absolutely spotless. The rooms are small but very very attractive with all natural wood floors and marble bathrooms.
Cleaner then any top notch hotel in the states. We stayed here for 10 days and were given a top floor room, which may have been an upgrade, I am not sure. The balcony was huge and stretched around the entire top floor, although there were no chairs or tables to sit out there. The railing is not too safe anyway and I do not recommend that top balcony room for kids.

They serve a buffet continental breakfast every morning, other than that no restaurant in the hotel. Although many restaurants in the area and a short walk to the metro to get to anywhere else you want to go. Top notch, attentive service even though no one really spoke English, so it helps to speak Spanish well.

• Liked — Absolutely Spotless
  • Disliked — No restaurant
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family