“Old & Quaint But Wonderful”
Review of Hotel Moderno

Hotel Moderno
Ranked #86 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Location is one of the biggest factors when picking a hotel and Hotel Moderno is perfectly situated off of Puerta del Sol, within steps from Plaza Mayor, numerous restaurants, shopping and the metro station. We had a room with a private terrace overlooking the street that was the highlight of our stay. (Although noise from the street does waft into the room around the clock, as does smoke from nearby smokers.) The rooms are cozy but comfortable and the bathrooms are a bit outdated but nothing to complain about. My only frustration was the lack of outlets in the room (there were only two), which was a struggle when charging electronics. The staff was friendly and helpful and all spoke English. Not only would I recommend Hotel Moderno, I plan to stay there next time I'm in the beautiful city of Madrid.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a terrace!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kelli_nak

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The location is fantastic, I had a room with a terrace and it was wonderful looking down at the Puerto de Sol each day and then at nite enjoying a glass of wine... it really is the place to stay in Madrid.. The room was comfortable.. I just wish we had a fridge! But comfortable bed and the bathroom had a great shower... so that was excellent. We loved our stay here and loved that our day didnt end when we stepped inside our hotel room. I highly recommend the tapas two or three doors down... some of the best we had on our whole trip!

Room Tip: choose a room with a terrace I was so glad I could look down on the plaza and the street performers...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel has a perfect location. It is just off 'la Puerto del Sol.' It has an amazing service and the breakfasts were great.

Due to its location, there are hundreds of restaurants and stores nearby. Also, the metro station nearby is very convenient

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank OdettVS
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here with husband almost 4 years ago but finally got onto trip advisor just now so I thought I must pen down a few words for Moderno! The location is amazing, the rooms have a cozy charm to them and are extremely functional. We had a small balcony overlooking the back alley which was also so charming and pretty. We were due to fly out to Barcelona but our flight got cancelled due to the volcanic ash cloud so we came back to the hotel and they offered us he room at an ever lower rate that what we'd booked online for our original stay, which I found commendable. As we were I'm a crunch situation a lot of other people could've taken advantage of the same but Moderno instead was helpful and fair.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mihikapai
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My fourth visit to Madrid and my third stay at Moderno. Hotel very central for all areas of the City, I love the wide avenues, fountains and the colourful flowers and parks, my visit was leading up to the Easter holiday and it was very busy but as usual enchanting. Visited Prada, Palace and the Cezanne exhibition at the Thyssen Bornemisza Museum.

Hotel arranged a transfer to and from the airport and also booked an escorted coach trip to Aguila and Segovia which was a wonderful experience well worth the cost and extremely well organised.

I am returning to Moderno in July for a further visit, Madrid is definitely my favourite Spanish City. Many thanks to all staff at the Hotel.

Room Tip: On all occasions I have had a good room. I will be returning in July again and this time have opted...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

As far as a place to stay to serve as a launching point to explore Madrid I can't imagine a much better location. It's just off the Puerto Del Sol plaza which is a bustle of activity day and night. If you like street artists they are everywhere and very talented. Metro station nearby is also convenient. There are hundreds of restaurants nearby, and the hotel is also within easy walking distance to an indoor market that has over a dozen food vendors serving up all kinds of delicious fare. Elevators are comically small. It's hard to fit two people and luggage. My room at the hotel was efficient. I had a view of the alley. It was extremely quiet despite the proximity to the constant party going on in the plaza. In order to activate the lights you have to put your key card in a slot next to the door. It took me a moment to figure this out. It's actually a great idea to save energy and to help you remember to bring your room key. More U.S. hotels should adopt this method. Breakfast buffet was exactly the same for three days in a row which got a bit old, but it was enough to fill the tank before getting out of the hotel to explore. You aren't going to stay at this hotel to hang out at the hotel. It's a launching pad to allow you to explore Madrid. From that standpoint it's a good value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2014

For a first time traveller to Madrid, I really loved Hotel Moderno. It is in the center of Puerto del Sol and accessible to anything and everything. The best part of the hotel was the Chello :-) in the front desk. She was really helpful all the time and made sure everyone in our party of 8 were satisfied with our rooms and the service. The hotel rates were also very reasonable considering the location. I would surely recommend this to anyone visiting Madrid and I myself look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: some rooms face the noisy street, so you can choose a room which faces a quieter part of the locatio...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family