“Home away from home”
Review of Hotel Moderno

Hotel Moderno
Ranked #82 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is my favorite hotel in Madrid because of the friendly service, the wonderful location, the excellent breakfast, the ready assistance and the people who have become friends over the years of my visits (employees stay for years which says it is a well managed hotel). I could not ask for a better experience anywhere in the world. I highly recommend this hotel and I will continue to go back time after time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HtlModerno, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Moderno, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a lovely review! All the staff at Hotel Moderno are delighted with your friendly comments and, as a valued customer, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Best regards,

Rosángela Garoz
Quality and Customer Relations Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is a few steps from Puerta del Sol so very centrally located. The hotel was decent, no major setbacks. Staff was helpful and efficient but could smile a little more. The beds were comfortable enough and although on a busy street, the room we got was facing the back so we barely had any noise at night. Didn't have food at the hotel so no comments. The housekeeper came every day and cleaned up so bathroom was in OK. And it was OK because the drain for the shower was quite slow but there was an additional bathtub where you could also shower so it wasn't a serious problem. Not the normal toiletries you would find in a hotel but if you like sponges (shoe polish sponge?) and bags of tissue paper, you're in luck! And of course they have shower gel...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
HtlModerno, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Moderno, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience; we really appreciate your positive comments about our central location and the quietness of the room.

We are sorry to hear that the drain in your shower was a little slow; our maintenance staff has already checked on this.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again at Hotel Moderno.

Kind regards,

Rosángela Garoz
Quality and Customer Relations Department

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was a good hotel in a great location as people have mentioned previously. We paid extra before the trip to have a terrace and so the room was bigger than others, had a lovely bathroom and there were toiletries, robes etc. it was money well spent for the weather was lovely and after walking the city, the galleries etc it was great to come and relax in the sunshine on the terrace. The front desk even provided the corkscrew for our wine! The staff were accommodating, the breakfasts good and the rooms very clean. Next to the breakfast room was a comfortable lounge for guests to use with a TV room next to it.
I don't know why people say the lifts were small as there were two and they worked well enough! The restaurants nearby were good and the free walking tour from just outside the hotel in the square was brilliant to get to know parts of the city quickly. A word of advice would be to use the electric shutters to reduce the noise from revellers and city cleaners in the square. We didn't close them on the first night and paid for it in the night as noise woke us several times, even on the 6th floor, which I think was almost as high as you could be. Friends had a room near the lift which was noisy, we should have heeded advice from a previous reviewer and also the heating fans came on during the night making their room too warm. They didn't make a fuss but I am sure the staff would have sorted it out if they had. Overall a good choice, I wouldn't choose it again possibly as I would like to be in other parts of the city and see different sights but it was a very safe area to be in and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: A terrace was a great extra
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bow021
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Location is one of the biggest factors when picking a hotel and Hotel Moderno is perfectly situated off of Puerta del Sol, within steps from Plaza Mayor, numerous restaurants, shopping and the metro station. We had a room with a private terrace overlooking the street that was the highlight of our stay. (Although noise from the street does waft into the room around the clock, as does smoke from nearby smokers.) The rooms are cozy but comfortable and the bathrooms are a bit outdated but nothing to complain about. My only frustration was the lack of outlets in the room (there were only two), which was a struggle when charging electronics. The staff was friendly and helpful and all spoke English. Not only would I recommend Hotel Moderno, I plan to stay there next time I'm in the beautiful city of Madrid.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a terrace!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kelli_nak
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The location is fantastic, I had a room with a terrace and it was wonderful looking down at the Puerto de Sol each day and then at nite enjoying a glass of wine... it really is the place to stay in Madrid.. The room was comfortable.. I just wish we had a fridge! But comfortable bed and the bathroom had a great shower... so that was excellent. We loved our stay here and loved that our day didnt end when we stepped inside our hotel room. I highly recommend the tapas two or three doors down... some of the best we had on our whole trip!

Room Tip: choose a room with a terrace I was so glad I could look down on the plaza and the street performers...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel has a perfect location. It is just off 'la Puerto del Sol.' It has an amazing service and the breakfasts were great.

Due to its location, there are hundreds of restaurants and stores nearby. Also, the metro station nearby is very convenient

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank OdettVS
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here with husband almost 4 years ago but finally got onto trip advisor just now so I thought I must pen down a few words for Moderno! The location is amazing, the rooms have a cozy charm to them and are extremely functional. We had a small balcony overlooking the back alley which was also so charming and pretty. We were due to fly out to Barcelona but our flight got cancelled due to the volcanic ash cloud so we came back to the hotel and they offered us he room at an ever lower rate that what we'd booked online for our original stay, which I found commendable. As we were I'm a crunch situation a lot of other people could've taken advantage of the same but Moderno instead was helpful and fair.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple