“If you have never left Spain, you might enjoy this pan-Asian Restaurant”
Review of Sudestada

Sudestada
Ranked #1,716 of 11,794 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2012

It's a handsome restaurant with service that tries hard though doesn't quite make it. The food is fair enough though not great and the prices are high. Fried rice crackers were heavy when they can be light and fluffy. Noise bounces off hard-wooden walls and makes hearing conversation, the waiter and anything of else of interest too much of a challenge. Three of us shared 5 dishes and the deep friend broncini was the best. If you have a chance to visit San Francisco and try either Slanted Door or The House, both are better and offer similar fare. If someone else is treating, however, and you're not too demanding, Sudestada provides a nice change from traditional Spanish dining. I don't plan to return anytime soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We've been here twice for long romantic lunches for which this restaurant is perfect. Both times we've chosen the set menu which has been excellent and has consisted of modern Asian food. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

My husband and I have tried to get a reservation here at various points in the last few months. Finally, we succeeded and it was worth the wait! And, I say this even though they had only 2 vegetarian-friendly dishes on the entire menu and, were unable to modify any of the existing meals to make them veggie-friendly. Usually, in my book, that puts a restaurant at the bottom of my list, but even with the difficulty of getting a restaurant and the lack of vegetarian food I still LOVED this place.
The food I tried (albeit only 2 dishes) was exceptionally well-prepared. I had the veggie samosas to start, and they were better than any samosas I've had in Spain. They were delicate, fresh, and packed with interesting but not overwhelming flavors. I then ordered a side of rice (because the rice dish they did have available with just veggies sounded v. boring and expensive (at @20 €) and the waitress confirmed it wasn't particularly flavorful). I asked that they bring some soy sauce or hot sauce so that I could liven it up. Usually when I ask for this, I get a bottle of soy sauce and, if lucky, an ambiguous mixture of some mild chili sauce. However, not here. Not only did they prepare a lovely sweet and sour side sauce, but their hot sauce was actually hot. This is first HOT seasoning I've had since we moved to Spain. And, I love hot food.
My husband meanwhile had a fish dish that he said was in the pantheon of meals he's had since we got here. Also, there was an interesting wine menu, and some fun cocktails. So, all told, I am looking forward to going back, even if just to eat 2 orders of samosas.

The only downside is that it expensive.

1  Thank ln2inSegovia
Reviewed 5 October 2011

With an interesting variety of thai dishes, Sudestada is on the wave of Madrid evenings in the fancy Salamanca District. Nice atmosphere, the sampler with starters and the lamb were excellent.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We both love spicy, authentic asian food, especially Thai. But Madrilenos seem averse to spice here. so when I read about this place in the NY Times, we had to try it. Food is balanced, spicy and flavorful-- the cocktails are expensive but really taste good. We filled up on the chef's selection and tried to walk it off, but at least we weren't gypped on the portions! Its not where tourists go, but if you've had your fill of tapas and have some $$$ left, this place is a great experience.