“Great Hotel, but scutinize your bill....”
Review of Cason del Tormes

Cason del Tormes
Ranked #147 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed in the hotel from 4/8/13-4/4/13 and had a great experience. The room was small, but very comfortable. The hotel was centrally located near the Palace & Plaza De Espana. The metro station was only a few hundred yards away. We really enjoyed the hospitality and the front desk staff was excellent too. Unfortunately when we were checking out we missed a breakfast charge on our bill. When we got to the train station we called the hotel, but they refused to remove the charge. They said that we would have to come back and present the credit card again. We liked the hotel, but were very disappointed that they couldn't remove an errant charge even after we stayed 6 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Eastern side for a quieter location.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Cason del Tormes

Reviewed 15 May 2013

El Cason is located in a seedy part of town. A couple of blocks from Gran Via, but not clean or safe. Directly across the street from the hotel is a large, multi-storied, vacant building that homeless people congregate. The city has tried to evict and close the building but nothing has happened yet. The hotel itself has some worn out 1960's decor and faulty air conditioning in the rooms. The breakfast buffet was sparse and not very appealing.

Room Tip: You will find better accommodations elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank FloridaMG
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The location is central and close the to Metro and a range of shops and Mini Markets. The hotel is VERY clean the staff VERY friendly and helpful. The room was not huge and where the hotel is not modern sound from other guests could be a problem if you are a very light sleeper, HOWEVER if I return one day to Madrid I would consider staying here again. We did not have breakfast here but there are plenty of cafes etc near bye.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I stayed here for a few days while in Madrid on my own. I was waiting in Madrid for my gorgeous, beautiful girlfriend, Tiny, to return to Madrid from Malaga where she was sunning herself and enjoying the seaside with Abu Maria.

The room I chose was a smoking room. It smelled pretty bad, like stale smoke. I never expected that to be fair as normally their is a suitably powerful extractor fan to draw the pungent stench of the tobacco out of the room, but this was the only drawback of my stay there.

I openly admit to abusing the breakfast buffet. It was eat all you can and I am famous as a man who can eat two or three full breakfasts in one sitting. I would arrive early to the buffet, stuff my fat face with Spanish Omlette (it was great but not as nice as the ones Tiny makes) and all manner of cold cuts of ham, cheese, cereals and cakes. I would eat and eat and eat some more, drawing strange looks from the other guests who must have thought I was a greedy, over-indulgent slob. I couldn't help myself, the food was sooooooo good!!

The staff were lovely and in particular the little South American chica who kept refilling the chocolate croissant plate in the breakfast hall as I shoved them in my mouth like nobody's business.

I would definitely stay here again, but not in a smoking room. In future I would just pop out onto the main street and have a fly fag and then go back inside.

Again, the breakfast was amazing and the location of the hotel was excellent, walking distance to Grand Via and that "Sol" place which I really liked.

Room Tip: Avoid the smokers rooms. The smell of stale smoke.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank JF-RMA
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Pro: good location, just 50 meters away from Metro. Hotel staffs are nice. The reception guy is very humourous. I like him. He is the best receptionist at the hotel during my trip. Many resturants and super markets around.
Con: price is a little high but good location you cannot complain to much. the shower pressure is low.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RyanJ217
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel if you are ever staying in Madrid. Good location very close to Plaza de Espana, streets in vicinity a little run down and the view of concrete wall did not impress but apart from that we only have positives to share. Nice, clean and fairly spacious room with a stylish bathroom. Our lights kept tripping out and staff were very obliging and professional in dealing with this particular issue. Breakfast was of a high standard,and there was something for everyone. Ok, it wasn't quiet but remeber you are in a lively city!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
ANTONIO R, Gerente at Cason del Tormes, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear client: We thank you very much for the description of your experience in our
hotel. Your feedback about location, cleanliness, room and treatment is the best
incentive, not only for the management, but also for the hotel staff. Our most important
purpose is making of your stay an unforgettable experience. We hope welcome you
again in your next visit to Madrid. Thank you for choosing Cason del Tormes Hotel.
Sincerely. Antonio Rodriguez. Manager.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

I recommend this hotel with the caution that the street is really unattractive – our window faced several poorly maintained and perhaps on abandoned building. That said, the street did not feel unsafe, and the hotel is just a few short blocks from the Plaza de Espana and the Royal Palace. The rooms are tidy and clean, the beds comfortable and the hotel is well maintained with new upholstery in many of the public places. The staff was really helpful and accommodating, most of our fellow guests were European, and the breakfast was an impressive spread. The only negative was that they used an automatic coffee machine, probably with instant coffee; after two weeks of super strong, wonderful coffee, this was a let-down.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple