“Wonderful stay”
Review of Hotel Atlantico

Hotel Atlantico
Ranked #23 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed here with my fiancé last week for 2 nights and it was the perfect spot to stay in Madrid, right on the big Gran Via street and close to Plaza Mayor and lots of great restaurants. There was a metro station close by that we used a lot as well, very handy. The room was very big and beautifully furnished, very clean. Service was good but slightly impersonal, and the rooftop bar didn't do cocktails, but other than that we loved this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelAtlanticoMadrid, Assistant Director at Hotel Atlantico, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Hello Sidney!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback following your recent stay with us. Whilst I'm pleased to note that we fully met your expectations in terms of room, decoration, cleaning and location I am very sorry to read the inconveniences experienced with the service and the bar. Your feedback is a vital part of our business and it is through your constructive comments that we are able to improve the service we offer guests in our hotel.

We would like to thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention and we do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again on some future occasion.

Faithfully yours,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Atlantico

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in July. Good location on Gran Via (opposite Callao metro). Very busy area and short walk to Sol, Plaza Mayor etc. Avoid the cave like rooms for "solo" travellers (the small "window" faced an internal wall which you could reach out and touch) with an overpowering smell of stale smoke. Eventually I took a room overlooking Gran Via (#412), which was fine for the price. Fairly quiet room despite overlooking the busy street. The hotel offers an unreliable free shuttle bus from the airport (it didn't show up when I arrived) although they did arrange a free taxi for the return journey to make up for this. I'd recommend either taking a taxi from the airport, or almost as quick (and only €5), the airport bus to the city centre (get off at the Cibeles stop then 10 min walk up Gran Via to the hotel).

Room Tip: Avoid the "single" rooms facing the interior of the building.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Dear Coco_183.

Thank you very much for letting us know your inconveniences regarding your stay at the Hotel Atlántico and we appreciated the time you have taken to bring this matter to our attention. Your feedback is a vital part of our business and it is through your constructive comments that we are able to improve the service we offer guests in our hotel.

Always at your service,

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed there in July 2012. My room had a small balcony with a great view of the Gran Via. Nice staff and very clean and very nice room. It only costs about $125.00 night US so, it was a good deal too.
I will stay there again whenI go to Madrid. I really liked that place.

2  Thank MiamiGuy33143

Dear Guest from Miami, Fl.

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your mention about the hotel staff, room, cleaning and location. In addition, we are all very happy that the price was right for you during your stay with us. Congratulations!
We wish you the best.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Overall a pleasant stay, we could not have asked for more as far as room size/amenities. Location was also ideal, very central and within walking distance to most attractions.
The only negatives came on the last day (Sunday morning, 7/29) when my husband asked the young lady with long dark hair at the reception for some aspirin as he had a horrible toothache. I had already asked for aspirin the night before (the pharmacies were closed) and the older woman with glasses was quite helpful and offered me ibuprofen or aspirin of which I only took 2. When my husband went down early next morning before checkout and asked the young lady for more aspirin she told him they had given me the last of it yet I had already seen there was more than one box the night before. Unfortunately I was not present during this conversation and my husband simply walked away.
I also got a dose of rudeness later during checkout when I questioned some phone calls charged to the room. This same receptionist quite rudely asked why I didn't ask if I would be charged for phone calls, even if they were within Spain and not international calls. Luckily the other man who was at the reception was able to speak in a clearer and more decent manner and all was cleared up.
Very unpleasant receptionist who blatantly lied to my husband about not having anymore aspirin while knowing the pharmacies were not open yet (and knowing we would be heading to the airport straight from there). Then later rudely tried to "explain" the fault was mine for not asking whether or not I would be charged for making calls within Spain. 2 separate occasions with same receptionist, and enough to ruin the stay.
Good hotel but avoid this young lady at reception at all costs. Sadly I missed her name.
Also, shuttle bus to airport was not free as implied online when booking.

HotelAtlanticoMadrid, Assistant Director at Hotel Atlantico, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Dear Guest.,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I have already informed to the recepcionist involved in your complaint and to the Front Desk Manager in order to solve this matter and that such incidents do not occur anymore in the future.Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Assistant Director

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed on the 4th floor of Hotel Atlantico in July for 4 nights with my son. I booked early on the internet and got an excellent rate, so for me, the hotel was an excellent value. Although the decor is a little dated, the room was clean - the beds were comfortable - the room was sized perfectly - and the bathroom was amazingly bright. Although on three of the four nights we stayed, there were parades on the Grand Via (which I had no idea about when I booked), the hotel was very quiet. I was shocked at how soundproof it was once I closed all the windows. Our floor had WiFi and it worked pretty good. A few occasions, it was out - but since this was not a business trip, I could live a few minutes without it.

The staff was very pleasant and check in/out was a breeze. By pictures and reviews here, I thought the rooftop terrace would be larger and a good place to hang out but I was surprised to see how small it was and everytime I went up there, it was closed. But no worries, so much to see and do in Madrid.

A great choice if you can get a good rate. Was a surprising oasis of calm on the busy Gran Via

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear MartyGirl.
We would like to thank you very much for your wonderful comments but also for your useful remarks.
We are very happy and proud that you and your son enjoyed your time with us. It is glad to hear you liked the room, the soundproof, wifi and the service our staff provided. I am very sorry if the terraces was not as big as you expected. We have 2 terraces, one of them is open until midnight and the other one from 3.30pm to midnights too. The reason why the terraces are closed early is because as this is a hotel most of the guests come to relax and we do not want to bother these clients.

Looking forward to welcoming you again,
warmest regards

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Atlantico during the first leg of our honeymoon trip. We booked the hotel based on reviews from Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed at all, the only reason I didn't give them a full 5 stars is due to the noise that we experienced from the hotel staff cleaning each morning in the room next to us. We wanted to sleep in past 8 on our stay and the moving of the beds and furniture next door made it hard to do. Also, on one occasion we were relaxing in our room in the afternoon and a maid just opened the door and walked into our room, with the do not disturb sign on the door. Interesting, and reassured our decision to use the safe. Other than that we have no complaints. The room was very clean and gorgeous, the service at the front desk was very helpful, as well as the gentlemen in the bar on the 9th floor. Breakfast is available for around 10 euro a person and is average, but offers anything you could want for a quick breakfast, eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, juice, yoghurt, etc. We were very happy with the location of the hotel, just a few blocks walk to anything you need. If we ever travel to Madrid again, we will definitely stay at Hotel Atlantico.

1  Thank foodieil

Dear foodieil.

First of all thank you to choose the Hotel Atlantico for your honeymoon, is really an honour for us.
Congratulations for the beautiful pictures and thank you for putting on line on TripAdvisor.
We are very pleased to read you enjoyed your room, cleaning, services, bar, breakfast and location and we thank you also for having shared your satisfaction with us and other travelers.
On the other hand I am really very sorry for the incidents occurred during your stay. I have already informed to the Housekeeper about your complaint in order to solve this matter and that such incidents do not occur anymore in the future.

I hope you can give us another chance and we can accommodate you again on your next visit to Madrid. Thanks again for your patience.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I spent eight days in this well run hotel along the Grand Via in the heart of Madrid in July, 2012. We enjoyed the comforts of the room 801 which was very quiet, with a separate entrance, all expected comforts like bathrobes, slippers, safe, minibar, iron and board, Internet is available on 9th floor, 24 hours a day. Room had a super clean, new feeling with a sparkling bathroom and facilities. Hotel is very well located. Directly outside is a metro connection, and ten bus stops run by the entrance. Staff helped book a day tour to Segovia and in general were courteous and helpful. No breakfast. Major supermarket is about 100 meters in lower level of Cortes Ingelies department store. Would definitely return and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on 8th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest from Tel Aviv.
Thank You for choosing Hotel Atlántico and for sharing with other travellers your kind opinion about our facilities, services and location. To convey a genuine feeling of being in a home from home is exactly what we strive for so I'm delighted that you felt we delivered on this for you. Thank you also for your high score included in the survey.
It is very rewarding for us to know that you and your wife have good memories of the eight days you spent in Madrid.
It will be a pleasure to host you again in future.
With best regards