“Utilitarian”
Review of Hotel Gran Atlanta

Hotel Gran Atlanta
Ranked #405 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Wasn't my choice of hotel (booked through a business travel agency at work). Cheap but not especially cheerful. Hotel room was very basic but clean. Single bed was quite uncomfortable with only a very thin pillow. The room was air-conditioned for which I was grateful. There was quite considerable noise later on at
night. The location was however
very convenient.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Sann0116

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I booked hotel through Trivago for myself and a colleague to spend a couple of nights in Madrid after doing the Camino de Santigo. The price fro a single room and breakfast each was only £37 per night each. It wasn't in the centre of Madrid but it was close enough. I was a bit worried after reading the reviews here. HOWEVER . Yes the décor is a bit "retro" and our single rooms where small BUT they were clean comfortable and, ok the TV was old style and I could only get English speaking SKY news or CNBC but SO WHAT. We were here to see MADRID in two days. The desk staff were professional and helpful. On the last day the lady went to great lengths to explain how to get to a location we were interested in. The breakfast was a feast and plenty of choice. I had my smart phone for which I was given a code to log on to free wifi which worked well.

I am only writing from the perspective of an "ordinary" person not a high flying rich international traveller. Whilst I maybe wouldn't sped my whole holiday based here the hotel was spot on for a few days. It was really good value and a short walk to the "Alverado" metro station connected us with the whole city including airport. Yes if you are not a snob I would highly recommend this hotel at the rate given.

Room Tip: We had singles which were compact. No views
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Desontheroad
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The hotel was OK but the reception was always too busy and people had to wait to be attended to.
it is a typical city hotel which caters mainly to business clients. Food was average. Room was clean and spacious.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My sister and I stayed in this very retro hotel while visiting Madrid to watch a Real Madrid game. The hotel's proximity to the Santiago Bernabeu stadium was very convenient (7-10 minute walk). The hotel is in a very nice area with lots of restaurants, shops, and bakeries nearby. It is also an ideal place to catch one of the red "hop on, hop off" double decker tour buses that go straight into the heart of Madrid passing many main attractions along the way. The staff spoke English very well and were very helpful in terms of advising us on the best way to get around and see most of the sites in the time that we had. The rooms were very clean and spacious. There was free Internet in the rooms as well, which is always a plus, and the connection was good. The breakfast was good too. Overall, it was a very quiet and enjoyable stay.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Huda Y
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed at the Gran Atlanta while my wife was working in the area of Nuevos Ministerios.

When we first entered the Hotel on a Friday evening my first reaction was that I had been time-warped back 30 years. The Foyer was clean and well appointed in a "'30's" style.

The room was clean but the bathroom was dated. The TV was old and for the two days over the week-end the signal was abysmal and full of snow! The Internet was free.....When it worked! I don't know how many times I had to go up and down to the reception to get them to restart the router as I need wifi for work.

Breakfast was OK - an enhanced Continental breakfast with ham, fruit and occasionally scrambled eggs!

Location is good if one is in the area of Nuevos Ministerios. FNAC, El Corte Ingles et al are all located within 6-7 minutes walk.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank barlaventoexpert
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We didn't stay at this hotel because of its proximity to the Bernabeu. We found it quite by chance. I had been looking to book us a holiday in Madrid, but always one or two of the group couldn't make the dates by a day or two. By the time we'd arrived at dates everyone could make, places at central Madrid budget hotels had mostly gone, so I looked a little further out and I found this gem. The distance to the centre was no problem at all, as the hotel is well linked to the centre by metro.
The hotel was built in the 1970's, and it looks as if it hasn't changed since then ... but in a good way; there's a certain retro chic to it.
My room was a little small, but clean and reasonably well furnished. The en suite was good with a bath tub. I prefer this to shower-only jobs. The TV only had 2 English language channels, one of which didn't work. But then I wasn't in Madrifd to watch telly, so I wasn't bothered.
The staff spoke English well and were always helpful and friendly.
I was surprised to read some of the reviews on here about the breakfast. I thought it was fine.

I would be intrigued to know how it earns its 4 stars, since there are none of the amenities you might expect at a 4-star. Nonetheless, this is a really good, if slightly quirky, budget alternative to the budget hotels in the city centre, and I recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank slimboy2016
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in April 2013 whilst in Madrid to watch Real Madrid play. 5-10 minute walk from the Bernabeu Stadium. Close to metro stations. Lots of restaurants/cafes/bars nearby. Have to get metro into central Madrid. Room of good standard but walls thin so lots of outside noise.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family