“You get what you pay for. Should be rated 2 Star not 4 Star!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Weare Chamartin Hotel

Weare Chamartin Hotel
Ranked #256 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for. Should be rated 2 Star not 4 Star!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Don't judge this hotel by it's Star rating as I did. Sadly, I thought I'd bagged a bargain.

Let's start with the positives; It's a stones throw from the Metro so very easy to get around the city. It's also close to the airport. The hotel was clean. That's the positives done I'm afraid.

The negatives:
Let's start with the room; The curtains were hanging off so wouldn't close properly; The sun shutters outside didn't shut properly; the shower head was clogged with lime so didn't work properly; no tea/coffee making facilities; no ironing board/iron; all furnishing were tired, room needed redecorating.
Hotel facilities:
Ahum, facilities? This is the main reason why this hotel should be 2 star, there are the basics i.e. Bar & Restaurant. Both of these are again in dire need of renovation. You certainly wouldn't come in off the street to use them.

Service: Again, this was lacking. Perhaps I'm old fashioned but I do like 'service with a smile'. I didn't see one set of smiling teeth during my 4 day visit.
The Bar; On our first evening at 11.30pm the staff made it very obvious that they wanted us to leave. The lights came up, they closed the bar door, turned the TV off and clattered very loudly behind the bar until we left. Not 4 Star behaviour.
The Restaurant; much the same behaviour as the bar. If you'd like a quiet breakfast to start your day, eat somewhere else. The customers aren't noisy but the staff are. Totally lacked finesse. Tables cleared down using a trolley, plates and cutlery thrown on, what a racket. Again, not 4 Star behaviour.
Reception; There was meet but no greet. On checking out I wasn't even asked if I'd enjoyed my stay. Perhaps they fear the answers they commonly get.

To sum up: Not worthy of 4 star, hotel needs renovation, staff require training in customer service.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CRMCHAMARTIN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Weare Chamartin Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Patrick,

First of all sorry for any inconvenience caused during your stay. We have taken note about all your comments to improve our service and facilities.
Please accept our appologies.

Regards and thank you for your opinion,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jordan Valley, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I'll be honest here... the people working here are amazing, always a step before you and fulfilling every wish but the structure, that is the whole building, is a disaster. It's like we are in the 90s, we have lcds but the rest is so lef behind... Obviausly noone cared about mainteining the whole thing. There are a lot of advantages though. For example, the fact that the hotel IS in atrain station that can take you anywhere you want to go. Another thing is breakfast and the restauraants... so pretty!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CRMCHAMARTIN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Weare Chamartin Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear guest,

It is pleasnat for us reading your kindly comments. We take note about your positive comments and we will let know our staff. We also be in mind rest comments to improve our facilities.

Thank you so much for your time.

It would be great for us receiving you soon.

Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Like the previous reviewer, my sister and I have just returned from this hotel, having stayed for 5 nights. We booked it as a 'surprise ' hotel through Easyjet holidays as this seemed amazingly good value for a 4 star hotel in a popular city during not just school holidays, but a time when Madrid is very busy because of the Easter celebrations. Once we booked and got the hotel details, we checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor...and panicked! Reading some of the reviews, I would have considered cancelling the holiday if it hadn't been non-refundable. As it was, we consoled ourselves that for the price we paid, we couldn't expect too much.

As it turned out, we needn't have worried at all. I emailed the hotel and requested a quiet, high floor twin room and that is exactly what we got. Check in (at about 9pm) was easy and efficient. The gentleman on reception spoke English and issued us with codes for the free wifi, a map of the area and some tour / info brochures. The lobby seemed large and clean. We were also allocated a room on the 8th floor and on opening the door to our room, still fearing the worst, were very surprised to find ourselves in a large room that smelled and looked clean and fresh. Our beds were not on wheels and the mattresses were thick, quite firm and comfortable with pristine white sheets. Each bed had one long pillow, but there was also a cushion which I used as an extra pillow. There was ample storage space ( hanging and drawers) a free safe and fridge. The bathroom was clean, contained a full bathtub and over bath shower which worked efficiently. Water pressure was always fine. The toilet was a bit noisy at times, but worked fine. We had a good view out over the city and the windows opened. It was noisy when the windows were open, as you would expect, but once closed, we couldn't really hear any noise from the station or the road. Interior walls were thin, but they seem to be the same in most city hotels. I'm sure this can cause issues if you have noisy neighbours, but there isn't much the hotel can do about that.

The room was thoroughly cleaned every day to an excellent standard- I walked around the wood effect floor in bare feet and my feet stayed clean, so clearly the housekeeping staff were doing a good job!

I found breakfast to be fine. There seemed to be a good selection of continental choices, less cooked options, but I didn't try these, so can't comment. The yogurts and pastries were certainly fine - the chocolate pastries were delicious! There were three types of fruit juice, including fresh orange juice, that did seem to be 'proper' orange juice, not the squash type that you often get.

All staff that I came across were professional, polite and courteous. There is a left luggage room on floor -2 (the station level exit) which can be used free for 24 hours and seemed very secure. There are escalators or lifts to take you from this level up to the reception area and several staff members were usually on hand providing security and assistance. It felt very safe.

The hotel is in an excellent location above one of the main train/ metro stations in Madrid, making it easy to get into the centre or to the surrounding area. There are also a number of shops and cafés in the station ( ranging from a sandwich / cake shop to Burger King and a nice frozen yogurt place) We purchased a 5 day tourist transport ticket, which was good value and convenient for us as we were using the metro, local trains and buses a lot. We did initially have difficulty finding where we could purchase this, as we though that we had to go to a tourist office. It turned out that you can buy them from the machines in the metro station ( leave the hotel by the exit on -2 , walk straight across and then to the left side of the mall area to get directly into the metro station. There are stairs, escalators and a lift there. If you go into the mall area, you will find the Renfe trains etc and can only get to the metro by passing through the Renfe ticket barriers- not helpful if you don't have a Renfe compatible ticket!) all stations operate automatic ticket barriers, so you need a ticket to access the platforms. At the machines in the metro station, we found some helpful staff who made sure that we got the right ticket and issued us with the map/ instructions wallet. No one checked that our passport numbers were on the tickets ( it said that the ticket would be invalid without this) but we wrote our numbers on to be safe. Line 1 of the metro ( right at the lowest level of the station) connects Chamartin with the main station at Atocha (takes a little under 30 minutes), and also stations like (vodaphone) Sol and Gan Via in the centre. Line 10, one floor up, takes you to places such as Plaza de Espana and Casa de Campo ( for the zoo). The metro lines link up regularly, so it is easy to reach anywhere on the network from Camartin. Trains are very frequent and the system is easy to navigate. Bus stops were also easy to read, listing the stops on the route, with an identifying mark to show where you were and a direction arrow indicating the rest of the route. Metro stations that connect with stops are also marked on the list, making it very easy to switch between modes of transport.

Sorry for the very long review, but hopefully it will answer some of the questions you might have about this hotel and reassure people that there are certainly some good rooms here, so there is no need to panic if you've booked already! I would certainly stay here again and I didn't expect to be saying that!

Room Tip: Floor 8 seemed to have been renovated , good views over the city and high enough that there was no n...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank M98025
CRMCHAMARTIN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Weare Chamartin Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for summing up your stay in our hotel and for let know Tripadvisor users your experience in our hotel.
We are very pleasant to know that we have completely exceeded your expectations.

Thank you so much again for your kindly comments.

We will be great receiving you soon,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I returned from Madrid yesterday. I was without doubt very concerned about this hotel before we arrived. The Trip Advisor reviews we read seemed to suggest it was going to be an incredibly poor place to stay, however this was not the case.

Our room was a double on the 8th floor. The room was both clean and well furnished. Granted the bed did not have a duvet but the sheets were clean and more than enough to sleep well at night (the bed also contained a mattress protector, I did check as I'm an avid Hotel Inspector fan) The room had a large wardrobe with a safe and full length mirrors as well as a tv with some viewable channels. Whilst the bathroom was not modern, it was clean and large and served its purpose well. Every day our room was serviced with clean linen for our beds and fresh towels.

Whilst the hotel is not central it is within the train and metro complex which made it incredibly easy to get into central Madrid.

I should also add that I only paid £77.04 for two people, for four nights, so had this hotel have been substandard then I probably deserved it. However this hotel really does deserve more credit. If people don't like it then in my opinion they are the type of people who want a luxury or boutique hotel. If you are, like me, the Joe average who wants a clean room in which to explore a brilliant city then this hotel will serve your purpose.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank SML3013
Dear guest,

We are pleasant to read that you had a nice stay in our hotel. We are sorry that other comments frighten you, but it is great for us that you could check it for yourself our hotel.

We hope welcome you in you future visit to MAdrid,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I honestly don't understand how this is rated as a 4*. It doesn't even compare to 4* hotels we've stayed at in other cities! I strongly suggest not to stay here, unless necessary. We only booked it because it was part of a groupon package.

The decor throughout the hotel is dated, from the reception to the rooms. Don't let the hotel website photos fool you! Our beds were on rollers and had thin mattresses, and the bathroom had a blowdryer so large I initially thought it was a vacuum! I won't comment on the breakfast other than to say just skip it & eat elsewhere.

The one positive is location, the accessibility to several transportation links. The train and metro are literally steps away from the hotel entrance. Save the €30 cab fare and take the train or metro from the airport to Chamartin station for a fraction of the price. The hotel is also only two train stops away from Sol, the heart of the city, and two or three metro stops away from Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RoamingAmbassador
Dear guest,

We are really sorry to know that our hotel had not covered your expectatives.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I was there with my husband for 4 nights. We booked 2 months in advance via Agoda. The booking was superior room with breakfast.
When we arrived the hotel, we were very disappointed. The room was old. At the edge of the windows were fully with mold. Bathroom was clean but quite old, there was nothing to cover the drain so we smelled the drain all night. Our room was near the lift and the lift beeped all night.
On the next day, we went down to have breakfast but the restaurant staff said our room had no breakfast and let us talked with one of the reception staff. He was impolite to us. We told him to check again with Agoda because we paid already for the booking with breakfast but he didn't check anything and said "Agoda didn't pay your breakfast" then we checked again our booking via Agoda but it was included then we decided to meet the manager on Monday morning.
After we went out that day, when we came back there was a message on the table that said sorry after checking with Agoda my booking was breakfast included. ( I understand the mistakes can always happen. We asked the staff to check but he did not and he was very rude.) I don't know if the 4 stars hotel could train the staffs to be polite and how to treat all guest in a good manner.
After we talked to the manager on the next day. We decided not to have breakfast because we didn't have any good feeling left with this hotel. After complaining, the manager offered us a bottle Wien but actually we didn't want it. We just wanted to inform the problem that happened with us. Never again!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KizZie_KizZ
Dear guest,

First of all, sorry for any inconvenience caused. We are really sorry for inconvenience, please accept our appologies, due it was a mistake. We have taken note about it.

Regards and thank you for share your comments,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

had a 4 night city break using this hotel.good location above line 10 of the metro.5 minute walk to plaza de castilla,plenty of shops bars etc.didnt feel threatened walking around the area at night.the hotel is fine for the price,the staff are friendly,the rooms are clean and serviced daily.would I stay again the answer is a definite yes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CRMCHAMARTIN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Weare Chamartin Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Tony,

It is great for us to know that you will choose again our hotel.
Thank you for your kindly comments and be in mind that will be a pleasure welcome you soon.