“Good hotel”

Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel
Ranked #247 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is well located. Its a little old in its interior but if your get the premium room you will have a lot of space. They have breakfast with a good variety of food. There is air conditioning in the room as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
JOAQUIN G, E-Guest Experience at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Ana S,

Thanks for having chosen as and for sharing your experience at Tripadvisor! It is great for us to know you enjoyed your Premium Room and breakfast and we look forward to welcoming you very soon!

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. We got a very nice and big hotel room. The bathroom was also very nice. Paid 9 euros for breakfast. It was worth it! Highly recommend it via booking.com. Got a great deal. The front desk staff were friendly by Madrid standards. The restaurant ladies were very nice.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing Gran Via. There is no noise from the street and the view is really nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
JOAQUIN G, E-Guest Experience at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear CroatiaUSA,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay at Tryp Madrid Menfis. We are very glad to know you enjoyed your room and breakfast. Thank you also for underlining the friendliness of our staff. The whole team will feel proud to know about your words! Please do not hesitate to contact us for your next stay in Madrid. Welcoming you again will be a pleasure for us so: come back soon!

Best regards.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is of modest quality but the location is ideal. The front staff (the two gentlemen) were a real put-off. The female front staff were wonderful but these two guys will keep me from returning or recommending this hotel to others. They were unhelpful and downright difficult when they learned I booked the hotel on hotels.com. We were treated as second class citizens by these two men. Shameful!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank GiovanniRoberts

Dear GiovanniRoberts,

First of all I would like to thank you for letting us know about your experience with us

We are really sorry to know that you had such a bad perception about the service received at the front office. It has surprised us as this is one of our best evaluated points by our guest. In this sense, I would like to let you know that we take good note of your comments and that I will transmit them to the involved departments, as all our guests –without differences- and their happiness is our most important aim.

We hope that the events you report do not dissuade you to visit us again. We really look forward to welcoming you again at Tryp Madrid Menfis. I will ensure personally that you have a pleasant stay. I keep at your entire disposal.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I selected this hotel on Booking.com because of the extremely good rating and prices and have not been at all disappointed. The hotel is located along the Gran Via, in a top place for shopping and hanging out. Close to metro station and any transportation mean. I stayed here for just one night and therefore I cannot comment on a the hotel facilities, a the more since I got there very late. But the people at the concierge desk have been extremely pleasant and helpful. Free wifi, I selected a double room for single usage and got a very very spacious room, very quiet and comfortable at one of the top floors. Furniture is ok, standard I would say, interiors are also ok. Bathroom good. Breakfast is good, nothing to remember of, but good and overall, for 110€ in this hotel in Madrid, I would immediately come back.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Stekl70,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about your experience! We are very glad to know you had a pleasant stay thanks to our wonderful location and spacious rooms. We are happy also to read that you enjoyed breakfast, as your excellent opinion about our team. I will transmit your words as your happiness is our greatest source of motivation. We hope you can have a longer stay with us next time and we keep at your entire disposal.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I travelled to Madrid recently on business and it was a relatively short notice trip. Consequently, I didn't have chance to ask my colleagues for any recommendations. The hotel was booked through our corporate agent.

When I arrived late at night I was disappointed to learn there is no bar in the hotel. I arrived at around 11.30 and just wanted to sit and have a beer and a snack before heading to bed. So, I had to trudge around looking for somewhere to get something. There are plenty of places to eat, but as a lonely traveler, tired and hungry, surrounded by lots of buzzing bars, I opted for a McDonalds and headed to bed.

The room was spacious but the double room I requested was actually two singles; not too comfortable...

Overall the room was in need of a lick of paint and a some TLC. I looked out of the window and was greeted with the sight of Grand Via stretched out below me. Lovely I thought, until I tried to get some sleep... The noise was terrible! The windows barely stopped any noise.

The next day I asked to be moved which was arranged with no fuss by the extremely friendly reception staff. The second room was at the rear of the hotel, had a double bed and was in overall slightly better shape than the last room. I slept very well.

Each room had a TINY bathroom. The shower was decent and the bathroom was spotless.

The breakfast in the hotel is good and plentiful with a reasonable range of options.

Downsides to this hotel are the lack of a bar / lounge area and the slightly shabby 'tired' feel. Upside, it's a great location and the staff are extremely accommodating.

Would I stay here again if I returned on business? No, I don't think so.
Would I stay here if I were to return with my family? No, I don't think so.
Would I recommend this hotel to someone looking to stay at one of the high end tourist 'hostels' / lower end hotels? Yes I would, probably for the breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking Grand Via if you want to go to sleep
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Balks36
JOAQUIN G, E-Guest Experience at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Balks36,

Thank you very much for having spent some of your time sharing your experience at Tripadvisor. We are sorry about your perception at your arrival due to the lack of bar at the hotel. However, as you say, this area is plenty of restaurant options walking distance.

We apologize also for not having achieved your expectations about the first room and we take good note of all your suggestion. Nevertheless we are glad to know we were able to provide you with a new one that kept your requests. I this sense thank you for underlining the friendliness of our staff.

Your comfort and satisfaction is our most important aim, that´s why we hope to welcome you again very soon. We will do our best in order to your next stay is percfect! Please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

A decent , clean and tidy hotel in a central location.Metro stations in close proximity.
Good sized and clean rooms with small but nice bathrooms.Air conditioning works well, breakfast is good and hotel and rooms are clean and tidy. The only critiscm is that some of the bedrooms would benefit from a freshen up / coat of paint - this is often the case with busy city hotels where occupancy rates will be high.
Because of its location on Grand Via you have to be willing to put up with some noise in the evenings - remember this city rarely sleeps !- look for a room to the rear of the hotel. Standard rooms are well proportioned compared with some we have been in at this price level.
Reception may be small but it is well presented and perfectly adequate for purpose.
to cut down on walking wort buying a metro /bus pass for 5/7days - metro is excellent and well signposted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at rear if you dont like noise. We had a room at the side of the hotel and still hear...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jill j
JOAQUIN G, E-Guest Experience at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear traveller,

First thanks a lot for your good rate and for sharing your opinion at Tripadvisor! We really like to know you made the most of our wonderful location! Moreover, it is a pleasure for us to read you enjoyed our varied breakfast and that you were comfortable in your room. We take good note of your valuable suggestions about refurbishments and we take this opportunity to encourage you to ask us about our Premium rooms for your next stay. We will prepare a quiet one for you and your experience will improve! Please, come back soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Great location, service, room, and breakfasts! Staff very helpful; most (except housekeeping) can aid in good to excellent English. Only suggestion: ask for an interior room, as Madrid is a VERY noisy city - especially on Friday and Saturday nites!

Room Tip: Interior room is a must, if you want to get any sleep!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JOAQUIN G, E- Guest Experience at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Ms_BC_2U,

Thank you very much for your nice opinion about Tryp Madrid Menfis. We are glad to read your words about our staff, they will feel very happy to know about them as giving a excellent service to our guests is our most important aim! It is also a pleasure to know you liked our breakfast and rooms. By the way, do not hesitate to contact us for your next trip to Madrid, you will have a quitter room and your stay will be simply perfect. We look forward to welcoming you!