“Great hotel”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #50 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel is in a superb location, 5 minute walk from Retiro park and Place Independance. Only down side, the pool was not open until 10am. I had planned on a pre breakfast swim every day and it wasn't possible. Sometimes a bit crowded with children who were generally considerate but one or two of them just jumped in regardless, almost hitting me on some occasions but this wasn't the fault of the hotel. Did swim every evening before the pool closed at 8, not a huge pool but quite adequate. Breakfast was wonderful as were all the staff, would definitely recommend this hotel. We did go into the Club room on the 7th floor (our suite was almost next to it) and it was comfy and cool after a hot day sight seeing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlos S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Miss Claire, thank you so much for taking your time in sharing your experience with us. Regarding your comment about the pool, we truly apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. However, we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay and our facilities. Kind Regards.

There are newer reviews for Wellington Hotel

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We have been to this hotel many times and it has always been a pleasant experience. The rooms are a great size, very luxurious. The hotel has great restaurants especially the Japanese one! For breakfast the churros are always amazing, and the gym at the hotel has great facilities!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest, It is a pleasure to read such a wonderful comment about our hotel. We are glad you are a frequent customer and that our services meet your needs everytime you choose us. This motivates us to continue giving a 5 star service and great customer care. Thank you for your time and for sharing with us your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again. Best Regards.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

First of all, if you are reading this you know what a beautiful hotel the Wellington is, and you know that it's location ext to Retiro Park is perfect. What I want to let everyone know is how amazing the staff really was. We had two issues come up and without the help of the staff, I am not things would have worked out as well as they did.

First, my wife and I had planned to visit Madrid for a few days and then take a train to Sevilla to continue our vacation. I had purchased the train tickets ahead of time but stupid me, I left the tickets back in the States. Unable to just print off another set of tickets, I had to go through the process of getting a refund on my existing tickets and buying new ones. I tried to do all of this on my own on my computer but kept getting frustrated. So, I visited the front desk and told them of my dilemma. They asked for my itinerary and told me they would handle the booking for me. So, I went out sightseeing and came back that evening to an envelope of train tickets for the rest of my vacation. I was amazed and so very thankful for their help. They definitely saved our vacation from almost disaster. Thank you!!!

Second, the night before we were leaving for Sevilla, we were coming in from sightseeing, and the first desk clerk stopped us. They knew we were leaving the next morning. They advised that a taxi strike was starting the next morning and we would not be able to get a taxi to the train station. They helped us schedule a private car service as the train station is a bit far to walk with a lll of our luggage. Had they not stopped and told us, we would have been in serious trouble the next morning. So, thank you soooo much for going above and beyond.

There, my two cents. A great hotel with great staff!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlos S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest, Greetings from Madrid and thank you for having chosen our hotel as residence during your stay this summer. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotels location is great and it is easy to get around.
The 7th floor lounge is beautiful with terraces to enjoy the sun. Found the food selection limited.
Breakfast was amazing.
The room was a good size.
The only downside was the pool-there were no many spaces. We had to wait for a sun lounge as all were occupied.
The spa seemed overpriced relative to similar hotels in madrid

Room Tip: 7th floor's rooms are great
1  Thank FoodLover21480

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your nice feedback and feelings about the Hotel. We are pleased to have met your expectations. Regarding to your comment about the swimmig pool área, we really apologize for any inconvenience caused. Looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future. Best regards.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Charming older hotel, in a beautiful and quiet neighbourhood. Rooms are not that big, but they are very comfortable and well equipped. Try and get breakfast included, as it is sumptuous and very enjoyable before a day exploring the City. The (posh) local neighbourhood has some upmarket bars and restaurants, the Park is just over the road and the centre of town about 20mins walk or 5mins in a cab/metro. We were there for a wedding so did not get to explore the hotel in depth, but I'd thoroughly recommend it and would happily stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking your time in sharing your experience at Wellington Hotel through Tripadvisor.We are very happy to know that you spent a wonderful time in the Hotel and you enjoyed all our rooms, breakfast and location, nearby all the boutiques and restaurants. Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future. Best regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a unique hotel and I hope my in-depth review will help other T.A. members.

We stayed at the beginning of July in a superior exec room 607 now I think this was one of the rooms that had not been upgraded. All I can say was the room was elegant in a slightly old fashioned way. We thoroughly enjoyed staying in this room large overlooking the pool extremely quiet apart from a disturbing person above us which was treated with due diligence by front desk.

There is a choice for breakfast when staying at the hotel with entrance to the Wellington lounge. On business I suggest the aforementioned as it is a light breakfast in a truly superb seventh floor location. They have options of sitting alfresco on terraces overlooking Madrid with exceptional views.

After the first day we opted to go downstairs to the main restaurant for breakfast. A greater selection which we preferred. Everything was calm always shown to a table and also treated with a smile.

We also took lunch at the terraced restaurant a very worthwhile visit - a must with a three-hour lunch - most satisfactory.

Overall this hotel is one that makes you feel you must return.

As mentioned before with other members it is very close to all the sightseeing centres. Metro which we fully enjoyed and had no problem negotiating around Madrid, is just around the corner. The Retiro Park is just across the road.

On the downside as per usual all sunbeds seem to be taken by 10 o'clock in the morning , I hope the following is positive criticism for the hotel. Only one English television channel BBC world which is not something you come to expect in Spain. There was also the usual American news broadcast. This was something I mentioned to front desk which they truly noted and thanked.

The minibar contains water and beverages all chargeable so it would be nice to have welcome bottles of water in the room apart from access to the Wellington club room.

The metro became a very easy link to areas in Madrid. I suggest taking the metro from the airport to the hotel quite which is simple and takes about 40 minutes and costs five euros plus you can get an all day pass for eight euros which includes full use of the Metro and all buses .

Nearest supermarket is a small one. as you come out the hotel turn right a very basic supermarket, the major one be found was at Es Corte Ingles, Goya. It's in the basement so very useful for stocking up on basic requirements.

The nearest post office is directly opposite the hotel Front and directly opposite, down the road and on the left-hand side is the post office BUT you do have to look for it.

Did not try the hop on hop off bus as we found the metro far easier to use with no problems and very helpful local people.

Also, as other members have said, a must to visit is the Bernabeu Stadium which costs 19 Euros per adult to visit but it's an amazing experience.

I would recommend this hotel and look forward to returning

Room Tip: Select high floor and superior executive rooms are well worth the extra cost. Facing the pool was qu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlos S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review regarding your recent stay at Wellington Hotel. Your feedback is appreciated, as it is very important for the measurement of our quality. We will consider your comments on Tv channels. We hope to welcome you at Wellington Hotel once again. King regards.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just returned from a weekend in Madrid and can thoroughly recommend this lovely hotel. Some reviews said the hotel was tired, it was perfect. The antique furniture and chandeliers were amazing, the rooms were large as was the bathroom. Very powerful shower although could not say the same for the hairdryer (take your own). Service was great at the hotel although the food at the pool a little pricey. In a quiet part of Madrid but just 20 minute walk into town. We stayed local one night and thoroughly enjoyed the quirky bars close by. Good shopping close by. The pool was very lovely although my only advice to the management would be to provide more beds, there is adequate space. The beds that were provided were a little tired, some broken but this is our only criticism. I would definitely choose this hotel for another trip to Madrid. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for your positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed our rooms, service and location. It would be a pleasure for us to be your choice during your next visit to Madrid.