“A great place to stay”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #51 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I've never been to Madrid before and was travelling there with my family in mid august for a few days. We picked The Wellington as it was one of the very few central hotels with an outdoor pool. After a long day of sightseeing the pool was a very welcome sight! They also had interconnecting rooms which was important as my kids are only 7 and 8. Only standard rooms interconnect so although I preferred the updated styling of the superior rooms we chose not to upgrade (about €13 prpn). Our standard room also had a balcony overlooking the pool area which was nice. At the end of our first day, returned to our room, went to run my kids a much needed bath only to find that when you turn on the tap, the shower comes on as well. They were very apologetic and offered to send up maintenance. I wanted to get the boys to sleep so agreed that they would fix it the next day. We told them when we were going out and they came to fix it then, so as not to disturb us. When we returned the problem had not been able to be fixed so they offered us an upgrade to a very large 2 bedroom suite and moved all our things over for the remains of our stay. The manager was delightful and worked very hard to make sure we were happy. Cannot fault the service of any of the staff in the hotel. The breakfast was first class. Also ate at the pool restaurant in the evening which served lovely light fresh meals highlighting the vegetables they grow in the hotel. The location is also great, very near shopping, restaurants and a short stroll through the beautiful Retiro Park to the main museums and galleries. Would highly recommend, particularly if you are travelling with children. Thanks for a very special stay.

• Stayed: August 2014
Carlos S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest, we are delighted to read such a great review from our hotel. It is a great satisfaction to see how our service and facilities met your expectations. In addition, thank you for being patient and give us the opportunity to compensate you for the initial incident you had on your standard room. We hope to welcome you again in the near future if you visit Madrid. Kind Regards.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Wellington is one of the best 5* hotels in Madrid if you are looking for great & attentive service, nice rooms with comfy bed and very quiet, outdoor pool, spa and great location. It is located in the heart of the Salamanca neighbourhood, where you would find most of the designers shop or small boutiques as well as more high street brands like Zara. It also has a nice variety of restaurants and bars to go out at night and is a short taxi/metro ride away from all the tourist attraction like Prado Museum, Puerta del Sol etc... The Retiro park is literally across the street and is a nice place to have a walk. The hotel offers a babysitting service which we used on 2 occasions and were very satisfied, theyl also arranged for us to check-out late so that our son could have a nap before going to the airport which was a really nice attention Overall a great hotel that I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Madrid.

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the pool as they are more quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest, thank you for choosing Hotel Wellington and giving us feedback from your stay in Madrid. It is a satisfaction to read such a wonderful review and we are glad your enjoyed our service. This motivates us to continue improving and giving high quality service. We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Best Regards.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Firstly I think it's good to know the person behind the review and reason for travel, I am 35 and took my girlfriend to madrid for 3 nights at beginning of August as a surprise for our anniversary.

I looked on various websites to find the best deal and as I booked late the hotels website had the best price with a deal saving 15%, didn't include breakfast but wasn't fussed about that. Did ask when we got there how much to upgrade for breakfast but at €27.50 each it was never worth it!

When I booked I couldn't decide between standard or paying €90 euro more for updated decor of superior, decided to wait till we got there and asked to see both. The standard had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool, the superior had a small window facing the road, bathrooms were the same and we quite liked chic styling of standard, so standard and balcony it was saving €90.

I looked at various hotels, but chose Wellington purely for outdoor pool and spa, forecast was 30 degrees and thought it would be nice to have some time chilling by pool. However, as it's between buildings only part of the pool ever gets the sun, didn't open till 10.30, pool was too cold and not enough beds (you need to get there early). Plus outdoor jacuzzi was only working for one day.

Staff as you'd expect in a 5 star hotel were great and sorted our restaurant for anniversary meal. Only English Channel in rooms was news, all doom and gloom and to hire a movie was a rip off €15.

Finally and to end on a good note, our flight wasn't until 5.30pm and check out was 12, when I phoned up without prompting she asked if we wanted a late check out, 1-1.30pm at no charge which was great as we could relax by pool, if only we could find a sun lounger in the sun!!

Like I said, lovely hotel and staff, good location and with a few small changes could be even better.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew C

Dear Mr. Andrew, we truly appreciate your time in sending a detailed feedback on your thoughts and experience regarding your stay at Hotel Wellington. In addition, we would like to thank you for choosing us in such a special date for you. We will take note of your observations to try and improve our service, and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced regarding the pool. Looking forward to welcome you again. Kind Regards.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel is in a superb location, 5 minute walk from Retiro park and Place Independance. Only down side, the pool was not open until 10am. I had planned on a pre breakfast swim every day and it wasn't possible. Sometimes a bit crowded with children who were generally considerate but one or two of them just jumped in regardless, almost hitting me on some occasions but this wasn't the fault of the hotel. Did swim every evening before the pool closed at 8, not a huge pool but quite adequate. Breakfast was wonderful as were all the staff, would definitely recommend this hotel. We did go into the Club room on the 7th floor (our suite was almost next to it) and it was comfy and cool after a hot day sight seeing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Miss Claire, thank you so much for taking your time in sharing your experience with us. Regarding your comment about the pool, we truly apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. However, we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay and our facilities. Kind Regards.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We have been to this hotel many times and it has always been a pleasant experience. The rooms are a great size, very luxurious. The hotel has great restaurants especially the Japanese one! For breakfast the churros are always amazing, and the gym at the hotel has great facilities!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest, It is a pleasure to read such a wonderful comment about our hotel. We are glad you are a frequent customer and that our services meet your needs everytime you choose us. This motivates us to continue giving a 5 star service and great customer care. Thank you for your time and for sharing with us your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again. Best Regards.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

First of all, if you are reading this you know what a beautiful hotel the Wellington is, and you know that it's location ext to Retiro Park is perfect. What I want to let everyone know is how amazing the staff really was. We had two issues come up and without the help of the staff, I am not things would have worked out as well as they did.

First, my wife and I had planned to visit Madrid for a few days and then take a train to Sevilla to continue our vacation. I had purchased the train tickets ahead of time but stupid me, I left the tickets back in the States. Unable to just print off another set of tickets, I had to go through the process of getting a refund on my existing tickets and buying new ones. I tried to do all of this on my own on my computer but kept getting frustrated. So, I visited the front desk and told them of my dilemma. They asked for my itinerary and told me they would handle the booking for me. So, I went out sightseeing and came back that evening to an envelope of train tickets for the rest of my vacation. I was amazed and so very thankful for their help. They definitely saved our vacation from almost disaster. Thank you!!!

Second, the night before we were leaving for Sevilla, we were coming in from sightseeing, and the first desk clerk stopped us. They knew we were leaving the next morning. They advised that a taxi strike was starting the next morning and we would not be able to get a taxi to the train station. They helped us schedule a private car service as the train station is a bit far to walk with a lll of our luggage. Had they not stopped and told us, we would have been in serious trouble the next morning. So, thank you soooo much for going above and beyond.

There, my two cents. A great hotel with great staff!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlos S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest, Greetings from Madrid and thank you for having chosen our hotel as residence during your stay this summer. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotels location is great and it is easy to get around.
The 7th floor lounge is beautiful with terraces to enjoy the sun. Found the food selection limited.
Breakfast was amazing.
The room was a good size.
The only downside was the pool-there were no many spaces. We had to wait for a sun lounge as all were occupied.
The spa seemed overpriced relative to similar hotels in madrid

Room Tip: 7th floor's rooms are great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodLover21480

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your nice feedback and feelings about the Hotel. We are pleased to have met your expectations. Regarding to your comment about the swimmig pool área, we really apologize for any inconvenience caused. Looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future. Best regards.