“Next-to-a-really-great experience”
Review of Melia Castilla

Melia Castilla
Ranked #62 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel accorded a warm and pleasant welcome to Madrid the moment we entered it. Other positives include: A very cheerful and spacious lobby, more-than-satifactory amenities in the room and around the hotel. Being the last stop during our fast-paced 12-day tour around Spain, our room at Melia Castilla was superbly comfortable and conducive to dreamless sleep and the bathroom and bath products lush! The breakfast offerings were plentiful and delicious! Javier, our porter, helped us cheerfully and efficiently all-day on our last day (since I asked for our luggage to be stored until we left for our late flight, while we came in-and-out of the hotel until we left for the airport). The only 2 drawbacks were: when I asked the May 6 evening front desk staff (an elderly gentleman whose name I didn't ask) for a late check out the next day, he said it was a problem because they needed all the rooms. He couldn't accommodate us. But early the next morning, I asked the front desk staff, and I was gladly accommodated for a late check out of 2p.m. All's well that ends well. The other drawback was: my husband asked for a bigger taxi to accommodate our 3 pieces of luggage and 2 hand-carried bags. Javier helped us together with another gentlemen and we were very happy to have one waiting for us when we were ready. That was great! However, my husband left his credit card case and cell phone in the taxi. He rushed back to the hotel to try and get the porters to contact the taxicab driver. One of the porters (Jesus, I believe was his name) gave my husband a hard time and was not helping at all. He was very dismissive. When my husband insisted, we were happy that another staff contacted Javier at home (he was off-duty already by then as it was around 5:30p.m.) and again, Javier kindly gave the name of the person who called for the taxi driver we used. The taxi cab driver came back to the hotel and gave my husband his card case and cell phone! WHAT A WONDERFUL ENDING TO THIS STORY! I might also add that I called the hotel from the airport about this whole matter and the front desk people were very helpful in asking housekeeping and Lost & Found to check if someone brought back my husband's things. OVERALL, MELIA CASTILLA STAFF WERE VERY ACCOMMODATING, VERY HELPFUL! I commend Javier, the daytime front desk personnel, housekeeping staff who kept our room very clean. There were only 2 people who spoiled it. Not bad at all. Thanks for a great stay! Will recommend your hotel to anyone. Cheers! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Melia Castilla

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel for a business trip in april/may. What I missed were all the little things (e.g. facilities for making coffee/tea in the room, bathrobe, slippers) which are quite common standard nowadays. In addition, I did not like the set up for the breakfast. The door to the (dark, windowless) breakfast room was opened at 7am only, leading sometimes to considerable queues in front, as the room cards are swiped when entering the room eventually. This is surely not the way I enjoy to start my day with. I have not come across a similar set up elsewhere so far. Few words to the fitness room - ok, with few equipment but working ( good: accessible 24/7). Cleanliness of room - not great but ok. Good was the selection of TV programmes, really extensive. Staff was in general very friendly although not overwhelmingly. What I did not appreciate again was to find out during the check out that my credit card had been debited without my approval already! That is a no go for my liking. I was contacted one time to approve a down payment amount, which I did and was ok. But to be charged a second time without even notifying me is not ok. Result: there are other hotels close by and, depending on your needs and preferences, consider these when making your choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Popular with business customers as well as families, this spacious hotel offers sufficient comfort. I emailed the hotel few days in advance requesting a quiet room overlooking the pool and was allocated one on the 11th floor.

Check in/out service in English was pleasant and efficient and so was breakfast. Great range of toiletries and a stool under the bathroom sink to sit on while drying hair added value.

Two points of criticism are a shower, which was not powerful enough, and a smell of smoke in the bathroom.

Few good bars across the road.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Javier_Alcalde, Assistant Manager at Melia Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear client,

We are very pleased with your nice comments about our facilities.

Thank you also for your very valuable advices that we will consider.

Sincerely.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel was good. Big and comfortable. They accidentaly put us on a room, that was especially made for disabled people. We didn't really have a problem and they didn't even know what goof they had done, until the bathroom started smelling extremely bad. They were reluctant to change our room. The second one was much better, with better view, bathroom and beds. The breakfast was mediocre and didn't offer as many choices as I would like to have. Hookers and drunk people were all around and the hotel staff didn't do anything about that. They should be more cautious with some of their clients. They don't speak english, but they are very helpful, polite and good. The area around has many restaurants and is very close to the Bernabeu Stadium, the Prado Museum and many others. The only problem was that you could listen to almost every sound of the other rooms and that was a bit uncomfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bill F
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I spent 5 weeks in Melia Castilla mainly for business but I also had some to make some tourist trips during the weekends.

The hotel has fantastic, huge and comfortable rooms with great beds. The variety and the overall quality of the breakfast were exceptional.

The service was excellent. The staff was really helpful, they gave information about public transport and also made some recommendations for sightseeing. English can be a problem sometimes (it’s true for Madrid in general) but they always found a colleague with better English.

I really liked the location, there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. The home of Real Madrid, the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu is only 15 minutes walking or one metro station away. There are also buses stopping nearby heading to the city centre and to usual tourist spots (e.g. the Prado museum or the Royal Palace).

I would highly recommend this hotel for both business travellers and tourists because of the comfort, excellent service and location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank János A
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here for 3 days for a conference. It was a good facility for a large conference and facilitated the 400 delegates very well (not an easy task).As for catering,the food was clearly aimed towards large numbers and there were similar menu choices over the 3 days however it was certainly tasty and the paella was very popular.The restaurant staff especially at busy episodes during breakfast time were a little slow to respond to requests for coffee/tea but this is understandable and it did come eventually. The beds were so comfortable and the room was reasonably clean even if the decor does need to be up-dated (Be aware there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room either). The conference facilities are very good for larger groups. Check in and check out was very efficient and accommodated the large numbers well. On check out we were dealt with very promptly and there wasn't even a queue considering hundreds of delegates needed to check out. This is a good business location but i'm not sure i would enjoy staying here for a leisure break as it is just too busy with conferences and is a bit far from the city centre.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel with view over pool are better as front ones look out on noisy busy road wit...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Javier_Alcalde, Assistant Manager at Melia Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Joanne,

Thanks for the nice opinions and for sharing them with the other user of Tripadvisor.

As you describe, we are a hotel and a convention center with 33 meeting rooms, all very well equipped with the best technologies to ensure the success of our events.

It's good to know that you found everything under your expectations.

Receive a cordial greeting.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed in the hotel for three days for a conference.the room was lovely the bed was so comfy best sleeps ever, the food of a high standard and the staff efficient at front desk and helpful would stay again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear customer,

Thanks for sharing your opinion with the rest of users. It's really good to know that everything was under your expectations and you enjoyed the services and facilities.

Look forward to welcoming you again.