“Average hotel”
Review of Melia Castilla

Melia Castilla
Ranked #62 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for business and it was not as luxurious as some I have stayed at before. The room was clean and the food was good which is what really matters but I did feel the experience was lacking. The hotel room and bathroom seemed a bit dated and unfortunately it is not near the heart of the city. You have to take public transportation.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Javier_Alcalde, Assistant Manager at Melia Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear guest,

As you know Melia Castilla Hotel is strategically located in the financial area of the city, a few meters from the Paseo de la Castellana and close to Real Madrid Stadium.

The hotel is located 6,83 miles far from the airport, 3,72 miles far from the trade fairs and 1,86 miles far from down town. You´ll find subway stations and bus stations close to the hotel to arrive down town in less than 15 min and cabs 24 at the main entrance.

Thanks so much for your kind comments. We´ll work hard to improve and we will try to surprise you next time and get your five points.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Melia Castilla

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights in this massive hotel at the end of may with Flying Blue rewards miles vouchers.
Since the hotel is massive and since we were not directly paying the room rates we were afraid that they would give us some tiny dark room in the worst corner...
That was not the case. It seems like all rooms have nice size and light and standards.
Room was fairly clean and bathroom very clean.
Room was rather big considering what you usually get in big European capitals, including Madrid on a 4 star hotel with good location.
Location of the hotel is maybe not the best for tourism, but ideal for business, or shopping, or, in our case, for visiting friends.
Swimming pool was not operative, seemly due to some refurbishing works.
Gym was in good condition although it seemed small considering the size (number of rooms) of this hotel.
Parking was expensive and parking lift not working properly.
Lifts for rooms were however fast, and comfortable.
Room service was fast.
We didn't try the breakfast nor restaurants.
And important feature of the room was perfect noise isolation from the street. In fact the room was very quiet, which is something we loved.
We wouldn't mind to repeat experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Javier_Alcalde, Assitant Manager at Melia Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear guest,

All the people coming to The Melia Castilla are important. It doesn´t matter how did you make your reservation, where you are from... You are very important for us, of course !!

We feel really satisfied about your comments and we celebrate that you felt a nice experience.
We are really finishing some changes at the swiming pool area and we´re opening very soon with a new fascinating terrace - bar.

Hope to see you back soon and we´ll work hard to improve and get your five points next time !!
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel in may for business . Service was very good with polite staff . Breakfast was good with excellent variety on offer .

Decor is a bit aged but not rugged . This is not a contemporary hotel so don't expect a lot of bling . Hotel seems to be used a lot for conventions and whilst I was there is was busy but still ver quite .

Room Tip: No frills for the business traveller . Good location to access the city
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Javier_Alcalde, Assistant Manager at Melia Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks so much for your kind comments and we celebrate that you had a pleasant experience at The Melia Castilla.
We offer competitive spaces for events but we work hard to make you feel special and to offer a personal service all the time. It´s one of our most important aims.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was a very pleasant surprise! The service was good from the time you entered the doors. The team at reception were warm and friendly. The customer service intent was evident. The rooms are cosy and comfortable, with good attention being paid to the bathroom facilities. The meals are well prepared and even on a busy morning, there is enought place for all. Nicely done!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Javier_Alcalde, Adjunto a Dirección at Melia Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear guest,

Let me use your words, "... a pleaant surprise..." reading your comments and check that everything has been so nice.

I will tell all the staff about your words and we hope to see you back soon here in Madrid...at The Melia Castilla again, it´ll be a really pleasure.

Thanks so much for your kind comments and we´ll work hard to improve and get a five next time !!
Yours sincerelly,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have the great fortune to be at this classic, elegant and friendly hotel 2 weeks ago. The rooms are comfortable, decoration match with the entire hotel, aristocratic, sober, traditional. The staff always friendly and very responsive. The breakfast every morning was outstanding! Bottles of Champagne for the "mimosas" so many different options, from traditional food to international. Great experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Javier_Alcalde, Adjunto a Dirección at Melia Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear guest,

All the staff at The Melia Castilla celebrate your experience: " Great experience ".

Wea re really working hard to offer a nice and competitive convention hotel but not only convention. We work hard to offer a nice hotel where families, friends, business people, everybody, find their place in Madrid to enjoy a fantastic experience.

Thanks so much for your nice comments!!
Yours sincerelly,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel accorded a warm and pleasant welcome to Madrid the moment we entered it. Other positives include: A very cheerful and spacious lobby, more-than-satifactory amenities in the room and around the hotel. Being the last stop during our fast-paced 12-day tour around Spain, our room at Melia Castilla was superbly comfortable and conducive to dreamless sleep and the bathroom and bath products lush! The breakfast offerings were plentiful and delicious! Javier, our porter, helped us cheerfully and efficiently all-day on our last day (since I asked for our luggage to be stored until we left for our late flight, while we came in-and-out of the hotel until we left for the airport). The only 2 drawbacks were: when I asked the May 6 evening front desk staff (an elderly gentleman whose name I didn't ask) for a late check out the next day, he said it was a problem because they needed all the rooms. He couldn't accommodate us. But early the next morning, I asked the front desk staff, and I was gladly accommodated for a late check out of 2p.m. All's well that ends well. The other drawback was: my husband asked for a bigger taxi to accommodate our 3 pieces of luggage and 2 hand-carried bags. Javier helped us together with another gentlemen and we were very happy to have one waiting for us when we were ready. That was great! However, my husband left his credit card case and cell phone in the taxi. He rushed back to the hotel to try and get the porters to contact the taxicab driver. One of the porters (Jesus, I believe was his name) gave my husband a hard time and was not helping at all. He was very dismissive. When my husband insisted, we were happy that another staff contacted Javier at home (he was off-duty already by then as it was around 5:30p.m.) and again, Javier kindly gave the name of the person who called for the taxi driver we used. The taxi cab driver came back to the hotel and gave my husband his card case and cell phone! WHAT A WONDERFUL ENDING TO THIS STORY! I might also add that I called the hotel from the airport about this whole matter and the front desk people were very helpful in asking housekeeping and Lost & Found to check if someone brought back my husband's things. OVERALL, MELIA CASTILLA STAFF WERE VERY ACCOMMODATING, VERY HELPFUL! I commend Javier, the daytime front desk personnel, housekeeping staff who kept our room very clean. There were only 2 people who spoiled it. Not bad at all. Thanks for a great stay! Will recommend your hotel to anyone. Cheers! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel for a business trip in april/may. What I missed were all the little things (e.g. facilities for making coffee/tea in the room, bathrobe, slippers) which are quite common standard nowadays. In addition, I did not like the set up for the breakfast. The door to the (dark, windowless) breakfast room was opened at 7am only, leading sometimes to considerable queues in front, as the room cards are swiped when entering the room eventually. This is surely not the way I enjoy to start my day with. I have not come across a similar set up elsewhere so far. Few words to the fitness room - ok, with few equipment but working ( good: accessible 24/7). Cleanliness of room - not great but ok. Good was the selection of TV programmes, really extensive. Staff was in general very friendly although not overwhelmingly. What I did not appreciate again was to find out during the check out that my credit card had been debited without my approval already! That is a no go for my liking. I was contacted one time to approve a down payment amount, which I did and was ok. But to be charged a second time without even notifying me is not ok. Result: there are other hotels close by and, depending on your needs and preferences, consider these when making your choice.