“More than 3 but definitely less than a 4, maybe a 3.5”

Melia Madrid Princesa
Ranked #66 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Smallish standard rooms at 25 sqm. (Not as small as some hotels I've stayed in in New York City, though.) I could move around but not much. I like the motion sensor that turns on the light in closet as well as those that turn on the lights in the hallways. The bathroom was fine. The two double sinks, the glass door between the sink and the rainshower are nice touches. (The operation of the faucets can be a bit confusing. You have to pull up. Turning them left to right does not work.) I could do without the kaleidoscope of changing colors in the bed side desks. (At least you can turn them off.) I could likewise do with more illumination from the desk lamp and the bedside reading lamps. While the aforesaid lights may be modern and trendy, they're not exactly practical. Have I mentioned that the entire hotel was renovated in 2008?

One small nitpick about house keeping. I arrived back in my room one night to find a cleaning rag left on the bathroom countertop. Mistakes do happen but still....

Average breakfast. Definitely not great, as the variety is limited and the offerings do not change from day to day. That having been said, I especially liked the donuts (pretty close to Krispy Kreme in taste) and the fruits in the shot glasses. They have churros on offer but you have to order the chocolate separately.

Location was good. Right beside the Ventura Rodriguez Metro Station and a short walk to Plaza Espana and the Temple of Debod. There are also a variety of eating places (form McDonalds to more elaborate restaurants) around the hotel, not to mention the El Corte Ingles up the street.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank PhTravelling_Guy

Reviewed 25 May 2009

Possibly due to the swine flu scare we got a fantastic rate from Sol Melia. We stayed 4 nights incl breakfast-served until 11 am-very civilised. All they claim on their site is true.
We even got a room with nice views. Staff 1st class -the maid does not intrude
Breakfast not worth the price as only eggs cooked to order and one queues for these so rest gets cold. Why not cooked to order sausages and bacon? OK I am being churlish at the price we paid but we had to wait until after breakfast to get a decent cup of coffee in a nearby bar. No doubt the hotel places a lot of emphesis on getting most things right and I applaud them for that. Some reviewers state not a 5 star but if not then pretty close.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donaldgregoryBelfast
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I have nothing but good remarks for this hotel - the bad reviews I can only put down to being prior to the revamp or written by really finicky people!

We got the metro from the airport to the hotel - alighting the train at sol (though we found out on the walk to the hotel that Rodriguez station was practically outside the hotel!) & could see the hotel from here as its quite tall. Word of warning to anyone that decides to take the metro & walk to the hotel; the hotel is along the road, but the entrance down a side turning.... not an issue for safety or anything but we actually walk passed it because we were expecting the entrance along the roadside!

The building itself, from the outside, is quite dated - but then it's pretty hard to change that once its built. Reception is lovely & very trendy - all red and black with large glass chandeliers, leather couches, thick pile rugs and single lily's. Check in was a breeze and the reception was staff were really friendly & helpful. We were given top floor (12) and room 1224!! I loved being this high up - the city views at night with all the lights were great.

Bar area really sumptuous & toilets very clean, breakfast area is also very nice - though we didn’t actually eat at the hotel.

Hallways to the rooms were pretty trendy too - carried on the red, black & white theme with marble art deco statues and the lighting was censored. Walkways were lit at ground level and when you walked into the hallway overhead lights came on- slightly dimmed to avoid that awful brightness you can get. Really nice ambience.

I adored the room!!! Some people I notice have complained that the lighting was ait gadgety and it was - but I thought it was fun. I liked the lighting either side of the bed that changed colour and could be set at whichever you preferred, I like the massive flat screen telly on the wall and the glass tables and the large screen prints instead of stuffy mass produced paintings, & that all the lights could be controlled from the bed. The bed was large & massively comfortable with a menu of different pillows should you not like the 6 that were already supplied.

Bathroom was great too - the usual complimentary toiletries were supplied (shampoo, shower gel, soap, toothpaste & brush, shoe shine) and plenty of towels. Dual sinks were a nice bonus and I loved the shower which had one of those heads that are as large as a plate and makes it feel like rain. Also had a separate shower head for washing hair over the bath which was handy too. Bath and toilet are separated from the sink area by a frosted glass door & there is a switch on the wall which pipes the tv into speakers there so you can catch the news or listen to music in the bath/shower.

Enough storage space - the main hanging area splits the small corridor to the room and the bathroom, with doors on both sides so that clothes can be reached from either in the bathroom or the corridor (the whole wall of the corridor is a mirror). The rail is a light also which illuminates on a sensor also.

Wi-fi connection available and free safety deposit box in the room. (which is big enough to put a netbook in - I had this query myself before I went) plenty of plug sockets, in areas I actually need them.... like near a mirror!

There is a club about 2mins walk but I never heard any noise from it or outside at all. (maybe because we were on 12th floor?) but the club was definitely sound proof as you couldn’t hear music passing by it at 1/2am either. Only noise we heard was the cleaners in the morning but it wasn’t an ungodly hour so it wasn’t an issue. Couldn’t really hear much from the neighbours either.

All the sites were really close by - within walking distance so we didn’t use the metro as much as we thought we might, really only for the airport run and when we went to the theme park.

At €115 Per room per night this hotel was excellent value.

Hope this is of help to anyone reading this but feel free to contact me if you need any details I haven’t covered!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank star001
Reviewed 18 January 2009

Renewed in 2008, the hotel tries to pretend boutique, despite its huge size and its architecture from the 80s. It didn't manage too well, though everyting looks a bit fake.

Beds are ultra-comfortable, and despite the amazing of light switches, they are quite intuitive and you can easily manage to turn lights off.

I was on the last floor (the 12th), but despite this, some street noise could be heard in the room -it was not really annoying, but yet not sound-proof enough.

Service is OK, not more.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank FrenchTraveler001
Reviewed 9 January 2009

I selected the Hotel because it was recently renovated.
I did not know that apparently they employed for the renovation
an Architect which had no sense of practical use.
I could almost not read in the room because of silly desinger
lamps which gave not enough light. On the other side
the nighttable had a colourchangig light which you could change from red to blue to green and so on. Who needs it ?
The windows unfortunately where the old ones, so even on the
10th floor day and night you heard the heavy traffic noise.
The bathroom was equipped with silly little sinks where you could
hardly wash the hands also because the waterpipe was located on
the left side a few centimeters from the porcelain sinkwall.
In the WC they had installed a bidet but had forgotten to apply a
soapholder nearby ! So beware of designer hotels !

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 November 2008

My wife and I stay 3 nights in Nov 2008; the hotel has being recently remodeled in the inside. We loved the modern décor of the rooms and the hallways. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The Ventura metro station is like 30 meters away. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2008

A lot of the reviews on this site are from last year - and they do not do this lovely hotel justice. The hotel has finished most of its refurbishments (gym is still being done) and for me it is by far the best city centreish hotel I have stayed at.

I am a regular business traveller and have stayed at some of the "best" hotels in this area and they all fail to please. It is diffcult to get away from the noise in Madrid and this hotel is set slightly (20 yards or so) off the main road and the sound proofing is brilliant. i know I can get a good night's sleep here. Your sleeping area is far enough from the corridor (with 2 doors in between) so you do not hear the other guests.

The rooms are spacious, bathrooms are clean and finished to a very high standard. There are plasma screens in each room and internet access is gratis (at last a hotel that does not charge for basic needs!) and the room service menu is more than just Cheeses and Ham! The staff are very polite and attentive and the bar area is lovely to relax in.

It is close to San Bernadino which has some of the most diverse eateries around. Near enough so you can walk into the centre and close to all public transport (metro, bus and taxi;s are easy to find.)

I would strongly recommend a stay in this hotel - its not quite what we would class as Five star in the UK.... but for Madrid it is most definately a very very comfortable stay!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)