“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Devon, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights, central location, clean but dated rooms, and a quiet hotel considering only 1 block from Sol. Only issue for me was no external view, our hotel room looked over the hotel foyer. However value for money was spot on. We never ate or drank a thing in the hotel, so cannot comment on that, I would have no issues recommending this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Woolleg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Anselmo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights last week. The hotel is in a great location, close to lots of things to see and do, and yet is on a small, quiet square which is surrounded by restaurant tables and umbrellas providing a nice reprieve from all of the pedestrian traffic a block away.
We got our room by walking in one morning and asking if anything was available. We were shown 2 rooms, both facing the inner courtyard which is now the hotel lobby. The room we chose was on the 5th floor, spacious, beautifully appointed and fairly light even though our window was not facing the square outside. The room was quiet and reasonable priced.
The staff was always helpful. The free internet always worked ( unlike the wi fi in other hotels).
We did not try the breakfast as it was too expensive. We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank david m
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

The location around Pueto del Sol is terrific but this hotel room was just too small for two people and not a lot of luggage (lucky we didn't bring the cat) and the inside room looking into the light well made me and the room feel claustraphobic. The decoration of the room was very dated but in good condition and very well maintained. Showers great. Breakast too expensive at 14e per heaD. Overall not good value.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed for two nights at the end of our trip. Our room was on the top floor so the only noise we heard was the clanging of the church bells at the convent next door, which we liked but might bother some. The location is excellent, close to the Royal Palace and Plaza de Oriente, and even closer to Plaza Mayor and major pedestrian streets and shops. The staff was pleasant but minimal. The room was fine and comfortable, yet little details (e.g. bits of molding) were broken and laying on the floor though repaired the next day. We had a terrace but it had no furniture or seating. We did not have the breakfast buffet. We would still stay here again - but best is to request a room on upper floors with a window to the street.

Room Tip: upper floor, with window to street
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank D R
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Ok, so I spent just one day and night at this hotel just a few days ago. It's a nice little hotel and a nice, safe area that is close to major attractions in Madrid. From the airport to the hotel I was charged $36 euros by taxi and returning to the airport I was charged $45 euros, which I thought was a lot...but the hotel arranged the return taxi so I don't know if they got a commission from the fare. My point is that keep in mind that it takes 30 minutes from the airport to the hotel, so it is a bit pricey if you take a taxi. Maybe you should look into public transportation to save some money.

Well now more about the hotel itself. The room is kind of on the small side, but clean and neat. The room I had didn't have much of a view, not sure about the other rooms. My biggest gripe is that there was no iron in the room. Fine. But no iron at all in the entire hotel that I could borrow??? That is a major disappointment. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to go out with neat, unwrinkled clothes. How in the world can a hotel not have an iron? As travelers, we fold our clothes and place them in our luggages, and by doing this it naturally gets wrinkled...I just can't believe that this hotel doesn't take this into consideration for their guests. I have stayed at hotels in all 6 continents (where there are hotels!), and have never encountered this before. Just the fact that there is not a single iron in the hotel will dissuade me from booking a room here in the future.

Room Tip: Bring your own iron!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AlexTheWorldTraveler
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and loved it. The location, we thought was perfect - quiet enough away from busy roads and traffic yet only a 5/10 minute walk to all the main tourist areas. The staff were very polite and helpful and we would stay here again if we visited Madrid again. Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the square with a little balcony - I had took advice from recent travellers and e-mailed the hotel before we arrived to request this as I didn't fancy an 'internal' room, although I cannot comment on these....As for people saying the rooms are outdated - you have got to remember that this is a traditional spanish hotel and this appealed to us - I don't want to go to Madrid and stay in a Premier Inn hotel that could be anywhere! We really liked the decor, and the room was very clean and quiet - the only thing you could hear were the church bells every morning, but rather that than traffic noise! We had a very enjoyable stay - thank you Hotel San Martin!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lou17Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel is well located with a short walk away from the metro stops, royal palace and shops. It is certainly not the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at; the room was murky and old-fashioned with a horrid carpet and mint-green wallpaper, complete with gold-framed paintings. However, the bed was as big as anywhere, comfortable and clean, and while the bathroom was on the small side it was clean and the shower was very powerful.

Our 'view' was towards the glass-ceilinged courtyard so we chose to keep our curtains closed. On the plus side though, this meant that our room was very quiet with no noise from the street to disturb us.

Special mention to the restaurant staff who were all very helpful and chatty, after a long day walking around madrid it was nice to get back to the hotel and enjoy a glass of wine outside.

Carefully recommended; I would put down a special request to not get a room located like ours was.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends