“Great, Compared to the Gualags”

Intur Palacio San Martin
Ranked #81 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 11 October 2013

In a stark contrast with my typical experience reading TripAdvisor reviews, I must strongly disagree with everyone here. My wife and I checked in last night and we're greeted by two fairly rude and unhelpful gentlemen. We were given Room 2, on the ground floor, which was actually below street level.

Cold
Austere
Barren
Desolate
Inhospitable

Think of a room made to resemble the Berlin Wall. The floors are cold stone (dirty with someone else's hair). The walls, gray. One window with bar that let's in little light, dept for the shadows of strangers passing by. The size of the room is not enough to impact your desire to escape. Every time the door closed, there was a slam as if I was escaping or being locked in my cell.

The hotel is in a great location with a good enough restaurant out front, but none of that lessens the fact that thinking about the room depresses me. It makes me think of the life of as an ascetic monk. I would never dare book a room here again for fear of having this room again. It is so bad and there are so many hotels in Madrid, it isn't worth the risk.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Traveling4BiznFun
HotelesIntur, Gerente at Intur Palacio San Martin, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

"Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor. We regret that your experience wasn´t as good as expected. It is thanks to comments like yours that we can keep improving and strive for excellence in our services which is what we aim for. We hope you can give us another chance. Do not hesitate to contact us for anything you may need. Yours sincerely,"

There are newer reviews for Intur Palacio San Martin

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We spent four days here, reception staff were excellent and helped us book restaurants. The location is ideal, within walking distance of the Palacio Real, Plaza Mayor and, if you have a coffee on the way, the galleries and museums around the Prado area. The location is on a quiet square but with frequent taxis passing on the side road. Nice outside seating area for snacks, and very good breakfasts. Also very close to a branch of the El Corte Inglés department store.

Room Tip: Inside rooms on the higher floors are probably best
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AustinSpeedy
Reviewed 25 September 2013

A nice hotel with somewhat more than basic amenities (in-room wifi, room fridge, on-site restaurant). Desk staff are helpful and responsive. The rooms have been remodeled and upgraded since we stayed here 2 years ago, and are nicely appointed with a quiet HVAC system. Interior rooms open into a closed courtyard - lots of light but hermetically sealed. If you need fresh air ask for an outside room. Beds are comfortable. Didn't try the restaurant cuz prices were high. MANY excellent food choices in the neighborhood. You are half way between Gran Via and Arenal, 3 blocks from Puerta del Sol, and a 10 E taxi from Atocha train station.

Room Tip: If you want fresh air, ask for room on outside, not facing enclosed courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelesIntur, Gerente at Intur Palacio San Martin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

"Dear Customer,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with other travelers. It's nice to read those positive comments about us since this is what all employees work for at the Intur Family.
We hope to welcoming you again very soon at any of our hotels, please do not hesitate and contact us if you need to make your booking. Yours sincerely,"

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Arriving at intur palacio we were greeted by a nice woman at reception who gave us keys to our room. Good start.
The room was located on the ground floor however it was beneath street level. It was situated immediately next to an office and the common toilets for guests in the foyer & restaurant. This created considerable noise.
The room was like a dungeon as the only natural light that shone in was through an air vent style window. Otherwise, it was 4 concrete walls, dark and cold.
We were obviously disappointed about this, as the hotel's website and the external booking website we booked through didn't indicate any rooms such as the one we were assigned.
We went to the reception where we were met with protest. The manager said photos were on the website. We asked her to look. To her surprise we were correct and were then offered a nicer room as per pics on the website at an additional fee. She did offer free breakfast. We took her up on the offer, however, unhappy to have to pay extra, we obliged.
Later we called reception to book us a restaurant. Instead the man on the phone started debating the legitimacy of our room situation. As it turns out, restaurant reservation was NEVER made!
Finally at check out, we were charged for breakfast which we of course debated.

Pro: our room 414 was lovely in the end. The location is great.
Cons: we were treated like garbage. The staff speak in a disgusting manner. You can't leave anything valuable in the room that doesn't fit in the safe (as per TA reviews). They didn't follow up on reservation requests.
Check out, no apology, more debate, and an awful feel leaving what is an absolutely beautiful city!
Wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: 414 was a great room, however, the beds were joined together to make a king size and they separated...
1  Thank Bg_ALoz

Dear Customer,
First of all thank you for recording on Tripadvisor your experience at our hotel. We regret not having succeeded in meeting your needs in relation to your booking, I would like to inform you that we have taken appropriate actions and this situation will not happen again. We would kindly ask you to get in touch with us so we could give you a deeper explanation of what happened.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel was booked in a tour package that my group purchased. It had originally been the American Embassy. Unfortunately, now the embassy is a grey stone federal looking building. Not

My room was clean and bed okay however, the bathroom was not good. The toilet and bidet was across from each other and both less than 12 inches from the bathtub/shower. I took sponge baths so I wouldn't fall trying to get in and out of the tub.

Internet was spotty. Since I have a business, I always have to work...even when I am with my groups. I called down to the front desk for help because the Internet would go off while I was working and I had to always reset it with a different access name. This was so frustrating. Also, I felt the man at the front desk got impatient with me because I was told him to wait on the phone while I tried to get on the Internet. It was later in the evening so I know he could not have been busy with customers.

There are 2 small elevators. One is "historic" with a little more room. They seemed to work well.

Because the hotel was booked in a tour package, it is possible that other rooms would be different and better than the ones my group received.

I really got upset when I put my RED "DO NOT DISTURB" SIGN on the outside door handle. I also went to the housekeeper on the floor to tell her not to clean my room because my work was lying out and there was nothing that I needed for her to do. She took the sign off the handle and came in anyway.

Breakfast was included in our package and was very good. It was typical European breakfast. If not included with your room rate, it is expensive.

What I did love about the hotel was the outdoor dining. Twice my group ate there. We enjoyed our ham, cheese, tomato, basil sandwiches. They were excellent and the price was proper for Spain.

If you can walk up and down slight inclined streets from the hotel, then the location is wonderful. Because I have walking problems, this was difficult for me.

I found the front desk staff acted like they were to busy to give you the proper attention you needed. However, I appreciated the fact that they could speak some English.

There is a lovely lobby to relax in with comfortable seating.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor. We regret that your experience wasn´t as good as expected. It is thanks to comments like yours that we can keep improving and strive for excellence in our services which is what we aim for. Yours sincerely

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel is within a few minutes walk from the center of Madrid (Puerta del Sol), from Plaza Mayor, from Plaza de Espana, and from El Callao and La Gran Via (where you can catch the Madrid hop-on tour bus) and sightsee this fabulous, vibrant city. It is also just steps from El Corte Ingles, the big clothing store and supermarket, and all kinds of pubs and restaurants for all budgets.
The hotel is in an old refurbished palace in the heart of Madrid but in a quiet little plaza (Plaza San Martin) next to a convent (Descalzas Reales) where they offer mass daily and the chapel is a real jewel for art buffs.
As far as the room is concerned, I had asked for a double bed and the room I got was too small and facing an inner unattractive courtyard, so I asked for a room facing the street and we were given this bright, ample room with two twin beds joined together, a small balcony, a nice closet with a safe, a very nice modern bathroom with tub and shower, and WiFi access at all times.
Wouldn't stay anywhere else next time in Madrid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Descalzas Convent with two twin beds.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelesIntur, Gerente at Intur Palacio San Martin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel last year and will be booking again for next year. Its within an short walking distance to train station, Plaza Mayor, architectural attractions and the local market which is brilliant for all kinds of breakfast, lunch or take away items and produce. The staff are friendly, our room was very spacious and its located in a square tucked behind any major road. Perfect.
We had three rooms, 6 people and taxis were organised whenever we wanted although that was rare.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

"Dear customer,
Thank you for sharing your fantastic comments about our hotel on Tripadvisor.
We will share them with the rest of the team since reviews like yours motivate us to keep doing a better job everyday and prove us that all we do is finally noticed on the stay of our clients. Do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit (hopefully soon) to any of our hotels.
Yours sincerely,"