“Unhelpfulness Spoiled It”

Ranked #49 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Unhelpfulness Spoiled It”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We booked this hotel based on the positive reviews by the majority of people on this website however apart from the central location our experience was not a good one - so please beware.
When we arrived the receptionist provided no welcome or normal courtesies. I asked if our requirements that we had requested prior to booking had been possible to provide, he said yes and just pointed to the lift. When we got into the room they hadn’t, it wasn’t the fact that they hadn’t - it was more annoying that we had been incorrectly informed.
Although clean, the room was certainly not 4 star standard by a long way in my experience. Small, looking out onto a shaft with pipes and the bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable. The cleaning staff then entered our room without evening knocking first (the button on the door to say ‘do not disturb’ doesn’t appear to function) so use the sign if you don’t want caught in an embarrassing situation.
For one morning we wanted a wake up call, when the receptionist decided to get up he just pointed to the concierge and informed us that it was his job. The concierge was talking to someone already so we waited, even in another language it was obvious that he was talking & laughing with a friend and just ignored us. After several minutes we gave up and left.
On check out again a different receptionist wasn’t exactly helpful, just shoving the printed bill in front of me and the card/pin machine. She never asked how our stay was but by that point we just wanted to leave anyway so it was probably a good thing.
I realise we could have complained at several stages, but given it was supposed to be a romantic break it would just have spoiled it even more & personally I never fancy my chances complaining when I don’t have a good comprehension of the language.
I’ve spent the last 20 years of my life in all sorts of hotels all around the world, mostly without any issues & this is the first time I’ve ever felt the need to write a review like this. We left extremely disappointed given the high hopes we had based on the reviews – possibly we were just unlucky but I honestly doubt it given that it appears that multiple staff have a similar attitude. I realise our experience doesn’t correlate to the majority but please take this into consideration and explore other options.

Room Tip: Although apparently noisier according to other reviews, request one that doesn't look out into a...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank GBB_Traveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rhode Island
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We were traveling with our older teenage children and were given two beautiful adjoining rooms. Liabeny is so centrally located, there's no need for taxis or a car. Metro system was easy enough to figure out. They were kind enough to hold some of our luggage while we traveled over to Italy for a few days. There's so much at your fingertips...museums, tapas bars, Playa del Sol and other plazas. Fun city!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed recently at the Hotel Liabeny which is excellently located near to the Sol Square and Metro station. Many Madrid sites are within walking distance, and its ideally located if you want to be at the heart of this lovely and vibrant city. There are so many restaurants, bars, shops around you are really spolit for choice in the immediate area.

The Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful offering tips on directions etc, and were also accommodating in allowing us to check in early.

Only reservation would be that the bathroom looked like it could be in needs of updating, but apart from that, everything was clean and furnished accordlingly to your needs.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel - it was great, Right near the city centre, within walking distance for all the shops, cafes, resturants and night life that you could ever want.

The rooms are really spacious - I had a sinlr room and it was perfect just for one. The toilet was a good size with a fanastice shower that was so powerful it nearly blew me in to the wall (I love that when it happen!). The rooms are very clean.

The reception and concierge were very helpful.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Madrid.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Just returned from a 3 night stay in this hotel. Have to say it was very enjoyable. Madrid is a fabulous city, this hotel is right in the heart of it, great room, great service and excellent location, within walking distance of most tourist sites. Staff were helpful & courteous. Didnt eat here but there are several very good restaurants nearby. Would recommend it to anyone on a city break.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Oslo
Reviewed 21 September 2011

There are 2 positive things to say about this hotel - location and free wi-fi.

My room, although a single room, is the smallest I have ever seen. I can live with that but the worse part was that it reeked of old dust. It is clear that both carpet and curtains are in a desperate need of proper cleaning.

Walls are paper thin, I could hear everything that went on in the corridor and in the rooms on the side and above. In addition the lift engine kept me awake most of the night, even with earplugs.

Again, this is not a 4 star propery, I changed to a 3 star close by which is much better.Location is great though, walking distance to everything and a few minutes from Gran Via and Sol, but there are way better options in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Pusenin
cambridge uk
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I have stayed at Hotel Liabeny twice now and I have to say it is a good choice for business travellers. They have a good range of facilities - reliable wi-fi, small gym (yeah the equiptment is quite old but the bikes are pretty good so if you are stuck in meetings all day it gives you the chance to move around a bit!) The cost is very low compared to other hotels with similar facilities and in a similar location. They have their own restaurant but there is also a small traditional style cafe bar in the hotel and this is great to grab a coffee without feeling as though you are in the usual un-inspiring hotel surroundings :-)

Metro stop Gran Via is only a few minutes walk away so getting around anywhere in madrid is really easy. I also found a nice vegetarian restaurant just across the road so that's worth a try if you don't eat meat.

Rooms are a bit on the small side but never mind, it is a clean hotel with a great location so I don't mind making some trade offs :-) I will stay here again when on business in Madrid.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business