“Nice and comfortable but not great”
Review of Hotel Liabeny

Hotel Liabeny
Ranked #51 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Sydney, Australia
“Nice and comfortable but not great”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We chose this hotel based on previous reviews, location, and the fact that they offered a triple room. The hotel is very nice and obviously extremely downtown, as you can't get much more downtown than this. The hotel is very well appointed, furnishings are elegant and the staff professional. The rooms were a touch small but adequate and I think its star rating of 4 is deserved. We found the staff to be very good and a stand out member was the Concierge, Antonio. He was exceptional, engaging, and took a genuine interest in us and our well-being. Overall it is a good choice when visiting Madrid if you want to be in the very centre.

Room Tip: We found our room to be noisy as we were directly above the street full of party animals until 7am...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Its a lovely hotel, nicely furnished throughout. Good sized rooms, comfortable and very clean. Good gym, great restaurant and relaxing bar area (good for meeting friends and business associates) with a great café connected to hotel where you can get a fantastic cup of tea!

Its greatest asset is the location - a glut of restaurant's and other eateries within a very short walking distance and if you want shops, there are more than you can shake a stick at right on the doorstep!

Loved it and will absolutely, definitely return!

Room Tip: Inner rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BnV2912
Tivoli, Italy
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I've been 2 nights this Jan at the Liabeny hotel for business in Madrid. The hotel is an old fashioned palace closed to Plaza del Carme at just 100 metres from Puerta del Sol. The location is stunning, few steps away from the main attractions including thousands restaruants, shops and cafes. Interiors are in very good conditions but furnitures are genuine vintage (in the sense they're not refurbishes for several years now). The concierge staff is prepared, polite and efficient: very fast check in and check out procedures welcome you in a friendly but professional atmosphere. Carpet in the room is cleaned with few exceptions around the minibar, bathrooms are reminiscent in shape of those very popular champagne colour during seventies, but overall ok with much space around the washbasin, comfortable shower and good towels. The bed is very comfortable and offer an excellent relax (and in spite of the location no noises at night). The only things who left me a little puzzled are the room amenities (very basic according 4-star European standards) any hook for the coat, any tea nad coffee set, very poor bath set (products do not have an excellent quality) and when I found out I forgot my slippers at home and I asked at the reception they replied "sorry madam but we do not provide such items"; last but not the least the wi-fi connection is a mousetrap.... when you finally enter the system it works one in ten. A very special remark for the breakfast: the staff is incredibly polite and efficient (waiters speak a very poor English) and the breakfast offer is wide and with an excellent quality for all the products (and even the cappuccino is good). Therefore I would say I will definetely come back at the Liabeny Hotel, because the basics for a pleasant stay are assured... but maybe the next time I will be careful not to forget my slippers and my bath set.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Hotel is situated in the centre of Madrid about 250 yards from Sol Metro and the square. The rooms were clean and tidy, with a 'turn down' service in the evening and were very spacious. The hotel is smart with a good bar and lounge on the ground floor' The staff couldn't have been more helpful particularly the reception team. Leisure facilities were also very good. Very impressed overall. I will stay here if I am in Madrid again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blok103
Ballerup, Denmark
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in early January.

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It'll be difficult to find a better one. Within walking distance of pretty much every central site, as well as a Metro station almost next door and a large El Corte Inglés (shopping center with a large well-stocked supermarket in the bottom floor) one block away.

Rooms were decent if a little bit dated. Very clean and effective housekeeping, used glasses were exchanged every morning, even when I accidentally put one in the closet.

Front desk staff have adequate English and are quite helpful and friendly.

I travelled with two friends (we each had our own single room) and they were a bit different. My room had a nice temperature, while my friends were quite warm and their A/C didn't work. Their rooms were completely quiet at night, while mine must have been close to some kind of pump or other machinery. I'm a heavy sleeper, so it didn't bother me, but light sleepers may want to avoid room 601.

Wi-Fi was very weak in my room, but acceptable in my friends room.

Overall a nice stay and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 601 if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is my preferred hotel in Madrid - I have stayed in severa othersl. The decor is smart and attractive, the double rooms I have stayed in are well equipped and spacious. The location, close to Sol and Gran Via, is excellent, and I have not found street noise to be a problem. The staff is very good - the right balance of professional and friendly. Particular mention of the night receptionist when I had my phone stolen in the street - he was excellent in helping me sort this out with the phone company, really the best. I have eaten good breakfasts and dinners in the main restaurant, and also found the cafeteria good for light meals and drinks. The bar is comfortable and welcoming, very pleasant place to enjoy a drink. I now use only this hotel in Madrid, it meets all my requirements in a hotel..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank salcuth
Hillsdale, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel is a very nice small hotel, the lobby is inviting and the room was very spacious and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It is centrally located near the Puerto del Sol we could walk to the Prado and the Palace. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: On thursday night there was a nightclub across the street that was noisy in the early am. Ask to fa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple